Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 11:03 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
That's a good link...note sure if some of those details of the Community Smith project had been stated before...

ECU registrar's office will lease half the space, and a clothing retailer will come in. And in the other CS project, it listed a restaurant and nanobrewery....which I think was referencing Long Leaf Brewery.
I'm sure there is a bit of "bias" because it is an advertisement, but I can almost bet people west of here will be pleasantly surprised at what is going on here.

And I am not sure how I missed that DSM news. When Metrics was bought out, it was big news here. Some quick googling found this article. I didn't realize the DSM plant here is the largest contract manufacturing facility in North America.
That article states the new company will be headquartered in Durham. Will all of the HQ functions here move to Durham? And let Greenville/High Point deal with all the manufacturing? I am not completely sure how Greenville will end up in this.

Also nice to see the Advanced Forensic DNA Analysis lab mentioned, since that is still a relatively new company here. I wonder if the new Forensic Science degree here played a part?

PCC is the seventh-largest enrollment of the 58 schools in the N.C. Community College System. Last year, enrollment increased 6%, making it one of the few that grew.

On the med school's admission policy "For the past 20 years, the medical school has only accepted Tar Heels, who are encouraged to stay in the state after graduation." Probably should've used another word for North Carolinians here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 11:59 AM

144 posts, read 189,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I hope its true, but, to me, it seems a little far fetched to plan on getting any money from Cisco. And if we do, getting enough to fund a PAC building. But I hope it is true!!
I found the Ballard interview. The Cisco lawsuit/Performing Arts Center discussion starts at 16:54 at this link. You think he's serious or not?

Old 03-22-2014, 01:44 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
This place (former Andy's/Jethro's on Cotanche St) has been "Coming Soon" for months, but have recently put up signage. Not sure if late Spring/early Summer is a good time to launch a restaurant in downtown Greenville. Maybe they'll be alright if they focus on the court and legal community.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:39 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
I wouldn't have confidence in that working.

That site, IMO, is better suited to be torn down and re-built as mixed use. Just about any commercial component has struggled there because of minimal visibility and little actual traffic. It's just out of the way.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:15 AM

277 posts, read 435,951 times
Greenville's small enough for word to get around. If it's a good product it will flourish. If its "meh" it will whither. Peasants pub opened shortly after the students left last year.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:24 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,075 times
^^^ Destined to fail. I agree, the building needs to be torn down & redeveloped.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Agree. That block could use some revitalization. Ideally, a hotel would be great in that block for the future ECU PAC. But I doubt any hotel would want to move there with nothing in the general area to attract people (aside from 6 football weekends for ECU games)

Sad thing is that the building could be torn down and turned into a parking lot and could probably get more use from people wanting to park for court downtown. May be a good shot to be a parking deck?

I don't wish bad things on businesses. I know how much money and time and energy people spend making that dream of owning a business come true. But as history has proven. That's simply not a good area for a business.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:52 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
I found the Ballard interview. The Cisco lawsuit/Performing Arts Center discussion starts at 16:54 at this link. You think he's serious or not?
Hard to tell. Almost saying he thinks it will be a lot of money in the settlement. Not "new pressbox" money as Troy D said, but higher as in "new PAC building". Kinda using another metaphor to paint a picture. But it sounds like it could be big windfall for ECU.

Here is a link to the actual mention:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...qGDKO0Q#t=1084

Old 03-24-2014, 05:03 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
From Greenville mayor Allen Thomas' Facebook page:

There is Talk of 2 Potential Bond Referendums to put before the Voters in Greenville :
1.) ROADS & INFRASTRUCTURE BOND--- Our road system is configured and maintained for a city of 30,000, we are close to 100,000 in population. Lack of investment the past 20 yrs. in Greenville has our roads on a 70-year road resurfacing cycle. Standard is a 25-year cycle. Resurfacing to modern standard is $100k per lane mile. Failed roads which crumble cost $1 Million per lane mile to rebuild. Of Greenville's 700 lane miles 90 --100 lane miles are nearing failed road status unless addressed in next 2 years. This has been a long going item which should have been addressed years ago with long term strategy but was kicked down the road.
The good news. Just like good home maintenance ONCE we get our roads caught-up to speed we go to *micro-resurfacing which costs only $10k per per mile and a 3rd the time to resurface --- going forward in the future. Modern roads, functionality and infrastructure are a requirement to compete for jobs, to bring more retail, mfg. and economic development.
2.) PARKS AND PUBLIC SPACE BOND----- There is talk by some on city council to launch an additional bond referendum to the voters to ask for additional funding for parks, public spaces and greenways similar to the attached LINK of Raleigh's referrendum BELOW.*
Greenville has traditionally been at the forefront of outdoor, quality of life green space and nature amenities. We are among the top communities in the state in greenways and amount of park space per capita.
There is feedback from the city of a great deal of kids' playground equipment and areas which are nearing the end of their useful life. These areas will be in need of replacement in the near future to continue existing use by families and maintain strong sustainability for a growing population to get outdoors in the future.
There is feedback and input from some who wish to take it a step further-- to the next level to expand and fund several additional and new parks across the city.

BOTH BONDS WOULD BE BASED ON IMPLEMENTATION PLANNING FOR THE SUSTAINABILITY, GROWTH AND VIABILITY OF GREENVILLE FOR MANY YEARS GOING FORWARD-- JUST AS OUR PARENTS AND PREVIOUS GENERATION LAID THE GROUNDWORK FOR US.

ASKING FOR YOUR INPUT AND PRIORITIZATION BELOW.----THIS IS A DISCUSSION WHICH NEEDS TO BE HELD. EVERYONE DESERVES THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE HEARD, TO WEIGH-IN THOUGHTS AND IDEAS.

WHAT SAY YOU, TO THESE 2 POTENTIAL BOND REFERENDUMS PUT BEFORE YOU THE VOTERS OF GREENVILLE -- FOR OUR FUTURE.

https://www.facebook.com/MayorAllenThomas

Old 03-24-2014, 05:58 PM

192 posts, read 280,905 times
I am VERY excited to share that there will be a small organic and local produce grocer will be opening in the old Peppermints location on Firetower Rd next to ASAP Photo across from where Blockbuster was. I don't know about you but it is about time that this is happening. I know that this area has been needing an actual organic grocer that is dedicated to providing safe and healthy and even local food for the community. It's clear that Oakmont is not interested in growing and providing organic produce and meat and Harris Teeter is limited and expensive. Fresh Market, if you don't know, is a joke. They just jack up the prices and mix in a few specialty items and let customers assume that every thing there is healthy because of the prices and the name of the store. I can't stand how misleading they are.
I know the owners that are opening the new place and they are by far more concerned about the health and well being of the community than anyone I've met. I'm very confident everything there will be organic or as close to organic as possible. It'll be nice to be able to shop locally and not have to hit 3 or 4 different stores to piece together a cart of non-toxic food. I'm super excited. I'll have more as things progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina