Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 11:59 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times

Advertisements

The latest two items listed in this thread...the local TV station relocating to Greenville and Greenville being listed as a top manufacturing city in the country really go hand in hand with the realization that Greenville is the HUB of the eastern part of the state.

PF Chang's coming shows the same effect as well.

IMO, Greenville HAS to become the leading city and continue to get better and bigger for the entire region to prosper. It is the City that can be that leader that can make bedroom communities out of its neighbors (spurring investment). Drawing a company to Greenville helps the entire region...expanding the retail sector in Greenville can help the entire region. Same thing with the Hospital and ECU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 12:01 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadvocate View Post
Does anyone know where Dunham Sports will be located? The Burlington store is in the old Belk building in Holly Hill Mall, a 90,000 sq ft space. The Rocky Mount store will take up most of the old Sears building in Golden East Crossing Mall. Circuit City building or the Belk Men's dept/ old Rose's store in the Greenville Mall?
Dunham's average store is 50K sq. ft., which is what Wilson's is. I wouldn't think they'd want their Greenville location to be smaller than Wilson's, so I doubt they'd take over the old Circuit City (28,500 sq. ft.) or into the mall. Unless there's a grocery store that's about to close, the only large space available is the former Home Depot. Dunham's is aggressively expanding in the southeast and are generally moving into existing structures, so most likely they won't be constructing a new facility.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:48 PM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times
is Dunham better than Dick's? Never heard of it.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:31 PM

145 posts, read 266,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
It will be physically connected to the hospital and built adjacent to ECHI tower and mirror its design. The power plant was built with this tower in mind.
Actually he did say that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
He didn't say that. He said they will use ECHI as a model for the new building. Clearly the new building will have a different appearance from the ECHI. All of the floors on ECHI are the same size, the new building's first floor will be roughly twice the size of the remaining 5 floors. I think the similarities will be 6 floors and the way the floor space is utilized. You may also see some exterior design similarities like the green glass and basic design elements.

It is basic engineering that form follows function. The ECHI's main function is to provide cardiac care. The building does that very nicely. To add "blingy" stuff just for the sake of appearance is kinda pointless. Trust me, when you're going into that building for some care, the last thing you look at is how nice the building looks on the outside. Been there, done that.
I did not say anything about that it should have any added "blingy" stuff I just simply said that the ECHI is sort of simple and it should have a unique look and not just be the same type of design. There is a lot that comes with the design of a building and much of the impression comes from the exterior look just as the medical care and interior design. You don't just build a building and design it solely for the purpose of it without taking the appearance into count of your design. As a cancer center it does matter if the design is different because it helps to improve the care and lifts their spirits. It is important for a building to be unique and you design it for function AND for appearance.

Not really sure why you always have to correct me on everything I say but I didn't say anything about it being the same as the ECHI. I personally feel that design does matter and you don't just build something just for function if you are planning on it lasting for years and especially when it is on the front of your medical center campus. You certainly don't build something that will end up being a eyesore, so yes, the design does actually matter.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:32 PM

25 posts, read 35,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Dunham's average store is 50K sq. ft., which is what Wilson's is. I wouldn't think they'd want their Greenville location to be smaller than Wilson's, so I doubt they'd take over the old Circuit City (28,500 sq. ft.) or into the mall. Unless there's a grocery store that's about to close, the only large space available is the former Home Depot. Dunham's is aggressively expanding in the southeast and are generally moving into existing structures, so most likely they won't be constructing a new facility.
The old Steve and Barry's in the mall is 54,000 square feet and a lot of their stores are in malls so they could be coming there. That would be the best guess right now and makes sense.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvillejb View Post
The old Steve and Barry's in the mall is 54,000 square feet and a lot of their stores are in malls so they could be coming there. That would be the best guess right now and makes sense.
Ok, I didn't realize the S&B's location is that large. Sounds like a perfect fit then. I can't imagine Hibbett's, Omega, Play it Again, and Stadium Sports to all be able to succeed with Dick's, Overtons, and Dunham's in town.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:56 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The latest two items listed in this thread...the local TV station relocating to Greenville and Greenville being listed as a top manufacturing city in the country really go hand in hand with the realization that Greenville is the HUB of the eastern part of the state.
If you look at the report closely, you'll recognize that Greenville is not a top manufacturing city in regards to how much manufacturing takes place in the region. It has a healthier manufacturing sector than many cities, but it ranks pretty low compared to many other comparable cities when considering the manufacturing base.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:40 PM

286 posts, read 653,483 times
Quote:
Ok, I didn't realize the S&B's location is that large. Sounds like a perfect fit then. I can't imagine Hibbett's, Omega, Play it Again, and Stadium Sports to all be able to succeed with Dick's, Overtons, and Dunham's in town.
Play It Again serves a niche no one else really does. I can see them surviving. But the others, not so much.

Gordon Fulp must see some blue skies ahead though since he is renovating and reopening his golf/ski shop.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
If you look at the report closely, you'll recognize that Greenville is not a top manufacturing city in regards to how much manufacturing takes place in the region. It has a healthier manufacturing sector than many cities, but it ranks pretty low compared to many other comparable cities when considering the manufacturing base.
I was thinking roughly the same thing when I found and posted that report, hence me putting "???" afterwards. Asmo may be providing jobs, but they're not on the same pay scale as DSM, et al, which is what Greenville needs more of. I've lived in the northeast and the Midwest. I assure you, Greenville is not a manufacturing town.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:38 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
Quote:
I was thinking roughly the same thing when I found and posted that report, hence me putting "???" afterwards. Asmo may be providing jobs, but they're not on the same pay scale as DSM, et al, which is what Greenville needs more of. I've lived in the northeast and the Midwest. I assure you, Greenville is not a manufacturing town.
Unfortunately, I was thinking the same thing. Greenville isn't a College Town as some suggest it to be, nor is it some manufacturing hub that the report made it out to be; but I think it's safe to call us a medical community. Up here in DC, barely anyone has heard of ECU so there's barely any point of me saying it, but instead conversations go this way:

Person: Where are you from?
Me: Greenville, it's a city like an away hour East of Raleigh. Ever heard of ECU?
Person: I've heard of Raleigh but I'm not sure about ECU, most be a small school.
Me: Well yeah it's not far from Raleigh, and ECU isn't small but it's not really recognized much, we are more of a medical city though

I kid you not, that's exactly how every conversation goes unless I just say Greenville, and they automatically assume Greenville, SC. It even surprised that I can sometime go to Raleigh and people will still say 'Greenville, SC?' We need to brand ourselves as a trained medical community, I guarantee you that more companies such as DSM would consider us if we just give out a few tax-incentives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina