Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 04:57 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
That would not only cause great environmental damage, it would also cost a fortune. No taxpayers in Greenville would want to foot the bill for doing that ... none. That doesn't mean Greenville won't grow, however. The city really needs to start growing smarter, as indicated in the Horizons 2026 plan Muslim12 previously linked to.

Suburban development consumes huge amounts of land which also requires significantly more tax dollars to provide services for, such as water, sewer, police and fire protection, and schools. Most people like having the amount of space suburban neighborhoods provide. I like it myself. But, I also see the appeal of living in a walkable neighborhood where many of my daily activities could be accomplished by walking. That's the kind of development that has been happening the last twenty years or so in larger cities near the urban core. This is the kind of development that many young people are attracted to today, but it also has an appeal for some of us older folks.

Let's not forget the source of all wealth is from natural resources and human endeavor. Let's use our natural resources wisely so future generations will also be able to benefit from them.
I couldn't have said it better! Greenville would be beautiful if it developed inward instead of outward! I imagine a Greenville with bike lanes, 2 lane roads, parking decks, car sharing, a nice river walk lined with trees and restaurants, a great bus system, a few trolley lines, and many local eateries, pubs, and quaint shops! A city with 100k that resembles everyday suburbia sucks, having a smaller town with character beats the pants off that! Oh and no god damn highways! Imagine living in a nice medium sized city like Greenville and being able to walk everywhere and have many small businesses to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 07:19 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I couldn't have said it better! Greenville would be beautiful if it developed inward instead of outward! I imagine a Greenville with bike lanes, 2 lane roads, parking decks, car sharing, a nice river walk lined with trees and restaurants, a great bus system, a few trolley lines, and many local eateries, pubs, and quaint shops! A city with 100k that resembles everyday suburbia sucks, having a smaller town with character beats the pants off that! Oh and no god damn highways! Imagine living in a nice medium sized city like Greenville and being able to walk everywhere and have many small businesses to explore.
Sounds nearly identical to the plan I’ve set forth for Greenville aside from trolleys. I think you hit it on the nail though regarding my bout with Greenville. It’s not that it’s small, it’s that it doesn’t have much character. As a resident that just returned here last week, I am impressed with the level of growth the city is facing and I’m more than excited to hear about everything that is in the works, but there is still a major gap that needs to filled.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...CQC-ULFINsvynk

Old 09-30-2017, 09:19 PM

378 posts, read 419,093 times
I kinda noticed this county's growth slowed down a bit.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:43 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
The city is denying the allegations against GFR and the NC Department of Insurance is moving up it's inspection of GFR.

Seeing through smoke and rumors - Daily Reflector

Quote:
Since Griffin was named chief in 2013, the department has lost 74 personnel, with more than 60 percent of those members resigning and about 30 percent retiring, according to information by GFR. On average, about 15 members left the department each year in that five-year time frame.

Among the 74 members who left are five who held the title of battalion chief, one of the highest ranks in the department.
Wow...

Old 10-01-2017, 09:06 AM

112 posts, read 136,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The city is denying the allegations against GFR and the NC Department of Insurance is moving up it's inspection of GFR.

Seeing through smoke and rumors - Daily Reflector

Wow...
Those numbers are absolutely terrifying. Funny side note too, Daily Reflector was the ones who ran the story of all local media and guess who used to work there and has connections... Brock Letchworth... interesting. Also it seems DR only spoke to a select few individuals where TEC spoke to 25 former AND current fire fighters.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:06 PM

Who likes this plan for Greenville Blvd?
Attached Thumbnails
Greenville Area Developments-rsz_in0-txw_s-ao12ktk4jtza.jpg  

Old 10-01-2017, 11:08 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
Who likes this plan for Greenville Blvd?
It's got that highway bisecting the town look. Make parts of Greenville Blvd an elevated roadway?

Old 10-02-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It's got that highway bisecting the town look. Make parts of Greenville Blvd an elevated roadway?
Yeah, I guess that's what they are planning to do.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:12 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
LED lights continue to be upgraded

LED streetlight upgrades continue in Greenville - Daily Reflector

Quote:
The City of Greenville Public Works Department and Greenville Police Department, in collaboration with Greenville Utilities Commission, are continuing to upgrade streetlights to LED throughout the city in an effort to increase safety for motorists and pedestrians.

Crews recently completed upgrades on Stantonsburg Road between South Memorial Drive and Arlington Boulevard, and work is now underway in the uptown area. Conversions to LED include all cobra head and decorative lantern style fixtures.
The changes transform the street lighting from the older technology of high pressure sodium vapor that emits an orange glow to the newer LED lights that have a whiter emission and use less energy.

Streetlight conversions have been ongoing since 2014 with nearly 1,500 lights converted thus far.

Work began in the western sections of Greenville and is expanding to the downtown grid area. Locations for the conversions were prioritized based on statistics for pedestrian-related crashes, traffic volume, and crime.

The next series of conversions is planned for Arlington Boulevard between Evans Street and Fire Tower Road, along South Memorial Drive, in Kearney Park, and in the university area. Planning and design for the next phase is scheduled to be completed by the end of October, with all projects completed by the end of the fiscal year.

Streetlights on city and state roads are funded by the City of Greenville and Greenville Utilities Commission. The city identifies locations and types and is responsible for 100 percent of the capital costs for new streetlight installation. GUC installs the lights, and the city is responsible for 50 percent of the operating costs.

More than 5,800 lights remain to be upgraded throughout Greenville.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:44 PM

They have a lot more to do, definitely. Even towards Simpson, they have not been upgraded yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina