Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 09:32 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times

Advertisements

^Pitt Community College bought some of the stuff over there like the gym...maybe it has something to do with PCC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 12:58 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
According to the DR, the University Chophouse restaurant has closed. Shame. I heard it was really nice, but a bit pricey. Lasted a long time!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:06 PM

20 posts, read 34,580 times
I'm honestly not too surprised that University Chophouse has closed. I'd been a few times in the last couple of months and it seemed like no one was ever there. The service was slow and there always seemed to be problems with orders. Hopefully something can fill the space quickly and keep that area nice.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:06 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Sadly, it seems that Chancellor Ballard is retiring. He came here in 2004. He will be the longest current serving Chancellor in the UNC System. He has brought A LOT to East Carolina, Greenville, Eastern NC, and North Carolina.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:02 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Save-A-Lot opens in west Greenville

Old 07-02-2015, 09:45 AM

39 posts, read 71,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
And what is really exciting is the effect that these large housing developments hopefully will have on the neighborhood spanning from Evans to Charles to 14th to 10th. Including The Province, you would have two other huge housing complexes flanking this neighborhood. It could encourage investment in the area, which used to be a prime location for college kids to live (I recall big block parties) but has continued to go down. With the rental prices going up around the neighborhood, the owners of those houses can invest and raise their rents on the duplexes and bungalows. With its proximity to the athletic complex and Harris Teeter it could be prime rental property. The City should be doing something to encourage that investment....maybe name the neighborhood, organize a watch, apply for Historic status...not sure what has been done there.
That neighborhood has a name. It is called Glen Arthur. Many of the houses there, especially on Forbes, 12th, and 13th are consistently rented to college students still. A couple of property owners in the neighborhood were instrumental in getting Kings Arms condemned. They had realized that run-down development was the only magnet attracting bad traffic across the neighborhood from the other side of Evans/14th. This neighborhood also already has a watch which was started when there was more bad foot traffic.

I actually lived in this neighborhood at one point and always marveled at how central it was situated in town, yet completely forgotten by many. I would posit that it is one of the most walkable neighborhoods in all of Greenville given its proximity/access to Harris Teeter, Starbucks/Hibachi/Subway, Sheetz, KK, campus, downtown, etc. Former councilman Max Joyner, Jr. saw the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel for this neighborhood long ago and bought up many properties here.

Having lived both in Glen Arthur as well as the TRUNA neighborhood (aka 'the grid'), I can honestly say I felt safer in Glen Arthur. I lived there when Kings Arms had been condemned and was empty but was still standing. As is the case now, at the time I lived there crime in the neighborhood was at the edges/corners, generally Sheetz, Jolly Roger's convenience store, and that car wash at Evans/14th.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:54 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Publix officially announces that it's coming to New Bern...could Greenville be not far behind??
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
If Publix is coming to Greenville, I'd be shocked if a Greenville location isn't forth coming within a year or two.
Publix should make its way to Greenville as it infills in markets between Raleigh and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Fayetteville, Goldsboro, Jacksonville, Kinston, and Wilmington should be lined up as these markets.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:50 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Yeah, Kinston is not getting a Publix. Lowes Foods couldn't even make it there 15 years ago when it wasn't nearly as bad a town.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:04 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Yeah, Kinston is not getting a Publix. Lowes Foods couldn't even make it there 15 years ago when it wasn't nearly as bad a town.
Whether Publix officially announces a Kinston store remains to be seen. It may see Kinston differently than Lowe's Foods and Winn Dixie did.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:22 PM

353 posts, read 458,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
From the DR about the future craft brew store.
It's about time. Greenville really needed a second option for purchasing craft beer. Winslows is okay but so overpriced it's not funny. Hopefully this combined with Longleaf will signal the beginning of Greenville's craft beer market coming up to speed with the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina