Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 12:17 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times

Advertisements

oh boy - back on the highway discussion I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 12:19 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
What can we say? The heart wants what the heart wants!!

Old 08-24-2016, 12:49 PM

275 posts, read 330,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
It is sad. I've always thought there should be a 4 lane highway running between Rocky Mount, Greenville, and New Bern. It would give people coming from the North a faster route to the Crystal Coast. Connecting 3 of the largest cities in Eastern NC sounds like a good idea.
------------
This is actually a good idea. Why stop it there. I say let it run to Wilmington and called it I-X95 (maybe I-395) or I-x87 (maybe I-587). Have them run like you said but then use the current Jones County 17 bypass that is under construction and extend it to the Jacksonville Bypass and somehow get a bypass of Holly Ridge and Hampsted (although I think they are already looking at bypassing Hampsted).

It connects all of the growing cities in Eastern NC (or in Rocky Mount's case trying to kick off some economic growth) to each other while at the same time having easy port access to said cities above while also giving beach goers an easy access to the beach in as little as an hour from Greenville.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:19 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I think the idea that 264 being an Interstate only affects Greenville/Pitt Co couldn't be further from the truth.

Wilson would get a 2nd interstate. There's 46K in Wilson Co.
I'm surprised Wilson hasn't been pushing for it. It would be their 3rd interstate since they already have I-95 and I-795. I thought for sure once Greenville brought up the idea of upgrading US-264, Wilson would be making serious noise to have it done, given their excellent location as a crossroads, but they've been pretty quiet about it so far.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:48 PM

NC Commerce Secretary touts small business importance in Greenville visit

Old 08-25-2016, 09:45 AM

112 posts, read 136,339 times
A new place called "Rafters" is going in the old Halfway House. A lot of painting and construction happening in there today. I poked my head in the door, looked like a large square bar in the middle of the room.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:09 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Yeah, this is an interesting forum until the interstate discussion fires up. Seems like a lot of pipe dreams and excitement over signs and promises (that can go years without being fulfilled, if at all). Where I live in Virginia (Lynchburg), there were battles just to upgrade a portion of a major US highway around Charlottesville with the argument being that our area would benefit from the improvement and the freer flow of traffic. The real question would be related to the relevancy of such robust highway system in the future. I think VA is taking the position that multimodal transit has more future benefit than relying on the highway system. We will be adding a third train to DC and points north in the middle of next year; it remains to be seen if this will have the impact that improvement of the highway corridor would have.

If you all could have daily higher speed rail service to Raleigh GSO and CLT, would you rather that than the 264 upgrade?

Old 08-25-2016, 09:03 PM

144 posts, read 189,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Yeah, this is an interesting forum until the interstate discussion fires up. Seems like a lot of pipe dreams and excitement over signs and promises (that can go years without being fulfilled, if at all). Where I live in Virginia (Lynchburg), there were battles just to upgrade a portion of a major US highway around Charlottesville with the argument being that our area would benefit from the improvement and the freer flow of traffic. The real question would be related to the relevancy of such robust highway system in the future. I think VA is taking the position that multimodal transit has more future benefit than relying on the highway system. We will be adding a third train to DC and points north in the middle of next year; it remains to be seen if this will have the impact that improvement of the highway corridor would have.

If you all could have daily higher speed rail service to Raleigh GSO and CLT, would you rather that than the 264 upgrade?
I agree with you on your preference for rail, especially if you add in a line from Norfolk to Savanah that would connect Greenville to main rail lines on the east coast, both lines carrying passenger and freight. Local leaders should be lobbying for this now because it might take as long to get as an Interstate road. Rail could have more impact that roads in the long-run.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:28 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
I can already get to Raleigh in an hour. Unless a new sign says Speed Limit 85, I couldn't care less what signs go up.

2 lane roads like here to New Bern, or here to Wilmington, or here to Norfolk... that's what needs to be fixed.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I can already get to Raleigh in an hour. Unless a new sign says Speed Limit 85, I couldn't care less what signs go up.

2 lane roads like here to New Bern, or here to Wilmington, or here to Norfolk... that's what needs to be fixed.
NCDOT has upgrading US-13 to a freeway from US-264 north of Greenville to US-64/Future I-87 near Bethel on their radar, so Greenville will eventually have freeway access to Norfolk via the Bethel connection to I-87. I'm a little surprised Greenville and Kinston haven't considered adding the I-87 connection to Hampton Roads as part of the Quad East project.

As far as getting to Wilmington and New Bern from Greenville...well, unless something at NCDOT changes, you're pretty much SOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina