Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 11:40 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I saw this recently & have forgotten about it. I'm not sure if it's open yet or not. If it ism horrible marketing job thus far. They really need a billboard or something to get the word out. It could be successful if it's not a piece or crap inside since there is nothing like that in town.
Seriously! If they had a college-night, or whatever with "adult beverages" or something that an age-group over 18 could enjoy, it would do really well.

Hopefully they don't make it a kids-only type place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 12:32 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
This is not an old warehouse. No, it is the backside of the 5th St. Community Smith project. It's a labor of love to restore old buildings, but totally worth it!

Old 03-19-2014, 01:46 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Phil A Deplhia,

Those are very interesting pictures!! I'm sure the rain does not help the "look" of the buildings. Makes you wonder how many other places downtown look this way. I'm sure this will look great after this is done. Has anything changed on the front side yet? Are the previous businesses still there?

Old 03-19-2014, 02:31 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Phil A Deplhia,

Those are very interesting pictures!! I'm sure the rain does not help the "look" of the buildings. Makes you wonder how many other places downtown look this way. I'm sure this will look great after this is done. Has anything changed on the front side yet? Are the previous businesses still there?
They're vacant now and being restored. The corner store now has a side window. It's progressing nicely. It appears that the rear doors and windows will actually exist and be used again, which I always like in downtown buildings.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:36 PM

192 posts, read 280,905 times
Quote:
I believe they are still in the planning stages for that theater near Winslow's. But that center would only hold 100-150 people at most.

Learned last night that ECU has plans of building a new Performing Arts Center on 1st Street. But it may be another 10 years before it's even put into motion. Once that comes downtown, it will be a much better place to be.
100-150 seems like more than enough to help improve the area and take the monopoly that ECU essentially has on any performing arts productions. I know some professional performers (ballet, dancing) that do shows in Raleigh because there's nothing here for them. It'd be great to have another venue, especially one that is downtown adding to the atmosphere and helping the local businesses instead of feeding primarily into ECU.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:37 PM

144 posts, read 189,798 times
Default ECU Performing and Visual Arts Center on First Street

Quote:
I believe they are still in the planning stages for that theater near Winslow's. But that center would only hold 100-150 people at most.

Learned last night that ECU has plans of building a new Performing Arts Center on 1st Street. But it may be another 10 years before it's even put into motion. Once that comes downtown, it will be a much better place to be.
According to Chancellor Ballard, when ECU wins its lawsuit against Cisco Systems they will be paying for the Performing Arts Center. Of course, it may be ten years before that is resolved.

Location of the Performing Arts Center on First Street along with University Hotel across the street (also on First Street) will really activate that part of town. If the city gets the Town Common plan right (the plan needs to provide for more active uses than it currently does) and work with developers to build 4-5 story mixed use development (with outside dining) all along First Street across from the Town Common, Greenville would actually have something that would draw people downtown.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:56 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
This is not an old warehouse. No, it is the backside of the 5th St. Community Smith project. It's a labor of love to restore old buildings, but totally worth it!

Is that the Piggly Wiggly pig painted on the back door there?

Old 03-19-2014, 11:35 PM

145 posts, read 266,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
100-150 seems like more than enough to help improve the area and take the monopoly that ECU essentially has on any performing arts productions. I know some professional performers (ballet, dancing) that do shows in Raleigh because there's nothing here for them. It'd be great to have another venue, especially one that is downtown adding to the atmosphere and helping the local businesses instead of feeding primarily into ECU.
I think if the theater turns out to be a success (which i feel like it will) then I think Greenville would be more likely to consider building a nice performing arts center downtown but they would want to be sure there is a demand for it first. Great thing about performing arts centers is that they also bring bands and musical groups to town as well.

In time, I think we will see one built by either the City or ECU. Would be a lot better for both of them to partner up to build one though.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:39 PM

145 posts, read 266,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
This is really exciting! I always hate to see old brick buildings that have been painted and "modernized" cause they really add a nice downtown feel to a city. Modern architecture is great but old brick warehouse style buildings look much better in a downtown IMO.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:29 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
According to Chancellor Ballard, when ECU wins its lawsuit against Cisco Systems they will be paying for the Performing Arts Center. Of course, it may be ten years before that is resolved.

Location of the Performing Arts Center on First Street along with University Hotel across the street (also on First Street) will really activate that part of town. If the city gets the Town Common plan right (the plan needs to provide for more active uses than it currently does) and work with developers to build 4-5 story mixed use development (with outside dining) all along First Street across from the Town Common, Greenville would actually have something that would draw people downtown.
I have wondered whether ECU theater arts alum Sandra Bullock has been contacted about donating to the cause, which could also give her naming rights. She was rumored to make $70 million from Gravity alone. Having her name on the center would give it and the program instant credibility....and it would be tax deductible for her now....whereas later she may not be making that type of coin.

If no one from ECU has been in contact with her...then someone is not doing their job right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina