Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,264,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
I thought they were just getting a new roof. I saw roofing contractors there last week.
That might be it. My second part was pure speculation/hoping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestPirate View Post
Today's fatal accident on Arlington Blvd. at Merry Ln. is further evidence that Arlington needs to become a divided thoroughfare. A divided median may not have prevented today's accident but it could have possibly been enough of a barrier to keep it from being fatal. A traffic light at Wimbledon Dr. would also probably help to control traffic flow between Firetower and Red Banks and prevent rampant/dangerous middle lane misuse. There are entirely too many accidents on this stretch of Arlington Blvd. and it seems like this should be addressed at least in Greenville's long term street development planning.
I posted a map about the top crash intersections in Greenville. There is A LOT of work needed everywhere, but Arlington needs to be a top priority. It is major road needing a lot of upgrades.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I posted a map about the top crash intersections in Greenville. There is A LOT of work needed everywhere, but Arlington needs to be a top priority. It is major road needing a lot of upgrades.
I hate the center turn lanes. 95% of the drivers in Greenville use them as center merge lanes. I've lived in other places and driven in a whole lot more, this is the only place where drivers do this. Everywhere else will write a ticket for this hazardous and illegal use. My son lives in Raleigh and he says they don't do it there.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I hate the center turn lanes. 95% of the drivers in Greenville use them as center merge lanes. I've lived in other places and driven in a whole lot more, this is the only place where drivers do this. Everywhere else will write a ticket for this hazardous and illegal use. My son lives in Raleigh and he says they don't do it there.
Physically divided lanes of traffic will stop that, plus make the roadway look better.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:43 AM

192 posts, read 281,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I've never seen so many of the center "turn" lanes until I move here. It makes me nervous every time I see someone use them to merge. Although let's be honest though, if the layout of the city was better to manage the traffic, this wouldn't be as much of a problem. Then again, if the layout of the city was better they wouldn't have put those center lanes in in the first place.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:37 AM

3,086 posts, read 4,863,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
I've never seen so many of the center "turn" lanes until I move here. It makes me nervous every time I see someone use them to merge. Although let's be honest though, if the layout of the city was better to manage the traffic, this wouldn't be as much of a problem. Then again, if the layout of the city was better they wouldn't have put those center lanes in in the first place.
Its the half-arse construction that DOT continues to deliver Down East. They see nothing wrong with large swaths of asphalt...they did it on Highway 17 in Bertie County near Midway where there should be a divided highway. More and more cities are trying to retrofit and add center medians for just these safety reasons and limit curb cuts....think Market Street in Wilmington or Memorial Drive in Greenville.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:25 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,751 times
Kinston now has a water park - Lions Water Adventure - A Roarin' Good Time!

Really? Now in the hell does Kinston manage a water park & Greenville still sits here without even a spray park for kids. I really wish we had something like this for all the families in Greenville, I think it would do really well during the summer.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:53 AM

3,086 posts, read 4,863,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Kinston now has a water park - Lions Water Adventure - A Roarin' Good Time!

Really? Now in the hell does Kinston manage a water park & Greenville still sits here without even a spray park for kids. I really wish we had something like this for all the families in Greenville, I think it would do really well during the summer.
There's a back story...I don't know all the details, but the water park is part of the Woodmen Community Center and also houses offices for Kinston Parks and Rec...in other words, sounds like it was subsidized by the City and NC Dept of Commerce.

Came across this on the Woodmen website...

http://www.woodmencenter.com/file-do...t-June2012.pdf

Note the business recruitment angle in the letter.

IMO, that's a good project for Kinston, but you can't compare a subsidized project to a stand alone project like Jungle Rapids in Wilmington.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,767,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
On a totally unrelated note...and this is speculation...but I was in the store yesterday called Five Below in Raleigh over by Triangle Town Center. I overheard a conversation between an employee (he had on an employee t-shirt) and a customer talking about different locations. The employee told the customer that there were plans for a store to open in Greenville, NC this fall. That was the first time that I've heard about any plans. Wilson has one and it's a neat store to go in.

Five Below is basically a suped-up Dollar Tree, only all the items are $5 or less. According to the website, there is nothing official, but I think it's a good place to open in Greenville.

hot stuff. cool prices. | Five Below
I saw an online job posting for a GM for a new Five Below location in Greenville. The address listed was one in University Commons.

Also saw a posting for store manager for Dunham Sports coming soon to Greenville, but no address was listed. Does Greenville need all these sporting goods stores?

Old 05-23-2013, 12:56 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I saw an online job posting for a GM for a new Five Below location in Greenville. The address listed was one in University Commons.

Also saw a posting for store manager for Dunham Sports coming soon to Greenville, but no address was listed. Does Greenville need all these sporting goods stores?
The town grows into a city. It's starting to garner national attention. At least it's not more fast food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina