Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 06:54 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Slay, I've really tried to be open minded about your posts. But that line has really pushed me to ask this question. Are you a young kid or a teenager or just really high when you make your posts? We can increase populations by building more houses and adding "whatever" to it???? What does that mean? How does that make any sense??

Somehow someone has to just build 8,000 new homes and magically 20,000 people will just show up in Winterville? Am I getting that right? Forget having jobs or infrastructure or quality of life. Building houses just magically makes people show up like it's a SimCity video game. It's not.

I hate to be so harsh, but you really gotta think your posts through when you're making them. Otherwise you just sound like you're high as a kite or a 12 year old kid.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 08:11 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Slay, I've really tried to be open minded about your posts. But that line has really pushed me to ask this question. Are you a young kid or a teenager or just really high when you make your posts? We can increase populations by building more houses and adding "whatever" to it???? What does that mean? How does that make any sense??

Somehow someone has to just build 8,000 new homes and magically 20,000 people will just show up in Winterville? Am I getting that right? Forget having jobs or infrastructure or quality of life. Building houses just magically makes people show up like it's a SimCity video game. It's not.

I hate to be so harsh, but you really gotta think your posts through when you're making them. Otherwise you just sound like you're high as a kite or a 12 year old kid and no one will take your opinions seriously.
I personally thought he was a teenager around 14 based off those posts. You arent the only one getting those vibes. There was a huge degree of naivety in his last post. God bless the USA if he decides to become an urban planner.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:35 AM

378 posts, read 419,093 times
Quote:

I hate to be so harsh, but you really gotta think your posts through when you're making them. Otherwise you just sound like you're high as a kite or a 12 year old kid and no one will take your opinions seriously.
Yeah i'm 15, autistic, doesn't drive, in a self-contained room.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:32 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
I understand now, Slay. I appreciate that you have an interest in development. I'm not trying to stop you from posting.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:04 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
Yeah i'm 15, autistic, doesn't drive, in a self-contained room.
Slay, have you considered creating a new thread in which you can voice your ideas for the community? Trust me, when I first joined I was like you — dreaming of a better city, yet not realizing how different kids are from adults. We dream of building a city that has X, Y, or Z, and adults, in many cases, are addicted to being “realistic.†I think I speak for all of us when I suggest we’d read your thread, and hope to provide commentary to the many, many ideas you have!

Old 10-05-2017, 12:25 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
GUC: Rising power lines will improve reliability - Daily Reflector

Old 10-05-2017, 01:38 PM

378 posts, read 419,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Slay, have you considered creating a new thread in which you can voice your ideas for the community? Trust me, when I first joined I was like you — dreaming of a better city, yet not realizing how different kids are from adults. We dream of building a city that has X, Y, or Z, and adults, in many cases, are addicted to being “realistic.†I think I speak for all of us when I suggest we’d read your thread, and hope to provide commentary to the many, many ideas you have!
I just want to see some future population growth, especially west Greenville, is disgusting and abandoned.

I like six-lane highways and above, If the northern bypass got widened to eight lanes, that would be insane (Just saying).

Old 10-05-2017, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
I just want to see some future population growth, especially west Greenville, is disgusting and abandoned.

I like six-lane highways and above, If the northern bypass got widened to eight lanes, that would be insane (Just saying).
Oy. West Greenville is not disgusting nor is it abandoned. Is there a level of disinvestment? Yes. That absolutely does not discount the residents who live there - many have lived there for much of their life. This is the type of thinking that led to the urban renewal movement. A vast number of cities (Greenville included) are still dealing with the decisions made under the guise of "improvement." Population growth could help revitalize the neighborhood, but that may come with other costs.

If you're really interested in planning and development, I encourage you to start looking into the history of planning and the trends that have come and gone (probably starting with the freeway and anti-freeway movements...). I also recommend the American Planning Association - lots of publications and forums where you can expand on your ideas and find research support for some of the things you're thinking about.

The book "The Folklore of the Freeway: Race and Revolt in the Modernist City" by Eric Avila came immediately to mind. However, as a warning, this is not a pro-highway read.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:33 PM

144 posts, read 189,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preserveENC View Post
Oy. West Greenville is not disgusting nor is it abandoned. Is there a level of disinvestment? Yes. That absolutely does not discount the residents who live there - many have lived there for much of their life. This is the type of thinking that led to the urban renewal movement. A vast number of cities (Greenville included) are still dealing with the decisions made under the guise of "improvement." Population growth could help revitalize the neighborhood, but that may come with other costs.

If you're really interested in planning and development, I encourage you to start looking into the history of planning and the trends that have come and gone (probably starting with the freeway and anti-freeway movements...). I also recommend the American Planning Association - lots of publications and forums where you can expand on your ideas and find research support for some of the things you're thinking about.

The book "The Folklore of the Freeway: Race and Revolt in the Modernist City" by Eric Avila came immediately to mind. However, as a warning, this is not a pro-highway read.
I'll add that much of the current popular trends related to the revitalization of the urban core, mixed-use, walkable communities, vibrant public spaces, etc. are a result of Jane Jacobs activism against urban renewal. Wendell Berry is thought of mostly in agricultural circles, but his writings have helped bring about the groundswell of interest in the local economy that has led to the popularity of local food, craft beer, the maker society, etc. which is practically the only hope right now for rebuilding the middle class. Richard Florida's book "The Rise of the Creative Class" has also been highly influential over the past fifteen years. I also really like Greg Ramsey's village designs for rural and even suburban living. His village designs address a number of important issues such as a more realistic way of preserving resources and the environment and creating more opportunities for social interaction for residential neighborhoods. His designs can be viewed here: http://www.villagehabitat.com/project_menu/projects.htm

Last edited by GoingLocal; 10-05-2017 at 07:48 PM..

Old 10-05-2017, 08:49 PM

155 posts, read 235,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecufootball View Post
To say Greensboro doesn't get that congested is crazy! I live in Greensboro. Yes Greenville definitely has traffic issues, but Greensboro's is unreal at certain times of the day.
I couldn't agree more. I have never driven through Greensboro when there wasn't unreal congestion. They definitely do NOT have it better than Greenville. Additionally, I believe the poster said that the Northeast bypass around Greenville was barely used......apparently they don't travel it every single day like I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina