Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times

Advertisements

All of you are completely missing the point. Your excuses for not visiting certain retailers are fine and you are entitled to them. I don't care. Every time a business closes it hurts all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 11:16 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,791 times
Businesses come and go, it's the nature of a free market. Greenville is still growing and doing fine in comparison to most American cities. The only part of town in real trouble is downtown. I'm not going to complain about big corps and franchises closing. In this town, all their "lost" dollars and their minimum wage with little-to-no benefits jobs just go to a similar business. A healthy downtown would be a haven for independent business owners, who usually offer better products and services. Greenville residents would probably be less inclined to go crazy over every new thing if Greenville would provide a more dynamic marketplace. Fix downtown and we will all be better off.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:46 AM

232 posts, read 475,091 times
I noticed a lot of construction on 5th street behind jimmy johns. Is that the VA clinic? i couldnt get a good picture. its far off the road

Old 06-29-2012, 12:12 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
In regards to Home Depot, they should have never opened across the street from their competitor. And I'm with Richard Martin on Greenville giving too much attention or too much effort to attract more restaurants. By know we should all know that I would rather have new industries come in rather than restaurants, but I do believe the city is now attempting to at least talk to several companies (not restaurants or stores) about locating here.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:47 PM

77 posts, read 150,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
I noticed a lot of construction on 5th street behind jimmy johns. Is that the VA clinic? i couldnt get a good picture. its far off the road
Yes, the VA "superclinic". It's supposed to be 120k sqft, basically a small hospital.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:04 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,160 times
Quote:
Fix downtown and we will all be better off.
<----this I agree

Greenville #10 on The Best Small Places for Business & Careers:

The Best Small Places For Business and Careers List - Forbes

Old 06-29-2012, 02:33 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
In regards to Home Depot, they should have never opened across the street from their competitor. And I'm with Richard Martin on Greenville giving too much attention or too much effort to attract more restaurants. By know we should all know that I would rather have new industries come in rather than restaurants, but I do believe the city is now attempting to at least talk to several companies (not restaurants or stores) about locating here.
It's ECU and the hospital to a lesser extent driving that. Those two things make Greenville a destination town, and restaurants are the primary beneficiary. Boone is in a similar situation; almost all the new development there the past decade was in restaurants along 321 for visiting parents as the school expanded.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:54 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
It's not at all unusual for Home Depot and Lowe's to be very close together. In Winston-Salem, Home Depot is directly across the street from Lowe's. One town I visited (don't remember where), the two stores' parking lots were even connected.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:27 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk_md View Post
Yes, the VA "superclinic". It's supposed to be 120k sqft, basically a small hospital.
That is the construction occurring away from the road. A hotel is being built right beside Jimmy Johns; an extended stay hotel, I think.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Has anybody else noticed that all of the Kangaroo gas stations are closing up? The one on Memorial, the one on Portertown Rd and the one in Ayden have all closed up and they've ripped the tanks, pumps and signs down/out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina