Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 05:15 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
I am not sure what you are trying to say, but the VA seems to have hospitals in areas that serve large swaths of population- unlike Greenville. No knock on Greenville, but what size of a region is really served? It seems that one closer to the coast, like Wilmington, would make sense in that it would serve a pretty large area as well as being close to military facilities.

Well....Vidant serves a population of 1.3 million. It doesn't serve just the Greenville metro. It serves every vet in the east central and northeastern counties. Wilmington is getting the same thing as well, so it isn't a them vs us thing. So I don't understand that.

Just my .02 worth, but I am a genius!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
It's going to be a VA Super Clinic. I assume that it is not going to be a full-fledge hospital. However, Greenville does have a rather large hospital that serves a large service area comprised of several counties. I wouldn't be surprised if the population served was over 500k.
The VA facility is an Outpatient Hospital, not a full hospital, like in Durham. The hospital serves around 1.3m, not 500k.

Greenville, NC MSA, Rocky Mount, NC MSA, Goldsboro, NC MSA, and Wilson, NC μSA are almost 550k on its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 07:55 PM

895 posts, read 2,095,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
The VA facility is an Outpatient Hospital, not a full hospital, like in Durham. The hospital serves around 1.3m, not 500k.

Greenville, NC MSA, Rocky Mount, NC MSA, Goldsboro, NC MSA, and Wilson, NC μSA are almost 550k on its own.
Hmmm... somehow someone embedded their thoughts in my quote. Where did that Vidant comment come from?

Old 10-26-2012, 08:54 PM

68 posts, read 119,697 times
Bonefish opens on Monday Noodles and Co. opens in Mid December

Old 10-28-2012, 04:51 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,698 times
Thank you JPirate we will be going tomorrow for the grand opening for dinner at Bonefish we have been looking forward to this for 9 mos. They had a Benefit for the Art School on Sat., invitation only. Anyone else going tomorrow?

Old 10-28-2012, 08:44 PM

286 posts, read 652,846 times
At the risk of sounding like the parody most of you transplants have developed of Greenville residents...

I really hope Bonefish succeeds and wish it well, but I just don't get the appeal of fish that isn't fried. I'm probably pretty representative of most lifelong residents of Greenville. Maybe the transplants can keep it in business.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:32 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
At the risk of sounding like the parody most of you transplants have developed of Greenville residents...

I really hope Bonefish succeeds and wish it well, but I just don't get the appeal of fish that isn't fried. I'm probably pretty representative of most lifelong residents of Greenville. Maybe the transplants can keep it in business.
Fried fish tastes great, there is no doubt, but there is a serious health issue with fried fish depending on what kind of oil it was fried in. Most (read that as all) places aren't going to spend the big bucks and take care to not overheat the good oils though.

Baked fish can be every bit as tasty as fried though. You will always find a bottle of Zesty Italian salad dressing in my fridge. It is THE marinade to use on most fishes for baking. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:24 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,698 times
Quote:

Frisch, when I was growing up my mother only made fried fish, chicken, etc. As I got older and started pursuing different techniques of cooking I could not even imagine Fish or anything else not being fried. You will be amazed how the different flavors all come together when fish is grilled, sauteed or baked. I marinate my fish also before preparing. Bonefish has a varied selection and will do fine. I will be having Mussels Josephine, sauteed in tomatoes, garlic, basil, lemon & wine when we go tonight.

On Another note, I cannot go up to Raleigh without stopping at Smithfield Chicken, in Knightdale for fried Chicken, beans and slaw
We had company from out of State last week and the first thing my friend ordered in Cheddars was fried shrimp basket and loved every bit of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Fried fish tastes great, there is no doubt, but there is a serious health issue with fried fish depending on what kind of oil it was fried in. Most (read that as all) places aren't going to spend the big bucks and take care to not overheat the good oils though.

I am allergic to Peanut Oil & always have to ask what oil is being used.

Baked fish can be every bit as tasty as fried though. You will always find a bottle of Zesty Italian salad dressing in my fridge. It is THE marinade to use on most fishes for baking. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:14 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
I really hope Bonefish succeeds and wish it well, but I just don't get the appeal of fish that isn't fried. I'm probably pretty representative of most lifelong residents of Greenville.
I have memories of a wonderful whole sea bass baked in a crust of salt and egg-white. The fish stays moist and flavorful. This was from a Washington DC restaurant.

if you broil fillets with a little oil and herbs, they are wonderful. You can also oven-bake fillets with a crust of corn-flake crumbs.

People who eat fried food all their lives are going to experience high-cholesterol eventually. I hope some Greenville residents are willing to be educated that there are other ways to cook fish.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-29-2012 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-29-2012, 11:17 AM

286 posts, read 652,846 times
I'm not allergic but peanut oil is disgusting, so I'm with you there Kelsie.

Maybe someday I'll try it. I eat boiled shrimp and enjoy it, but so far that's about it. Otherwise, seafood was meant to be fried. Like all things it's about moderation... I grew up around here and have the area's traits and habits, and do not have high cholesterol...

Old 10-29-2012, 11:45 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Hmmm... somehow someone embedded their thoughts in my quote. Where did that Vidant comment come from?
Look at my post, I quoted two people.

"However, Greenville does have a rather large hospital that serves a large service area comprised of several counties. I wouldn't be surprised if the population served was over 500k."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina