Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 4,713 times

Advertisements

Cubbies did close uptown. Also, Family Dollar is almost up in front of Bellamy anyone know what's gonna go next to it? Plus when is the WalMart Market going to begin construction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 09:43 AM

455 posts, read 528,995 times
Cubbies closing is a sad thing...

Old 04-23-2014, 10:42 AM

3,086 posts, read 4,863,317 times
Did a little driving in Greenville yesterday...a couple observations...

The scale of the Georgetowne Construction site is game changing for downtown Greenville. If the city parking deck gets under construction this fall as expected, it will appear as though the entire downtown is under construction. The exterior work has not been done on the Community Smith properties. By next summer, it will be a different looking downtown than it was before the Georgetowne complex started....it will have a different scale.

As well..the Belk construction site is massive. It feels like the Hill itself is under construction when you go up it. Really hope they are able to get the bridge across the tracks toward the end of that project...it will again be a game changer in scale. Not that Belk was small, but it was obsolete. That project brings everything together on the Hill and incorporates 14th St and the nice parking on the other side of 14th St into the Hill itself.

Two things I noticed that I'm not sure have been listed here are a new pizza place going in on W 5th St (or MLK), an area not talked about much. As well a dumpster and backhoe is at the Go-Science site. Speaking of scale, once the 10th St project gets fully under construction next year, it will cut Dickinson in half, likely requiring using 14th St to Evans to get downtown during construction. This will be a great time for construction work on Lower Dickinson...Go Science, Community Smith (Brewery, etc..) and the Transportation Center...hope that comes to fruition. I have referred to this area as LoDo (Lower Downtown)....copying that from Denver's LoDo area, which was a warehouse district converted to Brewery's, offices, etc...around the time the Colorado Rockies stadium was built. I would love the City and specifically "Uptown" Greenville to use that term to define the area of downtown on the other side of Reade Circle but before 10th St....So Uptown would be Reade Circle to the river, LoDo would be from Reade to 10th. LoDo would have the historic warehouse district within it...as well as the Georgetowne complex, Bankruptcy Courthouse, etc...

Defining area's can be a catalyst toward redevelopment. Hope something like that could catch on.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:10 PM

893 posts, read 1,344,751 times
^ you are correct, the scale of the Georgetowne project is a major deal for uptown Greenville. I don't think most average citizens understood what this project will do for the area. Just driving by the parking deck that is under construction gives the whole area a totally different feel. I feel like I'm in an actual legit city instead of some bum eastern NC town. It will bring a lot of foot traffic to the uptown area with the students down there and the area is in such a location that crime shouldn't be such a worry like if they project was in other locations in the district.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:23 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,554,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Two things I noticed that I'm not sure have been listed here are a new pizza place going in on W 5th St (or MLK), an area not talked about much. As well a dumpster and backhoe is at the Go-Science site. Speaking of scale, once the 10th St project gets fully under construction next year, it will cut Dickinson in half, likely requiring using 14th St to Evans to get downtown during construction. This will be a great time for construction work on Lower Dickinson...Go Science, Community Smith (Brewery, etc..) and the Transportation Center...hope that comes to fruition. I have referred to this area as LoDo (Lower Downtown)....copying that from Denver's LoDo area, which was a warehouse district converted to Brewery's, offices, etc...around the time the Colorado Rockies stadium was built. I would love the City and specifically "Uptown" Greenville to use that term to define the area of downtown on the other side of Reade Circle but before 10th St....So Uptown would be Reade Circle to the river, LoDo would be from Reade to 10th. LoDo would have the historic warehouse district within it...as well as the Georgetowne complex, Bankruptcy Courthouse, etc...

Defining area's can be a catalyst toward redevelopment. Hope something like that could catch on.
The LoDo nickname is great! (I'll definitely be using it) I would say offer that suggestion to the people that head the Uptown Greenville group.

There are so many directions the LoDo area could go. Greenville needs more civic attractions to pull people in. Maybe develop an Eastern NC Museum of History? or an Eastern NC Children's Museum? Maybe try to partner with the NC Museum of history and get a branch for Eastern NC in Greenville. But The GO science center will be awesome when it opens and will be a great addition to the city.

Some Multi-purpose facility that would hold baseball, soccer, and lacrosse, and serve as a small amplitheatre is needed in this area, in my opinion.

FYI: LoDoGreenville.com is an available domain name!

Old 04-23-2014, 01:08 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,767,855 times
The modular home dealership next to Barbour Honda is clearing out the entire lot, office included.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:26 PM

145 posts, read 266,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
The modular home dealership next to Barbour Honda is clearing out the entire lot, office included.
Wouldn't be surprised if Barbour-Hendrick bought out that land as well. I believe they recently bought out the rundown motel beside them that is now demolished as well but i'm not completely sure. I think the new Hendrick partnership will expand that dealership a whole lot in the next couple of years. Looks like car alley is going to continue all the way down to Nissan eventually. One thing Greenville will never have a shortage of is car dealerships and restaurants.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:35 PM

145 posts, read 266,893 times
I really did not realize the GoScience center is going to be that old auto repair shop down there. Drove by today and they were working on an metal extension that looks to be the future entrance. Looks like a great location though. I've never been able to figure out where it was gonna go till now.

But ditto to those posts about Georgetown up there! It is amazing to see the scale of that project! Seems bigger every time I drive pass it. I can't wait to see the actual apartment section built. Huge changes for Uptown Greenville are finally here!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if Barbour-Hendrick bought out that land as well. I believe they recently bought out the rundown motel beside them that is now demolished as well but i'm not completely sure. I think the new Hendrick partnership will expand that dealership a whole lot in the next couple of years. Looks like car alley is going to continue all the way down to Nissan eventually. One thing Greenville will never have a shortage of is car dealerships and restaurants.
You may be right about Honda expanding their lot. There's a small independent auto dealer beside where the modular homes were, and that auto dealer only has a handful of cars sporadically spaced out on their lot, as if their inventory is being sold but not replenished. Perhaps Barbour-Hendrick is adding another brand.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:30 PM

I went to the mall tonight (out of sheer and utter desperation), noticed the food court is mostly shuttered, down to only four options, and that Millie's Gifts has closed. Millie's goes way back to the Carolina East Mall days, but the owners are aging and I don't think the current mall shoppers are into such a place, if they're there to shop at all. JC Penney is in trouble, and if Belks ever decides to move somewhere else to house their goods in one store, they may as well demo the place and start over. Might be a good idea anyway...man, what a sad place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina