Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 12:52 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
anyone know what is the deal with Wendy's on 10th street? Drove past today & it's gone...sign on building & on pole - gone...either they shut down all of a sudden or they are remodeling? There was a sign on the door but I didn't drive up to read it.
I hope ECU bought it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 01:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Jacksonville, Wilmington, Goldsboro, and New Bern all have limited access highways running through or around their most congested areas to alleviate traffic. I don't see how or why Greenville should be any different. Population is not slowing down. Even smaller towns like Washington and Elizabeth City have a highway to bypass their most congested areas.
Greenville does have a bypass around the north side of town. The SW "bypass" in more of a leg of the eventual Greenville Beltline. The plans call for another high speed limited access road to be built north of the current northern bypass. It will utilize the current 70 MPH section of the northern bypass and then an all new 70 MPH section that comes out to the east of Simpson. Then there is also a southeast "bypass" that will connect to the SW bypass in Ayden and to the new N bypass west of Simpson and complete the Greenville Beltline.

I don't think BMORE was suggesting the SW bypass be eliminated, just delayed a bit and put the unspent money towards upgrading Memorial.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:30 PM

232 posts, read 475,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Greenville does have a bypass around the north side of town. The SW "bypass" in more of a leg of the eventual Greenville Beltline. The plans call for another high speed limited access road to be built north of the current northern bypass. It will utilize the current 70 MPH section of the northern bypass and then an all new 70 MPH section that comes out to the east of Simpson. Then there is also a southeast "bypass" that will connect to the SW bypass in Ayden and to the new N bypass west of Simpson and complete the Greenville Beltline.

I don't think BMORE was suggesting the SW bypass be eliminated, just delayed a bit and put the unspent money towards upgrading Memorial.
I saw on the DOT website that Evans will be expanded to a 4 lane road in 2020. I wish they could speed this one up a bit.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM

145 posts, read 266,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Why should the DOT try to make Memorial a limited-access highway during certain times , when it can just build one a mile and a half west of Memorial? I understand that you don't want the sprawl and have it turn into a quagmire, but this bypass is needed. Some sort of limited access highway is needed to alleviate traffic on Memorial. The highway will allow traffic to flow continuously at 55-70 miles an hour instead of having stop and go traffic that causes so many issues.

Jacksonville, Wilmington, Goldsboro, and New Bern all have limited access highways running through or around their most congested areas to alleviate traffic. I don't see how or why Greenville should be any different. Population is not slowing down. Even smaller towns like Washington and Elizabeth City have a highway to bypass their most congested areas.
I agree with you on this. I understand the need to limit the urban sprawl but I believe that depends on how far the city and towns nearby allow their city limits to reach. Winterville is already spreading out but Greenville doesn't have the need to spread out yet because there is a lot of improving to do. Yes, once we finally revitalize downtown then there probably will start to be more development outside of the city limits but we are already seeing that. If we don't deal with the traffic problem now then we won't be able to build a bypass like this as easily when we really need it. The traffic is already bad and unless we do something about it (southwest bypass) then we will have major traffic issues later down the road. You just can't have a big regional hub like Greenville is becoming without having a bypass. There are always new subdivisions popping up everywhere around Gville and Winterville and it isn't going to let up. You can't stop progress, and the bypass is going to be built. One way or another the DOT will build it. It might take a couple of years but they have already finished the planning stages of it so it won't be long.

I don't think it will be like the Raleigh beltline because it isn't shaped like that at all and it also depends on the other surrounding towns. Unlike Raleigh, this plan includes Greenville, Winterville and Ayden which are most of the main towns in the area so there really isn't the same issue as in Raleigh where there is Cary, Garner, Apex, and Durham all in the same area. So yes, it will spur development but this will help bring more industrial business to Greenville and you can't change the fact that it is growing up. You just aren't going to have another brand new road going through Gville that is limited access like BMORE is talking about because the DOT isn't going to fund something like that and there is too many subdivisions and buildings in the way to build a whole new road through the middle of Gville.

I respect that we all have our own opinions on matters like this but I am just stating that it just isn't possible for them to build a road like this through the middle of town. I don't really understand why we should be complaining about this project because this is huge for Gville and its a major economic booster. Besides, there are already many subdivisions in that area so it will help a lot once that area continues to fill in.

Last edited by piratesrock; 05-14-2013 at 03:13 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 03:32 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
I've mentioned it here before. But the Greenville metro really needs to look at a SOUTHERN bypass, right south of the heart of the Winterville town limits. The majority of the land outside is still farmland.

Connect this southern bypass with the southeastern bypass. Then it can work its way northward to the western edge of Simpson. We need a smaller, tighter future beltline. Not this huge road they are currently planning for, which includes putting Ayden and Simpson inside of the beltline.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:24 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I've mentioned it here before. But the Greenville metro really needs to look at a SOUTHERN bypass, right south of the heart of the Winterville town limits. The majority of the land outside is still farmland.

Connect this southern bypass with the southeastern bypass. Then it can work its way northward to the western edge of Simpson. We need a smaller, tighter future beltline. Not this huge road they are currently planning for, which includes putting Ayden and Simpson inside of the beltline.
Exactly; this is what I was really trying to say. Cancel the South West bypass and just build it to Winterville, eventually connect it to make a 'tight' beltway but still upgrade Memorial to deal withb more traffic. If the new beltway can stay as close to city limits and Winterville as possible, the better. We don't need a highway to connect down to Ayden that will only enhance sprawl but rather a highway that will connect the existing sprawl to the rest of Greenville. Lets take a look at 440 in Raleigh, it doesn't really face backup pains and its already in a area that sprawled, 540 is a different story, it was built on farmlands that ended making Raleigh sprawl all along the route.

Ayden doesn't need to become an area in which Greenville sprawl takes over but rather a bedroom community. Current sprawl follows the route of highways, when we really to make highways follow the route of sprawl. Lets spend the cash to enhance Memorial to deal with all the cars that are going that direction, while also building a beltway around the city as opposed to making a highway to Ayden that will only make Ayden sprawl all the way up to Greenville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
I agree with you on this. I understand the need to limit the urban sprawl but I believe that depends on how far the city and towns nearby allow their city limits to reach. Winterville is already spreading out but Greenville doesn't have the need to spread out yet because there is a lot of improving to do. Yes, once we finally revitalize downtown then there probably will start to be more development outside of the city limits but we are already seeing that. If we don't deal with the traffic problem now then we won't be able to build a bypass like this as easily when we really need it. The traffic is already bad and unless we do something about it (southwest bypass) then we will have major traffic issues later down the road. You just can't have a big regional hub like Greenville is becoming without having a bypass. There are always new subdivisions popping up everywhere around Gville and Winterville and it isn't going to let up. You can't stop progress, and the bypass is going to be built. One way or another the DOT will build it. It might take a couple of years but they have already finished the planning stages of it so it won't be long.

I don't think it will be like the Raleigh beltline because it isn't shaped like that at all and it also depends on the other surrounding towns. Unlike Raleigh, this plan includes Greenville, Winterville and Ayden which are most of the main towns in the area so there really isn't the same issue as in Raleigh where there is Cary, Garner, Apex, and Durham all in the same area. So yes, it will spur development but this will help bring more industrial business to Greenville and you can't change the fact that it is growing up. You just aren't going to have another brand new road going through Gville that is limited access like BMORE is talking about because the DOT isn't going to fund something like that and there is too many subdivisions and buildings in the way to build a whole new road through the middle of Gville.

I respect that we all have our own opinions on matters like this but I am just stating that it just isn't possible for them to build a road like this through the middle of town. I don't really understand why we should be complaining about this project because this is huge for Gville and its a major economic booster. Besides, there are already many subdivisions in that area so it will help a lot once that area continues to fill in.
Independence Expressway in Charlotte was built in a similar manor in which I'm proposing, but I'm not asking to build an expressway though but rather a new form of roads that essentially can handle more capacity and is more limited during certain times of the day. And trust me, I understand your frustration with traffic and I understand the need for a new highway but not to the extent that it goes to Ayden.

Last edited by BMORE; 05-14-2013 at 04:38 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
anyone know what is the deal with Wendy's on 10th street? Drove past today & it's gone...sign on building & on pole - gone...either they shut down all of a sudden or they are remodeling? There was a sign on the door but I didn't drive up to read it.

The sign says:

"STORE CLOSED
PLEASE VISIT US AT
OUT OTHER WENDY'S LOCATIONS..."

Interesting interesting

Old 05-14-2013, 05:23 PM

Check out this land for sale. City needs to buy it for River Park North.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 PM

232 posts, read 475,040 times
I'm pretty sure the Wendy's is closed for good. Most put under renovation on the sign if that is the case.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Wendy's is closed for good. Most put under renovation on the sign if that is the case.
I'd like to see that WilcoHess on 10th close too. Perhaps a future combo gas station/Wendy's could be in the works on or around the 10 & Evans area to compete with the Sheetz; plus to have a new facility for the new 10th St. connector (Although Hess has put their entire retail chain up for sale, so I doubt they're planning anything new for awhile.). It'd be nice to have that whole WilcoHess/bingo parlor area razed and used for something more progressive, like a ballpark or lofts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina