Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 11:07 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times

Advertisements

I found the full list of regional projects that were included in NCDOT's draft 2018-2027 STIP.

https://www.ncdot.gov/strategictrans...rojects_P4.pdf

Greenville/Pitt County projects included are:

Upgrade existing signal system hardware and replace fiber optic infrastructure, install additional
detection/camera/counting hardware at selected
intersections, provide infrastructure backbone for
future signals.

Construct right turn lane on NC 102 WB into Ayden Elementary School.

T-Hangar Site Preparation & Access Road - Design and Construction at PGV Airport.

Apron Expansion - Design and Construction (Concrete and Bituminous) for air carrier ramp at PGV Airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 08:41 PM

I just came across an interesting presentation of the Greenville City Council dated June 16. It goes into detail about the push to turn US-264 into an interstate from Greenville to Zebulon. It appears that Congressmen Jones and Butterfield are laying the groundwork to introduce a bill in Congress that would designate US-264 a high priority corridor and a future interstate, which has support from NCDOT.

Also, it appears that I spoke too soon. Turns out Greenville actually is wanting to connect to I-87 and Hampton Roads via US-13 from Greenville to Bethel. The future Southwest Bypass is also listed as a possible part of an interstate, which undoubtedly will end up linking to I-42 in Kinston, completing the Quad East system with a connection to Hampton Roads as a bonus.

No specific interstate number(s) was mentioned. It will likely pass Congress as simply "Future Interstate" with the numbering to come later through NCDOT/AASHTO/FHWA, like I-42 and I-87 did.

This will be great for Greenville if it happens, which I think it will.

Info on US-264 begins on page 60.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...bt9WTtX2zEZmuQ

I know quite a few folks here are getting tired of highway talk and probably wish that I would shut the f--- up, but I thought this was worth bringing to attention, given how detailed the presentation was.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:22 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I just came across an interesting presentation of the Greenville City Council dated June 16. It goes into detail about the push to turn US-264 into an interstate from Greenville to Zebulon. It appears that Congressmen Jones and Butterfield are laying the groundwork to introduce a bill in Congress that would designate US-264 a high priority corridor and a future interstate, which has support from NCDOT.

Also, it appears that I spoke too soon. Turns out Greenville actually is wanting to connect to I-87 and Hampton Roads via US-13 from Greenville to Bethel. The future Southwest Bypass is also listed as a possible part of an interstate, which undoubtedly will end up linking to I-42 in Kinston, completing the Quad East system with a connection to Hampton Roads as a bonus.

No specific interstate number(s) was mentioned. It will likely pass Congress as simply "Future Interstate" with the numbering to come later through NCDOT/AASHTO/FHWA, like I-42 and I-87 did.

This will be great for Greenville if it happens, which I think it will.

Info on US-264 begins on page 60.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...bt9WTtX2zEZmuQ

I know quite a few folks here are getting tired of highway talk and probably wish that I would shut the f--- up, but I thought this was worth bringing to attention, given how detailed the presentation was.
So this would be the third new interstate? You are from Danville; how has that I-785 project worked out? Future interstate signs stay up for a long time. I'm assuming none of these are federally funded, but it is still a good amount of money to spend on roads that aren't really needed.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
So this would be the third new interstate? You are from Danville; how has that I-785 project worked out? Future interstate signs stay up for a long time. I'm assuming none of these are federally funded, but it is still a good amount of money to spend on roads that aren't really needed.
Yes, this would be eastern NC's third interstate, along with I-42 and I-87, plus I-795's future extension from Goldsboro to I-40 near Faison. I'll also be the first to tell you or anybody else that I-785 won't help Danville. Second, Greenville is growing rapidly and has a lot more going for it economically, unlike Danville. Plus, Greenville has nearly twice the population. There's nothing in Danville that warrants I-785. The only interstate that might've helped Danville is if Lynchburg's early 1990's proposal to have I-83 extended from Baltimore, MD to Greensboro, following the US-29 corridor, came to fruition. Obviously, it didn't get anywhere.

That being said, if you've seen my earlier posts, I've mentioned before that I disagreed with Greenville/Pitt County's thinking that turning US-264 into an interstate is such an urgent need. It isn't. Greenville has been growing rapidly without an interstate, much like Lynchburg. However, I do support US-264 becoming an interstate eventually and if it happens sooner than later, I'm not gonna complain. US-264 is already built. All it needs is shoulder widening in order to meet interstate standards, which it already does between I-95 in Wilson and the Wilson/Greene County line.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:16 PM

155 posts, read 235,204 times
Completely agree with you LM117! Well put.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:53 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Aren't really needed?

Anyone who ever drove from the Crystal Coast to Raleigh area knows how big of a headache that drive is.

264 is pretty much already to Interstate standards.

So is 64 to Williamston. And other stretches in Edenton and Elizabeth City and near Windsor.

You had tons of square miles in eastern NC without limited access high speed roads. You have a major metro in the Tidewater area with no good way to get there. You have ports that are underutilized because the trucks have to stop 70 times before they get to an Interstate. And you have the 10th largest city in the State about to reach over 100K without Interstate access.

So these aren't just signs, the Interstate status is telling NCDOT the STANDARD with which to build these corridors. Which should be the same standard other parts of the State get in their roads.

Despite what many think, the coast of NC is not only growing but is a vital economic component of NC.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:12 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I'll also be the first to tell you or anybody else that I-785 won't help Danville. Second, Greenville is growing rapidly and has a lot more going for it economically, unlike Danville. Plus, Greenville has nearly twice the population. There's nothing in Danville that warrants I-785. The only interstate that might've helped Danville is if Lynchburg's early 1990's proposal to have I-83 extended from Baltimore, MD to Greensboro, following the US-29 corridor, came to fruition. Obviously, it didn't get anywhere.
I will agree Interstate 785 up only to Danville, Virginia, will not serve much purpose than being an interstate highway spur for Rockingham and Caswell counties. Entities in the Commonwealth of Viriginia should seriously look into upgrading United States Route 29 to interstate highway standards

Old 08-28-2016, 10:22 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Aren't really needed?

Anyone who ever drove from the Crystal Coast to Raleigh area knows how big of a headache that drive is.

264 is pretty much already to Interstate standards.

So is 64 to Williamston. And other stretches in Edenton and Elizabeth City and near Windsor.

You had tons of square miles in eastern NC without limited access high speed roads. You have a major metro in the Tidewater area with no good way to get there. You have ports that are underutilized because the trucks have to stop 70 times before they get to an Interstate. And you have the 10th largest city in the State about to reach over 100K without Interstate access.

So these aren't just signs, the Interstate status is telling NCDOT the STANDARD with which to build these corridors. Which should be the same standard other parts of the State get in their roads.

Despite what many think, the coast of NC is not only growing but is a vital economic component of NC.
Adding lanes, limiting access... not bad ideas for some routes. Interstate designation, not needed. Costs the state more money and then burdens US taxpayers with more maintenance subsidies that really will only serve the residents of NC. One thing that will put a crimp in some of those plans will be the lack of interest from VA. They did just recently nix I-73, a road that would cost the state lots of money but would not do much more than speed people through the state to the beaches. Another point regarding the route from Raleigh to Tidewater- it save very little on time over the route that is already used and has been the recipient of tens of millions of dollars. Maybe NC should start a new highway system called the Intrastate system. PA and their porkbarrel I-99 (it was funded by the feds, unlike NC's proposals) would jump on it!

Old 08-29-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
One thing that will put a crimp in some of those plans will be the lack of interest from VA. Only I-87 would be affected and even if I-87 just ends at the state line, it won't prevent US-264 from becoming a possible interstate spur of I-87. You are right, however, that VA certainly has a lack of interest, even in areas of their own state...

They did just recently nix I-73, a road that would cost the state lots of money but would not do much more than speed people through the state to the beaches. You mean other than connect the economic hub of southwest VA, Roanoke, with the Triad in NC and I-95 in SC? It would also be a safer route than US-220. US-220 between Rocky Mount VA and Roanoke blows. I've driven it. It sucks. As far as it costing money, my answer to that is Bob McDonnell's US-460 toll road fiasco, but that's a whole different story.

Another point regarding the route from Raleigh to Tidewater- it save very little on time over the route that is already used and has been the recipient of tens of millions of dollars. If you're referring to the I-95/US-58 route, then yes, it is shorter. However, besides the Suffolk bypass, US-58 is not a freeway and only the section that's planned for an upgrade is between the Suffolk bypass and the I-64/I-664/I-264 junction in the Bowers Hill area. Not to mention US-58 is a notorious speed trap.

Maybe NC should start a new highway system called the Intrastate system. PA and their porkbarrel I-99 (it was funded by the feds, unlike NC's proposals) would jump on it! Actually, I-42, I-87, and I-795's extension were made high priority corridors when they were signed into law as part of the FAST Act that Congress passed last December. High priority corridors are first in line whenever federal funding for highways is appropriated. That's why NC pushed for those interstates to become law, rather than simply going through the FHWA. It's also why Greenville and Congressmen Butterfield and Jones are making preparations to have a bill introduced in Congress to designate US-264 a high priority corridor and future interstate. I admit that I-87's routing benefits NC more than it does VA, but US-70 definitely warrants becoming I-42 and I-795's extension to I-40 makes sense, given that it will act as a shortcut from the Port of Wilmington to Wilson and points north on I-95 and vice-versa. It shows that NC is planning ahead, and I can say that after having driven roads in both states, NC is way ahead of VA when it comes to highway infrastructure in most cases.
Replied in bold.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:25 AM

Town Common open house to unveil designs - Daily Reflector
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina