Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 12:56 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
It won't let me upvote you again so consider this my adding to your rep!
Consider it considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 02:11 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,631 times
Quote:
I'm watching/listening to the interview videos now. Eric Griffin makes good points, but he also makes points that don't really matter to his argument or contradict what he's saying. I'm only about 35 minutes in to the first video so far.
So I just finished the videos.

Brock Letchworth seemed very condescending toward TEC staff. Eric Griffin less so but he almost came off as a pundit on a talk show who was happy he talked someone into a corner. That said, TEC was misguided on some things and, according to GFR, left out some people who talked on the record but had positive things to say.

The most important part of the article in my opinion is pointing out the toxic environment in the department. This was largely skipped over in the meeting. I don't know if it was intentional by Griffin or if TEC staff just didn't press on the issue enough. More time was spent talking about how a tower truck works and how they rescue people, which granted was the main issue to ECU as a whole (and it is the ECU paper) but I have no direct connections to the department whatsoever and have heard talk of the place not being a good place to work for years now. It's probably the one issue left that has not been cleared up (are you there, Daily Reflector?)

Old 09-21-2017, 06:29 PM

112 posts, read 136,294 times
Quote:
So I just finished the videos.

Brock Letchworth seemed very condescending toward TEC staff. Eric Griffin less so but he almost came off as a pundit on a talk show who was happy he talked someone into a corner. That said, TEC was misguided on some things and, according to GFR, left out some people who talked on the record but had positive things to say.

The most important part of the article in my opinion is pointing out the toxic environment in the department. This was largely skipped over in the meeting. I don't know if it was intentional by Griffin or if TEC staff just didn't press on the issue enough. More time was spent talking about how a tower truck works and how they rescue people, which granted was the main issue to ECU as a whole (and it is the ECU paper) but I have no direct connections to the department whatsoever and have heard talk of the place not being a good place to work for years now. It's probably the one issue left that has not been cleared up (are you there, Daily Reflector?)
I agree. Of all things mentioned in the article, Tower 1 seems to be a small (granted still serious) issue compared to everything else. The morale and attrition is horrendous. The fact that 75 people have LEFT, not retired, LEFT speaks volumes. I am baffled that nothing has been done to fix things. I am also disappointed in the local news media for not reporting this story as it is pretty huge and affects ALL Greenville citizens.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:53 AM

Conventions give city a boost, chance to boast - Daily Reflector

Meanwhile, the owner of Disount Mattress & Furniture on Evans Street isn't happy with NCDOT.

Crossing work bad timing for store, owner says - Daily Reflector

Old 09-22-2017, 05:31 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post

Meanwhile, the owner of Disount Mattress & Furniture on Evans Street isn't happy with NCDOT.

This is probably just an attempt at free publicity for the store. IMO, this owner comes off a bit whiny as well. Yes closings suck, but it's only for two days during the week. I can't imagine his business would be that hurt by it. People will still be able to reach his store with ease.

From their online reviews, it doesn't seem like he gives the people that do come in a pleasant experience, so it probably won't matter.

Edit: Looks like he got to WNCT too for his publicity tour.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:05 AM

89 posts, read 130,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Conventions give city a boost, chance to boast - Daily Reflector

and the NC APA conference is in Greenville next week!

Old 09-22-2017, 06:32 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times
Yep, as much as we've given Greenville flak about putting the convention center away from downtown, they've done a pretty good job of filling up the place over the years.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:07 AM

89 posts, read 130,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Yep, as much as we've given Greenville flak about putting the convention center away from downtown, they've done a pretty good job of filling up the place over the years.
I wish there was more of an inviting corridor between downtown and the convention center at least.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:48 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,898 times
Quote:

Seriously - how much business are you going to lose for two days...if it was a restaurant I would feel differently...but it's a mattress store...that I have never noticed nor have I see any advertisements about their 'sale' (which they probably have once a month). Seems like he came out better getting this in the Daily Reflector than whatever other advertising he was doing.

Worry not people - if you must have a mattress on those two days..Greenville has 10 other mattress stores to choose from as well.

Also - concerning the convention center...

I'm hoping when they build the hotel uptown, there will be large gathering rooms and spaces to hold smaller conferences and such.

Last edited by jpirate; 09-22-2017 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: w

Old 09-22-2017, 07:59 AM

Memorial Drive in Greenville to close for road work Friday night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina