Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 10:45 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
They talked about DC for a while. Does anyone know if they are ever going to do it?
Maybe after this next runway extension. I would think somewhere like DC would cost a lot to fly to. But, flying to NYC, which is further away, could be more comparable price as Raleigh -->NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 10:53 AM

145 posts, read 266,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I know the fee included marketing advice and trend info, but they probably could have gotten that info for next to nothing from a helpful ECU phd. The logo and slogan could have come from ideas and submissions from the community. $90K is a nice chunk of change and could have been allocated elsewhere. It's only worth a cost if the consultants directly brings employers or investors to town. They don't, so why pay for something you can do yourself?

Mostly, unless your brand new at doing something, I'm against consultants. They get paid to tell you things you should already know to function in your business. About ten years ago the company I work for hired a couple of these clowns, and it's been downhill ever since. Not that they caused it. Like I said, if you're experienced and feel the need to pay for advice, you're probably in trouble.
Well, I think the slogan and logo are a positive thing for Greenville. It's a way of saying that we are changing and ready for more companies but the people are still just as friendly and we might keep getting bigger but you can't change the southern hospitality. It demonstrates that we have a clear focus on our vision for the future and that includes bringing more companies to our area.

But instead of looking at something different as a negative thing we should be looking at this as positive. What was the Greenville logo before? I'm pretty sure we didn't even have one(i think it was the city seal).

Old 10-15-2013, 11:20 AM

892 posts, read 1,342,075 times
I second everything Piratesrock said above. Was it a lot of money? Yeah, it was a good amount of money for a logo & slogan, but the long term benefits out weigh the cost in my opinion. It's a tough thing because you'll never really know how much it has helped or not helped, but I think it's another step in the right direction for a city getting serious about wanting to grow.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:36 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
The key to the logo thing is to actually have one and use it. There is no reason Greenville can't compete for companies on a national scale. And you want to be as diverse as possible, not just grow in the medical and educational sectors.

Greenville is rapidly approaching 100K (Metro area much larger), is a regional center, has a low cost of living, has direct highway access to I-95 with good educational and medical facilities. The State should be giving out extra incentives to recruit business there because of the surrounding area's that Greenville increasingly supports.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:30 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Some things we should do ourselves is all I'm saying. Paying outsiders a lot of money for a tag line is not only a waste of money, it's a waste of local talent.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Some things we should do ourselves is all I'm saying. Paying outsiders a lot of money for a tag line is not only a waste of money, it's a waste of local talent.
I can kinda agree, but it is too early to know if its truly a waste of money.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:41 PM

How awesome would something like this look downtown? This one is going up in the Glenwood South district in Raleigh.

Demolition in Glenwood South marks beginning of new Carolina Ale House - Triangle Business Journal

Hopefully The Georgetown can snag a good restaurant, and it be successful there.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:35 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The key to the logo thing is to actually have one and use it. There is no reason Greenville can't compete for companies on a national scale. And you want to be as diverse as possible, not just grow in the medical and educational sectors.

Greenville is rapidly approaching 100K (Metro area much larger), is a regional center, has a low cost of living, has direct highway access to I-95 with good educational and medical facilities. The State should be giving out extra incentives to recruit business there because of the surrounding area's that Greenville increasingly supports.
I agree, but what industries is Greenville well positioned to attract? The health care industry ballooned in past years due to a high proportion of people on Medicaid and its designation as an underserved area.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:59 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
With the number of solar farms popping up in the East, it seems that this may be the start of something good. Maybe a solar farm company could move their headquarters to Greenville and could have several farms located throughout the Eastern portion of the state. I'm guessing it would be considered a "high-tech" job, and I don't think we have had many of those types of jobs in this area.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:23 AM

892 posts, read 1,342,075 times
Watch the Mayor debate here if you're interested:

Candidates for Greenville mayor square off in 2nd Tuesday debate - WNCT

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion & own vote, with that said I'm backing Thomas again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina