Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 06:56 AM

77 posts, read 150,865 times

Advertisements

No one has said anything substantive about TGI Fridays coming to Greenville. As far as I remember, there have been 1 or 2 random new forum members spouting the line "I heard a rumor that TGI Fridays is coming here!" and then disappearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:02 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
Every time I read about what has been done with the downtown of Greenville SC I get angry. Why can't the planners of Greenville, NC do a similar revitalization here? Instead they worry about bars and parking spaces. Greenville, NC has a beautiful waterfront and it just languishes. What does it take to wake Greenville's leaders up?

Old 11-14-2012, 03:37 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Every time I read about what has been done with the downtown of Greenville SC I get angry. Why can't the planners of Greenville, NC do a similar revitalization here? Instead they worry about bars and parking spaces. Greenville, NC has a beautiful waterfront and it just languishes. What does it take to wake Greenville's leaders up?
Have you visited Greenville, SC before? The overall city isn't spectular, but the downtown area is utterly amazing. Constant construction of mid and high-rises, new stores, lots of pedestrian activity, etc. It's really amazing to see it unraveling before our eyes. As a matter of fact their West End district (adjacent to downtown) is better than our entire "Uptown". If we can try to bring our uptown up to par with their West End we'll be in good shape.

I've researched their downtown success story and really it's this simple, find a way to attract business. We're too concerned about bars, they didn't care about them (not sure if they even had any) and it made the process of attracting business (companies) easier. They fixed there Main Street up by reducing lanes, building a world-class park, and ultimately keeping the prices for rent fairly low. Even to this day the prices are still low, like $20 a sq ft for retail. Instead of demolishing everything they insisted on filling existing space. Plus they actually care for attracting corporations, we care about attracting restaurants too much. We need to know this, "build companies and the restaurants will come later". Companies don't look at restaurants and decide to come, they look at leadership (something we lack) and being proactive and aggressive in attracting them. A few tax breaks won't hurt either..

Last edited by BMORE; 11-14-2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times
New ABC Store will be built on Fire Tower behind the CVS @ Arlington intersection. They will close the Old Tar Rd store & the current Arlington store near KMart. This should be nice as the one by K-Mart has seen it's better days.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times
Quiznos has closed in Arlington Shoppes...that sucks. I really like Quiznos but as I write this I can't rememebr teh last time I went there. Guess that tells the story right there. Give them a few years of being gone & someone else will decide to reopen a Quiznos in town again I bet.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:39 PM

If Quiznos had fries to go with their food, they'd have done better. A small bag of chips just doesn't cut it.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:56 PM

68 posts, read 119,804 times
I've never heard of sub place selling fries but ok. They closed because the owner didnt want to own a restaraunt anymore.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Saw this posted around today, Greenville has the 5th best educated population in the state
Top 10 best educated cities in North Carolina - Triangle Business Journal

Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
In other news in the pop world, Kim Kardashian was in Greenville tonight. I'm not a fan of her, because I don't know what there is to be a fan of but nevertheless its still pretty cool she was there.

Kim Kardashian At Marine Corps Ball Stunning Lady In Red | E! Online

Old 11-16-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPirate7 View Post
I've never heard of sub place selling fries but ok. They closed because the owner didnt want to own a restaraunt anymore.
Sure they do. Just not the chain sub shops for whatever reason. Right here in Greenville, Earnie's Sub sells fries. Sheetz does too. Sheetz makes a decent sub.

Last edited by Richard Martin; 11-16-2012 at 05:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina