Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 04:33 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
1. You are very incorrect. From Wikipedia:

"The sport is also played outside the United States. National professional and collegiate leagues exist in United Kingdom, Germany, Italy,[3] Switzerland,[4] Finland, Sweden,[5] Japan, Mexico, Israel,[6] Spain, Austria,[7] and several Pacific Island nations.

In the UK, 46 teams play in the British American Football League. The BAFL has three levels: The Premier, of which there are five teams; BAFL 1, of which there are 19 teams; and BAFL 2, of which there are 26 teams. While the lower level teams have their own championship games during BritBowl Weekend, only Premier league teams face each other in the BritBowl which is it held in Doncaster's Keepmoat Stadium. Unlike the NFL, the BAFL season is played through the summer (April to September), with the British university season spanning the autumn and winter.
In Mexico, the ONEFA is a college league with 26 teams in 3 conferences.
In Japan, the X-League is a professional league with 60 teams in four divisions, using promotion and relegation. After the post-season playoffs, the X-League champion is determined in the Japan X Bowl. There are also over 200 universities fielding teams, with the national collegiate championship determined by the Koshien Bowl. The professional and collegiate champions then face each other in the Rice Bowl to determine the national champion.
In Germany, the German Football League whose elite division is called Bundesliga, has 12 teams partitioned into north and south conferences. The finalists from the playoffs determine the German champion during the German Bowl.
In Hungary, 18 registered teams participate in a the MAFL's two division league structure. The sport has grown significantly since 2004 and with some top Division I teams participating in the CEFL.
In Norway, div I consists of only two teams, Oslo Vikings and Eidsvoll 1814's. These two teams also compete in the European Football League but they play an annual game for the Norwegian Championship title. Norway has seven other teams that play in div II and this division is looked upon as the Norwegian Football League.
The International Federation of American Football is the governing body for American football with 45 member associations from North and South America, Europe, Asia and Oceania. The IFAF also oversees the American Football World Cup, which is held every four years. Japan won the first two World Cups, held in 1999 and 2003. Team USA, which had not participated in the previous World Cups, won the title in 2007."

American football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this didn't even touch on the Canadian Football League or the total of 4 different leagues in the UK they have for American Football. Yeah, its not popular AT ALL outside of here.

And baseball blows compared to football anyway. Outside of the US, Japan and the Caribbean baseball is not extremely popular (although it does exist in many countries as well).

2. Ugh, enough with beating us over the head about the yankees hats! We get it, you've seen some youtube vids with some kids from London wearing the hats. Point made!

Did you ever stop to think that maybe they were just wearing them b/c they want to wear something AMERICAN, and NYC being the media darling would make the NY hats desirable to them?? Do you have any idea how many people I've met that wear hats for every team in baseball just to match their fits and could care less about the teams? My homeboy from Oakland wears a yankees hat and when people have come at him like "F**k the yankees," he's like "yeah, f**k em," because he doesn't care about the team at all. He has the hat to go with his clothes.

And this is not uncommon. Did you see the Wale video where he's wearing an SF Giants hat? He's from DC, does that make him a Giants fan? Most likely no. Most likely he was just wearing it cause it went with what he was wearing in the video.

Man you've been saying this over and over again, and I gotta tell ya its a pretty weak argument for what's supposed to prove that NY is jocked worldwide. Not saying that it isn't, but that is a weak example to keep referencing. America is/was jocked worldwide (and that's rapidly changing), and NY gets the most attention b/c of a NE bias, so its not surprising at all that the yankees hats are the first thing someone in the UK would get to have that's American. They're not all yankees fans, so get over it.
lmao

American football despite all of that is the least popular sport globally.Period

And despite all that useless s.. you said. The popularity of football worldwide does not translate into a good number of dallas fans

LA is jocked worldwide. Wheres the dodgers hats? LOL. Thats a weak argument. The yankees are americas team. If it was so easy for it too just be new york, than why arent mets,knicks,rangers etc hats more popular. If dallas was close, than y dont you see atleast some dallas hats worldwide. There non-exisitent

Dallas hasnt done anything to proclaim greatness over the yankees. Period. Like i've said earlier---WHAT HAVE THEY DONE

Baseball is probably the least popular sport in america after nascar,basketball,football. Yet the yankees are still the most popular team. What does that tell you

Did you ever stop to think that they are wearing a yankees cap because the yankees are what represent america and not the cowboys........................

And wale has worn a yankee cap along with countless muscians not from new york

Old 12-30-2009, 04:38 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
lmao

American football despite all of that is the least popular sport globally.Period

And despite all that useless s.. you said. The popularity of football worldwide does not translate into a good number of dallas fans

LA is jocked worldwide. Wheres the dodgers hats? LOL. Thats a weak argument. The yankees are americas team. If it was so easy for it too just be new york, than why arent mets,knicks,rangers etc hats more popular. If dallas was close, than y dont you see atleast some dallas hats worldwide. There non-exisitent

Dallas hasnt done anything to proclaim greatness over the yankees. Period. Like i've said earlier---WHAT HAVE THEY DONE

Baseball is probably the least popular sport in america after nascar,basketball,football. Yet the yankees are still the most popular team. What does that tell you
This tells me that the Yankees are America's team, and that the Yankees are the most popular team in the United States or if not from the whole world

Old 12-30-2009, 04:43 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
This tells me that the Yankees are America's team, and that the Yankees are the most popular team in the United States or if not from the whole world

And your best player, Derek jeter is from .....NEW JERSEY

Old 12-30-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
And your best player, Derek jeter is from .....NEW JERSEY
That is not the point the point is that the Yankees are from NYC, and they are the most popular team in the world.

Not everybody from a state team are from the same state....

Old 12-30-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
That is not the point the point is that the Yankees are from NYC, and they are the most popular team in the world.

No, the topic is New Jersey vs the boroughs other than Manhattan

Jeter is from New Jersey and is one of the best yankees of all time

Old 12-30-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
No, the topic is New Jersey vs the boroughs other than Manhattan

Jeter is from New Jersey and is one of the best yankees of all time
Tell that to Jman.

Quote:
Lol I guess since you use that logic then you must really believe the Cowboys are America's team since they named themselves that and all.
Everybody knows that Jeter is from NJ, but he plays for a team that is from NYC I do not know what you are trying to prove here...

Old 12-30-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Tell that to Jman.

Everybody knows that Jeter is from NJ, but he plays for a team that is from NYC I do not know what you are trying to prove here...

Cultural superiority by NJ, which has already been proven by many on here. Jeter is an icon and is a New jersey product

It has already been established that New Jersey has produced far more influential and famous musicians as well

I am saying this only because Manhattan is being excluded from the comparison

Old 12-30-2009, 05:11 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,111 times
Quote:
1. You are very incorrect. From Wikipedia:

"The sport is also played outside the United States. National professional and collegiate leagues exist in United Kingdom, Germany, Italy,[3] Switzerland,[4] Finland, Sweden,[5] Japan, Mexico, Israel,[6] Spain, Austria,[7] and several Pacific Island nations.

In the UK, 46 teams play in the British American Football League. The BAFL has three levels: The Premier, of which there are five teams; BAFL 1, of which there are 19 teams; and BAFL 2, of which there are 26 teams. While the lower level teams have their own championship games during BritBowl Weekend, only Premier league teams face each other in the BritBowl which is it held in Doncaster's Keepmoat Stadium. Unlike the NFL, the BAFL season is played through the summer (April to September), with the British university season spanning the autumn and winter.
In Mexico, the ONEFA is a college league with 26 teams in 3 conferences.
In Japan, the X-League is a professional league with 60 teams in four divisions, using promotion and relegation. After the post-season playoffs, the X-League champion is determined in the Japan X Bowl. There are also over 200 universities fielding teams, with the national collegiate championship determined by the Koshien Bowl. The professional and collegiate champions then face each other in the Rice Bowl to determine the national champion.
In Germany, the German Football League whose elite division is called Bundesliga, has 12 teams partitioned into north and south conferences. The finalists from the playoffs determine the German champion during the German Bowl.
In Hungary, 18 registered teams participate in a the MAFL's two division league structure. The sport has grown significantly since 2004 and with some top Division I teams participating in the CEFL.
In Norway, div I consists of only two teams, Oslo Vikings and Eidsvoll 1814's. These two teams also compete in the European Football League but they play an annual game for the Norwegian Championship title. Norway has seven other teams that play in div II and this division is looked upon as the Norwegian Football League.
The International Federation of American Football is the governing body for American football with 45 member associations from North and South America, Europe, Asia and Oceania. The IFAF also oversees the American Football World Cup, which is held every four years. Japan won the first two World Cups, held in 1999 and 2003. Team USA, which had not participated in the previous World Cups, won the title in 2007."

American football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this didn't even touch on the Canadian Football League or the total of 4 different leagues in the UK they have for American Football. Yeah, its not popular AT ALL outside of here.

And baseball blows compared to football anyway. Outside of the US, Japan and the Caribbean baseball is not extremely popular (although it does exist in many countries as well).

2. Ugh, enough with beating us over the head about the yankees hats! We get it, you've seen some youtube vids with some kids from London wearing the hats. Point made!

Did you ever stop to think that maybe they were just wearing them b/c they want to wear something AMERICAN, and NYC being the media darling would make the NY hats desirable to them?? Do you have any idea how many people I've met that wear hats for every team in baseball just to match their fits and could care less about the teams? My homeboy from Oakland wears a yankees hat and when people have come at him like "F**k the yankees," he's like "yeah, f**k em," because he doesn't care about the team at all. He has the hat to go with his clothes.

And this is not uncommon. Did you see the Wale video where he's wearing an SF Giants hat? He's from DC, does that make him a Giants fan? Most likely no. Most likely he was just wearing it cause it went with what he was wearing in the video.

Man you've been saying this over and over again, and I gotta tell ya its a pretty weak argument for what's supposed to prove that NY is jocked worldwide. Not saying that it isn't, but that is a weak example to keep referencing. America is/was jocked worldwide (and that's rapidly changing), and NY gets the most attention b/c of a NE bias, so its not surprising at all that the yankees hats are the first thing someone in the UK would get to have that's American. They're not all yankees fans, so get over it.
LMAO. very thorough. and after all that, his reply was "omg yankee hatz in other countriez"

Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,111 times
and anybody arguing that any american sports franchise is the most popular in the world is stupid. soccer (or "football") is by far the most popular sport on earth and naturally manchester united, barcelona, real madrid, chelsea etc >>>> american sports franchises (on an international level)

Old 12-30-2009, 05:22 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
lmao

Did you ever stop to think that they are waring a yankees cap because the yankees are what represent america and not the cowboys........................

And wale has worn a yankee cap along with countless muscians not from new york
LOL gotta love conversing with someone who only has the ability to see things one way. I know you like to think you're always right and that your word is the law, but you're not God. Sorry to break it to ya!

I'm gonna try your method. Baseball is the least popular sport globally and the yankees don't sell out any of their games. Is it true now?? I mean I said it and all, just like you did, so it must be true right?? Lmao

You claim all types of crap and back up none of it with facts. I just shut down the last thing you claimed with FACTS and now you come at me with more myths b/c you lack the ability to acknowledge you were wrong. You're like a 5 year old; there's really no point in trying to have a discussion with you about anything since you've already decided you know everything. Which is probably why you're wrong so often.

I'm not going to bother wasting the time to research what sport is the least popular worldwide. I'm guessing the luge and curling would likely rank below football or baseball, but I don't really care anyway. My point has already been made, and that was that football IS popular outside of the US, contrary to what you claim. I've proved what I wanted to, and you're still here with the "its like this b/c I say it is stance." See how far that mentality gets you in life.

And despite all those useless examples you gave, you have done nothing to prove that the yankees have a significant following in London, let alone the world. Dallas is called America's Team, and they play "America's Game." The Superbowl is practically a national holiday while the World Series is far from being Hanukkah lol. If the yankees weren't from the BX you wouldn't even be pushing them so hard lol, you're too predictable.

As far as LA goes, ever seen the Ali G movie Indahouse? Baron Sasha Kohen's first big movie before Borat? Its a British comedy where the whole premise had him throwing up W's and wearing a Westside jersey lol. (That movie's ridiculous but hilarious btw.) And people in other countries do wear dodgers hats, just like they wear yankees hats though I'm guessing they're not nearly as common (there's no real way to measure this so its pointless to argue it). Thank God I don't see dodgers hats everywhere, I can't stand em lol! I've seen people in Asia, Europe, Latin America, and even Africa wearing gear from all types of teams. This is not unique to the yankees.

I've seen Niner's gear worn by dudes from Mexico and in the Philippines. Raider's gear can be seen EVERYWHERE (unfortunately). I've seen kids in Germany sporting Giants and Warriors gear. Don't believe me? Check this out:

MySpace Video - UNDER DA INFLUENCE's Video Channel & Video Clips

So are the Warriors America's team now? Lol clown and you say MY argument is weak lol.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe those kids you've seen weren't even sports fans at all and just wanted to sport something that was identifiably American? And thanks for strengthening my argument with your Wale example. That was my whole point lol! Millions of people sport the gear b/c it goes with what they wear, regardless of whether or not they like the team.

Of course you again tried to sidestep what I was saying, just like you've done with everyone else here who made a point. But Wale isn't wearing a yankees hat at 0:17 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XwxK...eature=related

Since you seem to be missing what I'm actually trying to point out, I'll break it down. I don't think he's a Giants fan, yet he's wearing the gear. Just like other people around the world who wear the gear of any American sports team. Just because someone is wearing it doesn't mean they can tell you about the team, like the team at all, or have any interest in the sport whatsoever. It could mean it, but it doesn't tell you anything b/c at the same time it might not mean it. That's what I'm trying to say here.

Last edited by jman650; 12-30-2009 at 05:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City