Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 11:34 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times

Advertisements

shoot - that 10th street section near Ollies, Food Lion & Cook Out - that place is a death trap. If ever a section of road needed a median that is one for sure. I always feel like I'm gonna die when I pull out of Cook Out & turn left towards campus. Traffic is ridiculous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 02:13 PM

145 posts, read 266,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
DOT updates four road projects

The design and reconstruction of Evans Street/Old Tar Road connecting Greenville and Winterville, scheduled for a public meeting on Tuesday, is one of four major projects in the state’s Transportation Improvement Plan focused on the Greenville and Pitt County area.

NCDOT resident engineer Bill Kincannon, Division 2 construction engineer Ed Eatmon Jr. and their staff provided updated information this week about the following area projects that are either in design or nearing construction:

Southwest Bypass

The purpose of this estimated $250 million project is to improve traffic flow and congestion on Memorial Drive (N.C. 11) and Stantonsburg Road (U.S. 264 Business) within the project area; to relieve congestion in Greenville, thereby improving safety and reducing the potential for accidents; and improve regional travel along the U.S. 264/N.C. 11 corridor.

The selected alternative for this project consists of an eleven-mile, controlled-access facility that begins at Memorial Drive approximately 2.9 miles south of N.C. 102 and ends at the existing U.S. 264 interchange.

The construction schedule for the Southwest Bypass project has been updated, state officials said. Right-of-way acquisition for all three sections of the project is scheduled to begin in June 2014.

In addition, NCDOT will award design-build construction contracts for all three sections of the project in June 2014. By doing this, the final design of the project can proceed while the department acquires the needed right-of-way, they said.

As an adjunct of this project, DOT proposes to extend Fire Tower Road from the proposed Southwest Bypass to Memorial Drive. The primary purpose is to provide improved east-west system connectivity between the two highways, while also relieving traffic congestion on Forlines Road in the design year, Kincannon said.

Additionally, the proposed improvements will offer a better means of access to Pitt Community College, other local destinations in the Greenville/Winterville area and adjacent residential developments, Kincannon said.

10th Street Connector

The new 4-lane traffic corridor will directly connect the East Carolina University and Vidant medical campuses on Stantonsburg Road on the west side of the city with the university’s campus along East 10th Street. An overpass will be built over the CSX railroad tracks located at the Dickinson Avenue intersection.

Traffic will be separated by grass medians with turn lanes and lined with curb and gutter storm water removal, Eatmon said.

A total of 34 businesses are affected by the new design that straightens the corridor by demolishing many buildings and establishing rights of way.

NCDOT has finished most of the right-of-way acquisition and continues with those not yet made. Most businesses already have relocated. Crews continue to remove buildings and move utilities.

The contract is scheduled to be let in December 2014 for the construction process, Eatmon said.

Right of way acquisitions are estimated at just less than $13.5 million, and the construction estimate is just less than $22 million according to state planners.

Dickinson Avenue Corridor

Right of way acquisition for the project is scheduled for 2015, and construction tentatively is scheduled for January 2016 for this modernization project for Greenville’s commercial corridor through west Greenville to Memorial Drive.

Budgeted costs will not be estimated until the contract is let sometime in 2015, officials said.

Contractors will replace all the existing lane configurations, remove the thin layer of pavement and several layers of old roadway that were built upon, then lay down new and improved layers of asphalt, resulting in a higher grading and much-improved ride performance, Kincannon said.

Also slated for the project will be modern drainage for the roadway, including replacement of all the curbs and gutters. All utilities also will be replaced and modernized as well.
Well that's a surprise! Last date I saw (i think) for construction on the last phase was 2020. I assume that the meeting between the DOT and Greenville/surrounding area leaders helped move this schedule up further. I know that some people have differing opinions on the bypass but I have to say that I am glad they are at least doing something about traffic. But it is very exciting that all four major projects have been moved up and that is a huge plus because it will surely help improve traffic flow.

I don't think we have enough growth right now that will cause a huge urban sprawl like Raleigh when they build the bypass because there simply isn't enough demand for that much new development. I know Greenville is growing rapidly but I think there will be plenty of time to figure out the best zoning for those areas before it becomes a problem. But we still will have that challenge eventually if there is a bypass or not.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:13 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
The pawn shop at the intersection of 10th and Dickinson was demoed today. Things are coming down fast in that area!

Old 11-21-2013, 12:18 AM

232 posts, read 475,262 times
The old Blockbuster on Greenville Blvd. is now an Urgent Care. I'm surprised there isn't a 24 hour one in Greenville. Certainly there is a demand.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:28 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Well that's a surprise! Last date I saw (i think) for construction on the last phase was 2020. I assume that the meeting between the DOT and Greenville/surrounding area leaders helped move this schedule up further. I know that some people have differing opinions on the bypass but I have to say that I am glad they are at least doing something about traffic. But it is very exciting that all four major projects have been moved up and that is a huge plus because it will surely help improve traffic flow.

I don't think we have enough growth right now that will cause a huge urban sprawl like Raleigh when they build the bypass because there simply isn't enough demand for that much new development. I know Greenville is growing rapidly but I think there will be plenty of time to figure out the best zoning for those areas before it becomes a problem. But we still will have that challenge eventually if there is a bypass or not.
With the Southwest Bypass construction?

One of the last things Gov Bev did was allocated money to speed up around eight road projects (including this one) around the state.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:29 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
The Theater Uptown Project is a public/private, non profit collaboration whose purpose is to renovate a unique historic building in Uptown Greenville to provide a vibrant performance and event space for the benefit of the community and the region.

This historic building, home for decades to live performances, has graced the uptown area since 1914. The goal is to celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2014 by launching the redevelopment of the venue to create a community cultural space which will contribute richly to our quality of life and to a thriving, growing Uptown Greenville.

To assist in this project, East Carolina University's Center for Survey Research would like to receive your feelings, opinions, and suggestions on several aspects relating to the project, the area surrounding the historic building, and the type of events you currently attend.

This survey should take less than 10 minutes to complete. Your time and assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Survey is here: https://ecu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_aXXnUpMpMvlNvSd

Old 11-25-2013, 08:18 AM

192 posts, read 281,291 times
Quote:
With the Southwest Bypass construction?

One of the last things Gov Bev did was allocated money to speed up around eight road projects (including this one) around the state.
WOW! I'm actually a little excited about this. With this type of development does any one have any ideas what this would do to property values for the adjacent areas? I actually live right by the proposed intersection of the bypass and Forelines so I'm wondering, if I'm planning on moving closer to work, whether I should wait until this development is done before I attempt to sell my house or if I should get moving now.

My thought is that with better access to the hospital that it will actually improve the value but I'm not sure.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
WOW! I'm actually a little excited about this. With this type of development does any one have any ideas what this would do to property values for the adjacent areas? I actually live right by the proposed intersection of the bypass and Forelines so I'm wondering, if I'm planning on moving closer to work, whether I should wait until this development is done before I attempt to sell my house or if I should get moving now.

My thought is that with better access to the hospital that it will actually improve the value but I'm not sure.
If it's zoned residential then the value will drop. Ask yourself this question. Would you buy a house that's in close proximity to a 4 lane 70 MPH road? Or... If you were to offer the house for sale, would you willingly disclose this information to a prospective buyer?

Old 11-25-2013, 12:04 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times
Quote:
Good post...Greenville could follow the Thalian Hall model in Wilmington. It has a wide variety of acts/performances and does serve alcohol. It is City owned.

Home - Thalian Hall

Old 11-25-2013, 12:44 PM

192 posts, read 281,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
If it's zoned residential then the value will drop. Ask yourself this question. Would you buy a house that's in close proximity to a 4 lane 70 MPH road? Or... If you were to offer the house for sale, would you willingly disclose this information to a prospective buyer?
The highway itself would be 1/2 mile away from the house so to me it seems like it could really allow for an easier commute to work, making it a more desirable location for buyers. But I may be being overly optimistic about the potential noise pollution. But I wouldn't try to keep it a secret if selling the house. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. I'm just wondering how most people will look at it so I can get an idea if it's going to negatively effect the value of the area.

I'm sure if I was right next to it, there would be a problem but with a half mile buffer it seems less likely to be such a kick to property value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina