Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 06:18 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Which WF Bank are you speaking about? We use the one on Redbanks. Is that one closing?
Uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 08:05 PM

107 posts, read 175,804 times
Greenville Utilities already has most of that building. I suppose they will take over the whole building. While Greenville is making strides in some areas in downtown, they're losing ground in other areas. Most vibrant downtowns have a huge banking presence and it has been rumored that BB&T at Evans & Reade Circle may close also. I wonder why they didn't wait & see what effect all the new businesses, apartments & other developments would have on their operations at this location.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:09 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,599,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadvocate View Post
Greenville Utilities already has most of that building. I suppose they will take over the whole building. While Greenville is making strides in some areas in downtown, they're losing ground in other areas. Most vibrant downtowns have a huge banking presence and it has been rumored that BB&T at Evans & Reade Circle may close also. I wonder why they didn't wait & see what effect all the new businesses, apartments & other developments would have on their operations at this location.
There is a difference between large banking office buildings for backoffice operations and a bunch of retail banking storefronts. The demographic that all the new development is bringing does not do retail banking. It's a poor fit.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:05 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
There is a difference between large banking office buildings for backoffice operations and a bunch of retail banking storefronts. The demographic that all the new development is bringing does not do retail banking. It's a poor fit.
I rarely used the downtown WF branch. When I did, the lines were always real short, as in two or less customers in line (whether it'd be inside or at the drive through). I can't imagine college-aged people needing anything more than an ATM most times. I can see a bank chain opening up in a regular store front (without drive through services) in the heart of downtown to accommodate business accounts and day workers, but at this point, even with all the new developments, there very well may still not be enough businesses downtown to justify maintaining an expensive property.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:30 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times
It would be nice if they put a small branch w/atm at the bottom of the Uptown Lofts/Dickinson Edge mixed use that's currently going up at Dickinson/Reade.

Development news has been slow recently, but I was able to visit the Dickinson area over the Christmas holidays and they are making good progress on the GTAC and the Sidewalk development and should be done in the spring. I meant to take pictures. The new restaurant Ford + Shep is coming along right at the corner of Dickinson & Pitt Street. They will be featuring a large outdoor bar & patio. Luna Pizza should be opening by mid-January. Still plenty of spaces available for development. I can't wait to see what 2018 will have in store for this area.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:17 PM

144 posts, read 190,063 times
Quote:
In response to other posts on this topic, not just GarnetAndBlack.

Business customers started doing electronic transactions in the late 80's, so it's not just millennials who are banking via the Internet. Bank offices are closing all over the country. Sure, Charlotte has a huge banking presence in uptown Charlotte, but the bank buildings there are national and regional headquarters.

The Wells Fargo building and the old Bank of America (anyone remember the BofA building when it was NCNB?) are actually nondescript buildings that, hopefully, will eventually be replaced with something better and make better use of the land they sit on. Another example of how disruptive the Internet has been.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:28 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,599,646 times
I work downtown and we handle plenty of cash and have to make daily deposits. Driving out to the blvd is a pain. There are certainly other businesses that have the same need but when you figure how many different retail banks there are and how few businesses actually need them it doesn't make much business sense to keep them.

I remember when Wells was Wachovia... and BofA was NCNB... and the purple and gold BB&T was First Federal and had a big digital clock on the sign. PNC was Planters Bank and First Citizens was, I think, Home Federal.

Damn I feel old.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:52 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Quote:
I remember when Wells was Wachovia... and BofA was NCNB... and the purple and gold BB&T was First Federal and had a big digital clock on the sign. PNC was Planters Bank and First Citizens was, I think, Home Federal.

Damn I feel old.
Nice recap there, pops!

Old 12-29-2017, 03:08 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Greenville growth in plain sight in 2017 - Daily Reflector

Old 12-29-2017, 08:41 PM

181 posts, read 241,299 times
Yeah, having a banking branch that size is counterproductive to what banks are doing across the country. No surprise that BB&T and WF don't see the need to staff branches of those sizes.

Plus, the potential of that BB&T lot at Reade and Evans is huge. Look forward to what's coming in the future at that corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina