Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 05:19 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I really think the Dickenson Ave. corridor directly beside downtown could be a really awesome area to redevelop. The Ficklen warehouse, could be a central piece to that puzzle. The warehouse could definitely be turned into a great mix of shops/offices/restaurants similar to the Brightleaf square area in Downtown Durham.

Greenville needs a start. the GO Science center should bring some traffic to that immediate area. If the Ficklen warehouse cannot be used, I would be all for the very small section of buildings across the street from "Tony's automotive" on Dickenson to be completely demolished and rebuilt in a warehouse-style building that houses offices. Then do the same with the set of buildings right beside (Ficklen Drive) the GO Science center. Use a mix of coffee/sandwich shops, art galleries, small book stores, restaurants, and legal offices. Even a bar or two (21+ only after 9pm!) and start to transform that area. LED streetlights, bricked crosswalks...just really go all out!

This is all cloud 9 stuff, but I think it can happen. Looking at the Brightleaf square, it was opened back in 2004 and is pretty popular.
And this is why if that corridor or the Tobacco District were to be redeveloped I'd want to be a part of the process in choosing what should go and what shouldn't. I want that district to become more of a yuppie filled district of the city, while giving downtown to the college students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 05:20 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
By the way, I'm seriously surprised at how far this thread has come along! Let's keep up the good work on updating about Greenville.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:09 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
And this is why if that corridor or the Tobacco District were to be redeveloped I'd want to be a part of the process in choosing what should go and what shouldn't. I want that district to become more of a yuppie filled district of the city, while giving downtown to the college students.
I think a lot of people would want to be part of the process of handpicking shops and restaurants and other stuff in that area. It makes a lot of sense to let downtown be the area for students, and have a new area for a more mature crowd. I've always thought that Greenville was going to have to create the downtown that it wants in another area. Hopefully this will be the area that they are looking for. Let the college kids have a few of the blocks next to campus. I think this GO Science center can really kick things up in that area once they have moved in.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:03 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
I think a lot of people would want to be part of the process of handpicking shops and restaurants and other stuff in that area.
The city has no say in what the individual businesses will be nor should they. Zoning is the closest they can get to cherry picking businesses for an area. The only time they can say whether or not an individual business will open in a specific spot, is if the business needs a zoning variation. Any business can open anywhere they like, if they meet the zoning requirements. Now you've seen my Libertarian side.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:13 AM

192 posts, read 280,905 times
Massage Envy is going to be setting up in Greenville within the next 6 months or so. I believe they are deciding between three different locations, one of which includes Greenville Blvd.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:06 PM

145 posts, read 266,502 times
Quote:
I really think the Dickenson Ave. corridor directly beside downtown could be a really awesome area to redevelop. The Ficklen warehouse, could be a central piece to that puzzle. The warehouse could definitely be turned into a great mix of shops/offices/restaurants similar to the Brightleaf square area in Downtown Durham.

Greenville needs a start. the GO Science center should bring some traffic to that immediate area. If the Ficklen warehouse cannot be used, I would be all for the very small section of buildings across the street from "Tony's automotive" on Dickenson to be completely demolished and rebuilt in a warehouse-style building that houses offices. Then do the same with the set of buildings right beside (Ficklen Drive) the GO Science center. Use a mix of coffee/sandwich shops, art galleries, small book stores, restaurants, and legal offices. Even a bar or two (21+ only after 9pm!) and start to transform that area. LED streetlights, bricked crosswalks...just really go all out!

This is all cloud 9 stuff, but I think it can happen. Looking at the Brightleaf square, it was opened back in 2004 and is pretty popular.
I also have thought that Greenville should redevelop some of the old warehouses downtown. Greenville's major growth came because of the tobacco industry and the warehouses tell that history to future generations. They might just be run down old brick buildings to some, but to many people here they are our history and you just can't replace something like that. I am definitely all for a plan to reuse the Ficklen warehouse if possible and if not then I think since that is part of the warehouse district then it would be really awesome if someone would build a mixed use development of some sort with a warehouse style.

I think with all the demolishing downtown for the 10th street connector, will help us sort of restart the different districts with a clean slate and I think will help improve the safety overall downtown. I think it will help define the district and separate it from the "not so safe" part of town and may help bring more redevelopment like the businesses on the existing 10th street.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:06 AM

18 posts, read 25,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
Massage Envy is going to be setting up in Greenville within the next 6 months or so. I believe they are deciding between three different locations, one of which includes Greenville Blvd.
Heck yes! I love going to the one in wilmington. Can't wait to have one in Greenville.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:49 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
I also have thought that Greenville should redevelop some of the old warehouses downtown. Greenville's major growth came because of the tobacco industry and the warehouses tell that history to future generations. They might just be run down old brick buildings to some, but to many people here they are our history and you just can't replace something like that. I am definitely all for a plan to reuse the Ficklen warehouse if possible and if not then I think since that is part of the warehouse district then it would be really awesome if someone would build a mixed use development of some sort with a warehouse style.

I think with all the demolishing downtown for the 10th street connector, will help us sort of restart the different districts with a clean slate and I think will help improve the safety overall downtown. I think it will help define the district and separate it from the "not so safe" part of town and may help bring more redevelopment like the businesses on the existing 10th street.
I absolutely agree. I have always said this about downtown Greenville when folks view it negatively: "It can change overnight"...why? Because it is a fairly small definitive place.

The 10th St Connector will absolutely create smaller districts and those borders make change in those districts easier to manage. Before the connector, the area was just too big that needed change. Roads create the borders you need.

Downtown has the river, it has Reade Circle and it will have the 10th St connector. It needs ECU to get in there and invest...it always needed that, but ECU kept fighting it (and trying to move East).

Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 PM

192 posts, read 280,905 times
How do you all feel about the potential for a food co-op in downtown Greenville? This area is sorely missing quality local and organic food. Harris Teeter and even Lowe's have made efforts in the last few years but over all there isn't nearly the variety I would expect in a city this size. I know someone who has put together a business plan and has hundreds of current customers buying from her weekly set up at Tipsy Teapot. But she's looking for an ideal location so they can be more available than just 2 hours a weeks. I think that the open spot at 418 Evans would be perfect. It's right across from Dales Indian Cuisine and the open rundown vacant lot where the new parking deck is going to be opening up into. I believe Manpower used to be in this space or at least right next to it. It has beautiful wood floors and a big open space ideal for a small co-op. The parking isn't great now but that will change with the parking deck. She is currently looking at the old upper deck spot. (which I think is a big mistake)

The only other place even close to this is Oakmont Health Food store which just has a very minimal selection of food and over priced supplements. Almost all of which can be found elsewhere in town or online for way cheaper. I really think the spot near 5 points plaza is ideal as the students, teachers, and lawyers from the downtown are will support it the same way they do the Scullery. Not to mention there is a lot more help with grants from the city to help revitalize the downtown area.
This could also go a long way to help encourage less party scene type businesses downtown. However, her concern is that the younger crowd and the location will not be the type of clientele that would shop or frequent a co-op.

What do you all think? Is Greenville willing and ready to support a local organic food co-op?

Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Bankruptcy Court is nearing completion. I saw men in expensive suits strolling in and out of the building, taking notes on minor things like windows, landscaping, etc. It's looking good.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina