Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2017, 10:26 PM

155 posts, read 235,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Car dealership I believe...CarMax if I remember correctly?
I had forgotten both of those. Thanks for the updates on Carmax, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 05:07 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,819,674 times
Greenville gears up for start of red light cameras

http://www.reflector.com/News/2017/1...king-plan.html

Old 10-18-2017, 06:51 AM

10 posts, read 14,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollabackmjjd View Post
A Marshalls and Michaels will be locating in that building.
Thanks for the info!

Old 10-18-2017, 05:21 PM

144 posts, read 189,871 times
In today's Daily Reflector Rick Smiley was quoted as saying the following about the Imperial Tobacco site: "The city has already received three proposals from interested developers, two of which want to purchase the whole site for development, he said. He believes development there will very quickly prove the decision against an immediate sale was wise and that the site will make a considerable return on the city’s investment over time."

Does anyone know any of the details of these offers? They would be really interesting to know!

Also, these are the kinds of decisions that have led to the amazing redevelopment in downtown Greenville. At some point, the momentum from the development happening downtown will be enough to spur private investment without the city having to prime the pump, but the question is whether that point has been reached. This is what concerns me about the upcoming city elections. It would be a shame to pull the rug out from under the progress that has been made and revert to the status quo leadership Greenville had prior to Mayor Thomas. Downtown redevelopment is adding tax income to the city's budget and is creating jobs. It is also improving Greenville's ability to attract young professionals to Greenville in the years to come. I'm hopeful that whoever is elected this fall will continue the strategy of Mayor Thomas, but I'm a little apprehensive about whether this will happen.

Last edited by GoingLocal; 10-18-2017 at 05:40 PM..

Old 10-18-2017, 07:20 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,076 times
Interesting stuff, GoingLocal. I haven't been able to find the developers plans. All I could find was the DFI suggested plan and solicitation for bids from the city

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=14883

From this document it looks like bids ended in September and should be reviewed in October.

I didn't see anything on from the city council this month discussing the bids, and I would think this would be a matter the city council should/would discuss. So I assume that the time table may have moved back and they may discuss them in November. Hopefully, we'll find out soon!! I'd be interested to see what concepts these developers have. I just hope it won't be more of the cookie cutter 5 story "mixed use" apartments.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:28 PM

144 posts, read 189,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Interesting stuff, GoingLocal. I haven't been able to find the developers plans. All I could find was the DFI suggested plan and solicitation for bids from the city

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=14883

From this document it looks like bids ended in September and should be reviewed in October.

I didn't see anything on from the city council this month discussing the bids, and I would think this would be a matter the city council should/would discuss. So I assume that the time table may have moved back and they may discuss them in November. Hopefully, we'll find out soon!! I'd be interested to see what concepts these developers have. I just hope it won't be more of the cookie cutter 5 story "mixed use" apartments.
The news dropped by Rick Smiley is not the only recent hinted at new development. Apparently, there is another new business coming to Dickinson Avenue, not the burger joint that's the subject of this video, but the one hinted at following the video by the WNCT anchor. This video is from a couple of weeks ago. So when will this new business be announced? These hinted at downtown developments seems to be an emerging trend in Greenville. I like that downtown is finally being redeveloped, but I really don't like to be left hanging for more than a few days. Spill the beans, please!

Old 10-19-2017, 07:25 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,855,619 times
Just to add to the Dickinson Ave discussion...DOT has the $12 million Dickinson Ave improvement project scheduled for construction to start in 2018. Here is the info on it form the 2014 public hearings...

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=8074

Should also be noted that the intersection improvements to Memorial Dr and W 5th St. are scheduled for construction in 2018. Have not heard anything on bids for these projects.

So far the Dickinson Ave project is a year behind schedule (based on 2014 PH)....FWIW.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:52 AM

Thanks HP,

When I visited Greenville a couple of weeks ago(I meant to take pictures!), things were looking good construction-wise. The GTAC is coming along and the Sidewalk development is looking game changing . The most noticeable thing to me was the condition of the sidewalks which were mostly broken and crumbling with grass growing over half of them. I know the whole area looks like a war zone with the amount of construction going on, but the sidewalks definitely hurt the look of the businesses that are already part of this revitalization. Not sure who would/should be responsible for this, but someone needs to at least keep the grass trimmed in that area.

These suggested sidewalk improvements will definitely make everything in the area look better and I can't wait until they start that process.

Last edited by michealbond; 10-19-2017 at 08:04 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 01:56 PM

192 posts, read 281,034 times
Not exactly a directly related "development" issue, but I had to share.

Lawsuit accuses Mercer, Taft of misconduct - Daily Reflector

Old 10-19-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
Not exactly a directly related "development" issue, but I had to share.

Lawsuit accuses Mercer, Taft of misconduct - Daily Reflector
Juicy!!

I think I said something about this months ago when there was the big issue of "too many student apartments". It seemed like Taft definitely had some influence on the council wanting to take a look and do studies about these apartments. He was definitely vocal about not wanting other apartment complexes being built in other sections of the city, meanwhile being completely ok with plans for his development on 10th street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina