Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 11:09 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times

Advertisements

Fayetteville and Kinston officially getting two MiLB teams in the Carolina League. Hurts our chances.

MiLB announces Class A realignment | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 11:36 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
From another article regarding Grainger Stadium...

"The Rangers are also planning a multi-year renovation project for the 4,100-seat Grainger Stadium with home and visiting clubhouse, weight room, and concession stand expansion scheduled to be completed for the 2017 season."

Kinston has made some progress in cleaning up some of the area's near the stadium, but its a fairly daunting task. The article also mentioned they were replacing the sod for the first time. Really shows you have to invest if you want some return.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:12 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Fayetteville and Kinston officially getting two MiLB teams in the Carolina League. Hurts our chances.

MiLB announces Class A realignment | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
Ugh. Good for Kinston, I guess. They certainly were trying hard. I wonder how long it will take for them to get back down in the 1500-1800 range for game attendance. I believe they currently have a lower city/county population now than they did back in 2010 before they left. It will continue to have to try to pull additional fans from cities 30-50 minutes away (Wilson, Goldsboro, New Bern, Jacksonville, Greenville etc..) It's going to be tough after the "newness" wears off.

At this point, Greenville should still keep the possibility open of attracting Fayetteville's CPL team. Get a CPL team and see if there could be real interest of any kind in baseball. If the cpl is successful, lay low and wait a few years for Kinston's attendance to die down again. Then swoop in and present the Rangers with a stadium/team plan in the heart of Greenville (100,000+ people by this time.)

Last edited by michealbond; 08-22-2016 at 01:18 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 12:18 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
The Kinston deal is for 12 seasons. Sounds like a reasonable goal for Greenville to perform the entire ballpark building process...

Old 08-23-2016, 05:01 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Greenville City Council moving forward with looking at public-private partnerships on the Town Common...

Town Common development continues to stir debate - Daily Reflector

Old 08-23-2016, 08:12 AM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
From another article regarding Grainger Stadium...

"The Rangers are also planning a multi-year renovation project for the 4,100-seat Grainger Stadium with home and visiting clubhouse, weight room, and concession stand expansion scheduled to be completed for the 2017 season."

Kinston has made some progress in cleaning up some of the area's near the stadium, but its a fairly daunting task. The article also mentioned they were replacing the sod for the first time. Really shows you have to invest if you want some return.
That sounds like the Rangers are footing the bill rather than K-town.

However, thinking bigger picture, I wouldn't be surprised if Greenville and Pitt County officials didn't want to step on Kinston's toes regarding MiLB and risk support for the Quad East project.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:58 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
However, thinking bigger picture, I wouldn't be surprised if Greenville and Pitt County officials didn't want to step on Kinston's toes regarding MiLB and risk support for the Quad East project.
If memory serves, Greenville only supported Quad East because it was the only way they could get Kinston to support upgrading US-264 since Kinston wasn't too happy a few years ago when they got wind of Greenville wanting US-264 upgraded because they were afraid it would divert attention from US-70, which wasn't designated a future interstate at the time.

I could be wrong, but I honestly don't think Greenville really cares about Quad East as long as US-264 becomes an interstate. Greenville would stand to gain more by having interstate connections to I-95 and Raleigh, possibly Hampton Roads via NCDOT's plan to upgrade US-13 between US-264 and Future I-87 in Bethel than they would Kinston.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:01 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Not to derail, but Kinston is nothing but a leech.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:55 AM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
If memory serves, Greenville only supported Quad East because it was the only way they could get Kinston to support upgrading US-264 since Kinston wasn't too happy a few years ago when they got wind of Greenville wanting US-264 upgraded because they were afraid it would divert attention from US-70, which wasn't designated a future interstate at the time.

I could be wrong, but I honestly don't think Greenville really cares about Quad East as long as US-264 becomes an interstate. Greenville would stand to gain more by having interstate connections to I-95 and Raleigh, possibly Hampton Roads via NCDOT's plan to upgrade US-13 between US-264 and Future I-87 in Bethel than they would Kinston.
I honestly don't know the history of Quad east though I thought Mayor Allen was a key proponent of it. Perhaps it was a concoction to generate regional support bc the support for US 264 wasn't there alone.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:52 PM

112 posts, read 136,339 times
Does anybody know what's going in the old Halfway House uptown? I passed by it today and saw a lot of work being done on the inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina