Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 09:03 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times

Advertisements

Here are some architectural renderings of the Parking deck downtown.

4th Street side

Corner of 4th (right side) and Cotanche (left side)

Cotanche St

I believe opposite of 4th St side, behind Pirate's Den and other businesses on 5th St.

I believe this is where the current open space is on Evans. Where that office building would have gone.

I believe opposite side from Cotanche. Near Dale's and Tipsy Teapot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 AM

People who use the convention center have demanded the following needs upgrading.

Improved aesthetics and facility upgrades such as flexible lighting, electronic reader boards and signage, additional breakout rooms with the breakouts in the same building as the vendors, separate meal and specific function rooms, and ballroom space.

The company, Exhibit Hall Managers (EHM), who runs the Convention Center hired the company that was the architect for the new Wilmington Convention Center. They recommended:
  • Construct 10,780 square feet of new breakout and seminar rooms (10 rooms), including additional bathrooms
  • Construct new landscaped patio, as well as improve general landscaping and exterior lighting
  • Improve audio visual capability and acoustics
  • Provide new furniture and fixtures
  • Add entry canopy and upgrade signage
  • Upgrade the building lobby and pre-function space
  • Incorporate artistic and historic elements into the design

That construction will make the CC have over 51k sqft, which is competitive for other medium sized facilities, like Wilmington. Raleigh/Greensboro are over 200k, while New Bern is over 16k.

The plan is to build the additional space on the eastern side, between the CC and the Hilton.

Also, EHM has had a long-term arrangement with the City of Greenville to operate and manage the Convention Center. This arrangement requires EHM to absorb all operational losses related to the facility.

There is a new Hilton franchise agreement that will put in $1.7mil into refurbishing the existing hotel.

After all of that occurs, the CC, Hilton, Hampton Inn, and the 32acre Greenville Convention Center campus will have a total investment over $42 mil. The economic impact to the County, due to the expansion, will increase from $24mil (today) to $34mil by 2020.

Hopefully groundbreaking will occur by May 2014. Construction lasting until June 2015, with occupancy being August 2015. This expansion should meet the needs for the next 10-15 years.

The cost of upgrades/expansion would be around $4mil. The current 0.03 Hotel/Motel Occupancy tax would cover the cost, and not need any property tax money.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:51 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
I like the deck design, nice look to it.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:41 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Agree. The deck design looks great. Can't wait til they start construction

Old 10-07-2013, 01:18 PM

Pitt Community College is seeking passage of a $19.9 Million Bond Referendum in the November 5th municipal election. The bond will support construction and ongoing operating expenses for two projects.

The two projects will build a new science building to put everything under one roof, and relocate the BLET center on main campus and repurpose the existing facility (Greenville Center) for industrial training.

PCC Bond Referendum

Old 10-07-2013, 01:21 PM

Even though I don't have a say so, I wonder if PCC has a future plan to build a new building on the Health Sciences campus. Maybe make it a "community college" building for community colleges in surrounding counties to use as well. As far as I know, those students/faculty/staff don't have anywhere of their own to use for lectures/studying/offices etc.

I also would love to see a new PCC building downtown. For night classes, general ed, or something that would fit well there. That would increase foot traffic there, and bring PCC classes closer to people north of the river.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:05 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
I take it the convention center still expects the visitors center to move out of their facility regardless of whether the Evans St. site gets built or not. If they just want to move it there are a few empty spaces in the heart of downtown, including a large storefront directly across the street from the empty lot on Evans.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:14 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,075 times
Never have I been so excited about a parking deck! It may take a few years but it will be a worth while project once a lot of the renovation is finished downtown. Hell, it should immediately help at least with the Court House alone, trying to find a parking spot down there is a joke right now. Beautiful renderings for the parking deck!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Never have I been so excited about a parking deck! It may take a few years but it will be a worth while project once a lot of the renovation is finished downtown. Hell, it should immediately help at least with the Court House alone, trying to find a parking spot down there is a joke right now. Beautiful renderings for the parking deck!
I am thinking this will open up redevelopment of current parking lots to something else. Such as the lot north of 4th and Cotanche, or north of 4th and Evans.

The slow process of construction in now vacant lots (parking lots etc) will do wonders to the look and feel downtown.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:26 AM

Topping-out ceremony held for Cypress Glen addition

Brasfield & Gorrie recently celebrated the topping out of the Cypress Glen Retirement Community Wellness Center addition in Greenville.

“We are proud to celebrate this significant project milestone,” Brasfield & Gorrie Project Manager Jarrett Frazier said.

As part of the official ceremony, Brasfield & Gorrie placed the final steel structure on the addition, signifying the end of the project’s structural construction phase. To commemorate the occasion, residents and staff of the wellness center signed the final beam before it was hoisted to its resting place.

“Bringing the vision for this wellness center to life has been a team effort,” Cypress Glen Executive Director Laurie Stallings said. “We are honored to make our mark on this new facility by signing the final beam, and we look forward to the completion of the project.”

Cypress Glen, 100 Hickory St., offers a variety of living options, including independent living with apartments and cottages, assisted living, memory care and skilled nursing.

The 18,400-square-foot wellness center addition will include a swimming pool, aerobics and weight training areas, a spa, a renovated library, a private dining addition, and a green roof terrace. Site development will include outdoor activity space, including a Tai Chi court and koi pond.

Construction of the $3 million wellness center is expected to be completed in January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina