Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 10:39 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times

Advertisements

OPEN HOUSE! Come check out our new East Zone Substation tomorrow!
The Greenville Police Department would like to invite the City of Greenville Council Members, Department Heads, staff and the public to an open house of our new substation on March 19th, 2015 from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm. The new substation is located at 3195 East 10th Street, Suite A. This location serves as work space for East Zone officers and the East Zone Commander.
The office is generally open for public inquiries during normal business hours of 8:00 am to 5:00 pm each week while the East Zone Commander is present. Officers assigned to this zone have 24 hour access as a place to conduct paperwork or other administrative tasks. This location was chosen due to its proximity to traditional hot spot areas, to include traffic issues and crime. The intersection of 10th Street and Greenville Boulevard has served as the eastern gateway for the City of Greenville for years and will continue to be a central location for public safety efforts in the city.
Please join us as we open this new location for the Greenville Police Department to better serve the public.

https://www.facebook.com/greenvillep...18354634917911
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 11:34 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,599,646 times
I like it.

Now start ticketing all the jaywalkers in that stretch of 10th. It's kind of ridiculous through there.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:56 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times
PCC interested in putting a culinary incubator downtown.

Quote:
After hearing increased interest in culinary education, Pitt Community College and City of Greenville officials are working together to foster those interests while also helping small businesses.

PCC Vice President of Academic Affairs Thomas Gould said the City of Greenville and the college are in the early stages of planning a culinary incubator possibly in the downtown Greenville area.

Gould said the city is working on finding a location before figuring out programming, which likely will be done through the Continuing Education Division.

Gould said PCC currently has no culinary programs or classes, and the idea of the culinary incubator came from local interest.

“It has been sort of missing from Greenville and Pitt County for a while now,” he said. “... It will fill a need that we have here in the city, and it’s another good example of the partnerships between the City of Greenville and the college to bring these needed programs in.”

Gould if the plan comes to fruition, it would open sometime next year.

“This isn’t a five-year type of plan,” he said. “The want and the desire from the Pitt County citizens is out there, so we’re going to work our hardest to get it to them as soon as possible.”

Gould said the idea would be to have classes at the culinary incubator during the day and then allow local restaurants to use the facilities at night.

Niki Jones with City of Greenville Community Development said employee turnover in restaurant kitchens is high, and it can be difficult to replace them.

“This has the potential to fill that gap,” he said. “What we want to ensure is that there is a use for this facility, kind of day and night,” he said. “They would be the daytime use, and the food entrepreneurs would be the nighttime use.”

Jones said the idea of a culinary incubator has been floating around for the past five to seven years. He said what is new is the idea for that to come to fruition through a partnership between Pitt Community College and the City of Greenville.

“It would be so innovative,” he said. “We would be supplying our local restaurants with a skilled work force, a skilled labor force to go into their kitchens.”

Jones said more developments will be solidified in the next couple of months after funding is secured, possibly through grants, and a location is found.

Gould said the idea would be fairly unique to eastern North Carolina, with Beaufort County having a smaller version, though parts of it are being modeled after a program in the western part of the state.

He said Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College has a partnership with the City of Asheville for a culinary program.

Rick Owens, PCC vice president of administrative services, said the three options are a new building, renovating a building, or tearing down a building and rebuilding.

“Depending on the building that we get or the lot that we get would be depending on how fast this thing is able to move through,” he said.

Owens said the city has looked at a couple of places on Fifth Street, though “everything is in pencil.”

“We know we’re doing something culinary and we know we’re going to do something in the downtown area, we just don’t know what yet,” he said.
This is great! It's similar to an idea I put on this forum to a while back, but putting the PCC arts or technology departments downtown.

Last edited by michealbond; 03-18-2015 at 12:11 PM..

Old 03-18-2015, 01:16 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
PCC interested in putting a culinary incubator downtown.

This is great! It's similar to an idea I put on this forum to a while back, but putting the PCC arts or technology departments downtown.
How big of a space are they looking for?

Old 03-18-2015, 07:39 PM

36 posts, read 63,403 times
Default Taking credit cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Parking deck really fits in well in that space...I like the diamond G on the Evans St side...hopefully the deck will lead to some business turnover on Evans St, since it has such easy access to the buildings.

Moore's BBQ is considered one of best in ENC, so it should do well. Interesting that Greenville is going to have more options, because all of the recipe's are just a little different. Moore's, Parkers, B's...my only issue with the BBQ places is those that only take cash...I recall getting a huge BBQ order from Parker's awhile back, was like $70 and they didn't take credit/debit cards.
I take it you will be willing to pay the 3-5% cost increase they will have to pass on to cover the costs of taking cards?!?! I applaud them for not taking cards as a way to keep the costs lower.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:02 PM

181 posts, read 241,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I like it.

Now start ticketing all the jaywalkers in that stretch of 10th. It's kind of ridiculous through there.
I'm interested in your suggestion on what the 100s of college kids that live on 11th street and The Province are supposed to do. The failure there is with the NC DOT in not cooperating on building a pedestrian bridge over 10th St. a long time ago. That area behind it is far too dense with The Province/Houses/Other apartments and College Hill.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:08 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,106,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecusmitty View Post
I take it you will be willing to pay the 3-5% cost increase they will have to pass on to cover the costs of taking cards?!?! I applaud them for not taking cards as a way to keep the costs lower.
I'd pay 5% more if they'd start accepting cards. I was in a local diner recently and watched 3 people turn around and walk out because they didn't accept cards. It's just hurting local businesses NOT to take cards.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
I'm interested in your suggestion on what the 100s of college kids that live on 11th street and The Province are supposed to do. The failure there is with the NC DOT in not cooperating on building a pedestrian bridge over 10th St. a long time ago. That area behind it is far too dense with The Province/Houses/Other apartments and College Hill.
I wasn't talking about that area. The new police department office is down past Hastings Ford, like you're headed out toward Lowe's.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I'd pay 5% more if they'd start accepting cards. I was in a local diner recently and watched 3 people turn around and walk out because they didn't accept cards. It's just hurting local businesses NOT to take cards.
2.75% per swipe with Square and they take all 4 major cards. There's no good reason not to accept credit cards anymore. Just like what you saw - people who don't carry cash will buy and people spend MORE with a card even if they do carry cash. In the end, you break even, if you don't end up making more.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,023 times
Do you really think that the processing fees are what keeps these establishments from accepting credit cards? I think it might have more to do with a particular style of old-school accounting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina