Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I like it. It would be a relief for all that traffic trying to funnel down 5th from downtown to the hospital and school of medicine.

Is it also possible to connect the entrance to Brook Valley at 10th to Old Pactolus Rd, or would that be too expensive with a bridge and wetland? It seems it would relieve the 10th and Greenville Blvd intersection of some of that traffic from commuters using 264 into the east part of town?
Once the 10th St connector is built, I would assume the majority of 5th St medical-university traffic would use that road. But still. We need an increase in East/West and North/South thoroughfares.

Oxford Road to Old Pactolus wouldn't be an ideal extension. Because people could go north, but not south. Right now the FUTURE plan is for the Northeast Bypass, which would split from US 264 bypass right north of NC 33. It would circle around and intersect NC 33, east of Simpson.

If the future plan is to build a Northeast bypass AND Southeast bypass, it is my opinion, the best option would be cross NC 33 west of Simpson.

If the future plan is to build a Northeast bypass only, ideally it would intersect 10th Street at Portertown road. Then (in an ideal world), Portertown would extend straight (at its curve) to the 14th/Firetower intersection. Firetower is the southern sides major east/west corridor. There are plans to extend it to the future Southwest bypass.

To go a tid bit off topic. I am realllly not a fan of putting Ayden in the completed loop. This completed loop is to help people get around or out of the city. So if I lived on NC 43, south of Ivy road, I would have to take the bypass south of Ayden, before I started to drive north.

There is currently A LOT of farmland right south of Winterville. It could be bought up to form the southern half. Now you would have growth in Winterville and Ayden. Plus the loop would be smaller, and thus faster to get around. I just drew an 11 mile road from US 11 near Reedy Branch Road to the Tar River on the western side of Simpson. That makes sense, but would need the land to be bought 5 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 11:42 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Once the 10th St connector is built, I would assume the majority of 5th St medical-university traffic would use that road. But still. We need an increase in East/West and North/South thoroughfares.

Oxford Road to Old Pactolus wouldn't be an ideal extension. Because people could go north, but not south. Right now the FUTURE plan is for the Northeast Bypass, which would split from US 264 bypass right north of NC 33. It would circle around and intersect NC 33, east of Simpson.

If the future plan is to build a Northeast bypass AND Southeast bypass, it is my opinion, the best option would be cross NC 33 west of Simpson.

If the future plan is to build a Northeast bypass only, ideally it would intersect 10th Street at Portertown road. Then (in an ideal world), Portertown would extend straight (at its curve) to the 14th/Firetower intersection. Firetower is the southern sides major east/west corridor. There are plans to extend it to the future Southwest bypass.

To go a tid bit off topic. I am realllly not a fan of putting Ayden in the completed loop. This completed loop is to help people get around or out of the city. So if I lived on NC 43, south of Ivy road, I would have to take the bypass south of Ayden, before I started to drive north.

There is currently A LOT of farmland right south of Winterville. It could be bought up to form the southern half. Now you would have growth in Winterville and Ayden. Plus the loop would be smaller, and thus faster to get around. I just drew an 11 mile road from US 11 near Reedy Branch Road to the Tar River on the western side of Simpson. That makes sense, but would need the land to be bought 5 years ago.
I'd forgotten about the long-term plan for a bypass on the east side. I've seen that map a few times, but not in a long while. At some point there needs to be another bridge in between Greenville Blvd and Grimesland, however, at Portertown and 10th is a cemetery and I don't think there is any way to alter that intersection due to the other cemetery and Sheetz.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
I saw this come across NC news blast and figure I post here verses creating a thread.

The Greenville City Council has made some progress on its strategic goals for business development in the city that it set this year, but many require more money or new construction.
The Daily Reflector

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-03-2012 at 06:55 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
This would give another east-west corridor, to help with 10th and 5th st. It also would remove that housing and bring in something to increase the tax value.
What I think is needed a whole lot more than another north-south or east-west are diagonal roads. To get from anywhere in the southeast corridor to northwest Greenville requires traveling on Arlington or going north and then west or west and then north. Arlington is already a very heavily traveled road because it is the ONLY option. And the same goes for Greenville Blvd.

Cities that are laid out by professionals have diagonal roads. Washington DC is an excellent example.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 AM

26 posts, read 50,540 times
I heard today that Pastime Billiards & Pub in Greenville closed down today. Kind of surprised, they always seemed busy.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
What I think is needed a whole lot more than another north-south or east-west are diagonal roads. To get from anywhere in the southeast corridor to northwest Greenville requires traveling on Arlington or going north and then west or west and then north. Arlington is already a very heavily traveled road because it is the ONLY option. And the same goes for Greenville Blvd.

Cities that are laid out by professionals have diagonal roads. Washington DC is an excellent example.
I would agree with that. The Medical District probably has the highest employer density in the city. If you use Greene St and Pactolus as the center and draw a circle with a 2.5 mile radius, almost every Major company is found there. So we definitely need all/majority of the roads leading there.

As for a NW/SE corridor, the only possible current road I see for an upgrade would be Charles. A road south of Arlington would be good, but it already covered with development.

Here is ANOTHER idea for a Charles Boulevard extension. So right around the Baseball field, start building a road to the west then northwest. It would pick up 14th Street on the other side of the railroad tracks.

Some houses in the Stratford area would get demolished. Plus the Green Mill Run wetlands run back there. The housing on the northeast corner of Howell and Evans would get demolished. You would need a bridge, because you go right over the railroad intersection.

So now, lets say you live in the Bells Fork area and work in the Medical District. Currently, you would take Arlington. Now you could take Charles, to the extension, then 14th St. Farmville Boulevard, by this time, would be redone (from the 10th st connector).

Kind of all over the place, but this seems like it could work.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,366 times
Quiznos closed. That place was good. Alot better quality than other sub restaraunts.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvillePirate View Post
Quiznos closed. That place was good. Alot better quality than other sub restaraunts.
I absolutely loved Quiznos when I lived in Raleigh but for some reason their quality in food dropped dramatically to me, so I didn't go there for years. I'm not sure if it ever became good or not again, but in the food industry you will not make it with disgusting food unless the atmosphere is great (ie for me is Felines, great atmosphere but the food isn't really that great)

Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM

228 posts, read 601,344 times
Bummer about Quiznos, but if you are looking for a sub place, that is in a very relaxing atmosphere, I highly recommend the Blimpie at the ECU Med School - ECU Campus Dish ! I used to love going there for lunch and grabbing some food and eating outside. It is actually quiet over there and very relaxing!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 PM

286 posts, read 653,483 times
Do you have to pay to park there? I've never had Blimpie and would like to try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina