Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 12:35 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Might I ask what the PDR and TOD zones stand for? I'm not educated on all this planning lingo. And does anyone know what the Millennium Campus might consist of?

I've only found a few things mentioning the Millennial Campus. One is from ECU's Master Plan. That information can be found on page 48 and 49 of this pdf.

http://www.ecu.edu/masterplan_docs/D...anWorkbook.pdf

I've also found the link to the Various Research Parks/Facilities in North Carolina. It mentions the Millennial Campus being in the planning stages.

Research Parks

All this leads me to think it's some sort of Technology hub.

According to Wikipedia, a TOD is:

Quote:
A transit-oriented development (TOD) is a mixed-use residential and commercial area designed to maximize access to public transport, and often incorporates features to encourage transit ridership. A TOD neighborhood typically has a center with a transit station or stop (train station, metro station, tram stop, or bus stop), surrounded by relatively high-density development with progressively lower-density development spreading outward from the center. TODs generally are located within a radius of one-quarter to one-half mile (400 to 800 m) from a transit stop, as this is considered to be an appropriate scale for pedestrians, thus solving the last mile problem.
A PDR Zone seems to be another fancy word for an industrial zone. PDR stands for Production, Distribution, and Repair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 01:27 PM

52 posts, read 96,999 times
Some other news besides all the Tobacco District/downtown news talk...

Went to lunch at Anchalee Thai (in shopping ctr that DMV was at / across from Hibachi Grill Buffet) today and found out that they will be moving to the shopping center close to Pitt Comm College (home of PCC Bookstore, Jersey Mikes, Burger King, Big Daddy's Burgers, etc.) in 4 months.

Looks like that old shopping center where the DMV was is coming down soon to make way for the Hobby Lobby or whatever else might be going there?!

Old 05-14-2014, 01:36 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times
If ECU is buying up the block across the RR tracks that includes the public housing and extends all the way to 14th St, then I have no problem with the map for that area.

But that's not happening. First of all public housing must be replaced if sold, which is why it is usually replaced right back on site when it gets older. I would be surprised if that existing PH isn't there another 20 years.

Secondly, ECU's Master Plan doesn't support that expansion...and it was just completed...for a 25 year period.

Whatever this plan comes out to be...it needs to be implemented in 10 years at least...the Connector will be done, the corridor vacated and all of those properties just waiting for something. It can't just sit and sit and sit. The Transit center will be done in probably 5 years and other redevelopment will be done in 5 years. I think going beyond 10th St with any construction is biting off more than Greenville can chew...there is too much to fix before that. Thats why I like the green space there. Tear down and get greener.

As well the "PDR zones" listed...wouldn't green space fit better as a buffer between downtown and W Greenville than an Industrial zone? Aren't the Industrial zones in Greenville out by the bypass in Industrial Parks?

I should say I love the idea of the Ficklen Warehouse being used for the Arts...I have mentioned the idea of tearing down the ugly Art Building on 5th St and putting on campus housing in its place and renovating the Ficklen Warehouse for an Art Building (right behind the Greenville Museum of Art)...it could create an Arts District in LoDo.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:08 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times
After researching a bit more, PDR appears to be areas such as Printing & Publishing, Catering, Photography Services, Garment Manufacturing, Transportation Services (Taxi/Limo/etc.), Import/Export companies, Furniture Making, Appliance Repair, and Auto repair.

So light industrial is more the vibe in those zones. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:04 PM

144 posts, read 190,063 times
I think a baseball park in the warehouse district would be the best place for it. If it's going on the south side of the connector, I image it is going there with the thought of pulling more development that way. I believe there will be plenty of sidewalk and bicycle lanes under the overpass to connect both sides of Dickinson. The TDR article makes it clear that the whole warehouse district will be zoned for mixed use and having the ballpark in the area with other businesses and spaces that provide recreational and social opportunities only helps bring more pedestrian activity to the district - ala downtown Charlotte, Asheville, and Durham which should, over time, attract more mixed use development. Additionally, I don't think the Town Common is a good place for a minor league ballpark. First, if you look at the floodplain for the Common on GIS it doesn't look feasible and second, the vision for First Street across from the common is 3-5 story building with shops and restaurants on the first floor and residential above. Light recreational activity on the common, mostly during the day, is complimentary to that vision -- 70-80 baseball games a year with a loud PA system and a lighting for night baseball are not.

I still also think the beach bingo building, after renovation inside and outside, with ample, well landscaped outside seating for dining and music and a canopy for shading, would be a great place for a natural/whole/local food store. It would fit in perfectly with the vision for the area. However, the plan from last night's meeting looks like that building may be eliminated.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:20 PM

145 posts, read 266,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I've only found a few things mentioning the Millennial Campus. One is from ECU's Master Plan. That information can be found on page 48 and 49 of this pdf.

http://www.ecu.edu/masterplan_docs/D...anWorkbook.pdf

I've also found the link to the Various Research Parks/Facilities in North Carolina. It mentions the Millennial Campus being in the planning stages.

Research Parks

All this leads me to think it's some sort of Technology hub.

According to Wikipedia, a TOD is:

A PDR Zone seems to be another fancy word for an industrial zone. PDR stands for Production, Distribution, and Repair.
Ok, thanks a lot for that. The Millennial Campus sounds like it will be a very good thing for Greenville. If it does end up being a Technology Hub/Research Park then hopefully it will help bring some technology companies to the area and some tech startups downtown in the future! I have always thought ECU should be branching out into the technology degree field with their education instead of just medical related technology degrees.

Last edited by piratesrock; 05-14-2014 at 07:37 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 08:04 PM

PDR is also a zoning term for Planned Development Residential

Old 05-14-2014, 08:42 PM

Advanced Fabrication implies a connection to the College of Engineering and Technology and "PDR" in that sense stands for Preliminary Design Review -- but PDR Zone doesn't make sense in that case.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:23 PM

The Maker Hub is also an interesting concept. I'm very aware of "local food", "local economies" and the whole handcrafted (insert food, beverage, textiles, whatever here) movements and websites like Etsy that sell handcrafted and vintage products, but I've never heard of the Maker Movement. I'm not sure what kind of business(es) could be created out of the concept, but it definitely fits in with the arts component, the PDR Zones, Go Science, and the nano brewery. The Maker Hub is located in the same place an earlier plan had located a train station though, but I would expect there would be room for both.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:28 AM

34 posts, read 44,460 times
What I find most surprising is that civic leaders involved in the "vision" and marketing of Uptown Greenville still focus on it being anchored by city, government or ECU centered projects. Vibrant and successful central business districts typically are anchored by large commercial ventures.

I realize that for residential developments in the Uptown area is seems most logical for student housing to be the major component however, it seems that the City was late to arrive at this conclusion considering the massive outlying complexes built over the past decade that require busing to campus. There should have been incentives given to centralize the residential development in the city center since that was the vision at the time.

Since Greenville is the "capital of the East" so to speak, and is centrally located in the region, it would seem that the city could attract more office/commercial development to Uptown. No more suburban 1-story office buildings in Greenville should be allowed. (I know that's unrealistic and unfeasible)

People in Greenville need to quit thinking like a city with 50,000 and start thinking like an emerging "small" large city of 100,000. Greenville is only 35-40 years behind Greensboro or Winston-Salem in terms of population. That is not a lot of time.

Finally, the city needs to go after every company looking to relocate to NC and try to attract them not only to Pitt County but to the city center. You will only go so far with college kids, start-ups and government appropriations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina