Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 AM

68 posts, read 119,804 times

Advertisements

Sheetz doesnt just sell subs and fries they sell other stuff to so of course your're able to. But instead of having fries they should have homemade chips. Fries dont go well with a sub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 11:02 AM

286 posts, read 569,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Saw this posted around today, Greenville has the 5th best educated population in the state
Top 10 best educated cities in North Carolina - Triangle Business Journal
Well, a significant part of this is the fact that the hospital is a major employer, and almost all their hires have bachelor's degrees.
Also, the medical school and multiple residencies increases the number of post graduate degrees in the city as well.

Unfortunately, most of the students/residents leave, but they're present long enough to pad the stats.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:22 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
But fortunately, those who leave are replaced by those who come. It's not really padding the stats if it's a permanent situation.

Greenville has a segment of the population (I've said this before) that has never done well, is not doing well, and will never do well. If you take that segment of the population out (gentrification) of Greenville, it is a decent place to live by a lot of standards.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 PM

353 posts, read 458,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Sure they do. Just not the chain sub shops for whatever reason. Right here in Greenville, Earnie's Sub sells fries. Sheetz does too. Sheetz makes a decent sub.
Selby Sub Shoppe sold fries too. Damn good ones at that.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
But fortunately, those who leave are replaced by those who come. It's not really padding the stats if it's a permanent situation.
Well yes and no.
Yes, there will always be a group of highly educated post graduate people in the city.
But no, they won't always be there improving the city.
I can think of a number of people I was there with that were waiting to leave, as the city didn't offer them whatever it was they were looking for. And in doing so, they never put any effort into making the city better.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:58 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
I can think of a number of people I was there with that were waiting to leave, as the city didn't offer them whatever it was they were looking for. And in doing so, they never put any effort into making the city better.
But, on the reverse side, there are always a number that were going to leave but decided to stay. 2 of my doctors have done this. One is an attending at ECU Physicians and the other started her own private practice.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:20 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
The new parking area for ECU on 14th St is looking good. There is a wrought iron fence outlining it.

Really glad ECU is on this "tree preservation" streak with new construction.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
But, on the reverse side, there are always a number that were going to leave but decided to stay. 2 of my doctors have done this. One is an attending at ECU Physicians and the other started her own private practice.
I absolutely agree. Having a large school and residency program over time does increase the number of physicians in the area.

Even if only 1% stay, it's more than none.

It also helps local people who end up getting their degrees stay local. Now if you would just fix those tort laws, it would help even more.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:15 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
I absolutely agree. Having a large school and residency program over time does increase the number of physicians in the area.

Even if only 1% stay, it's more than none.

It also helps local people who end up getting their degrees stay local. Now if you would just fix those tort laws, it would help even more.
Please no more mention about that on this thread. This is about Greenville Area Developments, nothing else.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:35 AM

228 posts, read 601,344 times
Quote:

Greenville has a segment of the population (I've said this before) that has never done well, is not doing well, and will never do well. If you take that segment of the population out (gentrification) of Greenville, it is a decent place to live by a lot of standards.
I have to agree with Mr. Martin. I was a resident of Greenville for six years and the issues a certain part of that segment of the population was one of the key factors in my decision to relocate. But, unfortunately, the lower crime part of the country I moved to has even less resources and "things to do" than Greenville.

So, I hereby "eat my hat" and say I miss Greenville very much and you all should realize how good you have it.

And, I think we need to encourage ECU, Pitt, the hospital, etc. to expand into West Greenville, buy out the worst areas and turn that part of the town around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina