Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 10:07 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfriendly View Post
Yeah, we would rather see ugly ports in New Jersey than in our own back yard. Look how great the entire neighborhood of Elisabeth, Carteret, Irvington looks as a result....
Yes, New York has been always spilling over but mostly towards Long Island (anyone heard of Levitttown) and north to picturesque communities of Connecticut and Westchester, that's what the Metro North was build for. New Jersey has always been considered to ugly to be a valid residential expansion area but good for ports and factories. Just look at Jersey City, Newark, Irvington, Elisabeth, Carteret, Bayonne, Harrison, Passaic....
Yeah...okay

Old 01-02-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Anyway you look at at it New York was a thriving city well before North Jersey was a state or before it become ubranized... You were the Garden State, remember?
Well, first: North Jersey isn't a state. And secondly, New Amst was perhaps a thriving 'town' before NJ but it certainly wasn't the metropolis we now know as NYC lol

NY boomed during/after Ind Rev (which was heavily influenced by NJ in Paterson)

PS: we're still the Garden State lol

Last edited by 66nexus; 01-02-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 01-02-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You bring up a good point.

New Jersey's overall location was obviously ideal. You could choose anywhere else in NY state to place NYC, and still come to a conclusion that bordering New Jersey is the most ideal location for a city.
You have the opportunity to feed off beneficial land in case of urban flooding that would be able to lead out into the rest of the country (NJ) rather than relying on the more isolated Long Island to handle it

Industry is New Jersey's strength. New Jersey has the largest and busiest ports on the east coast (Newark-Elizabeth) that handle manufacture and trade. New Jersey was able to provide more productive sea ports in the Newark Bay that the New York Bay couldn't handle. NYC feeds off New Jersey more so than their own state, the urban flooding of NYC spills into New Jersey more than anywhere else. This obviously shows that the westward expansion into NJ is ideal to handle growth in NYC.
I concur. And it's also why I think NJ culture and NY culture, while not the same, are certainly connected. Whether we/they like it or not.

So to ask: who is more culturally significant (especially with Manhattan excluded) isn't an easy question.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:57 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I concur. And it's also why I think NJ culture and NY culture, while not the same, are certainly connected. Whether we/they like it or not.

So to ask: who is more culturally significant (especially with Manhattan excluded) isn't an easy question.
Your concurring with something that is wrong. At least the second line about "you can still come to a conclusion that bordering New Jersey is the most ideal location for a city".

If New Jersey did not exist, New York City would still be where it is today. Most likely there would even be 6 boroughs, including Hudson County. But the city exists today because it is a great place to put a city, not because of a state boundary. As I mentioned, the city was settled before the states were established.

But I do agree with you about the cultures being connected.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:02 PM

160 posts, read 499,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Your concurring with something that is wrong. At least the second line about "you can still come to a conclusion that bordering New Jersey is the most ideal location for a city".

If New Jersey did not exist, New York City would still be where it is today. Most likely there would even be 6 boroughs, including Hudson County. But the city exists today because it is a great place to put a city, not because of a state boundary. As I mentioned, the city was settled before the states were established.

It would still exist but it may not be as great as a city, hard to tell condsidering it is a hypothetical question and these events took place hundreds of years ago.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

Like Guardian stated, I'm sure it would exist as well. But whose to say what kind of city it would be.

Hell, there probably would've been 6 boroughs indeed, but then again there may have been a West Jersey city that could have grown from west to east. We'll never know lol.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Ah the uninformed. Only someone living in the Matrix doesn't know such a thing.

NorthJersey.com: New Yorkers: Welcome to New Jersey

In an eight-year period, 2000 to 2008, 1,538,274 New Yorkers left the Empire State, unhappy about high taxes and high housing costs, and almost 172,000 of them took up residence in New Jersey. As best as can be calculated, most have higher than average incomes, so New York's loss was New Jersey's gain, because that was a lot of state income tax and sales taxes from the spending power of those migrants lost to New York.

Check the link and do some reading...you seem a bit...out of touch.
Yeah, I am sure website like NorthJersey.com is very in touch and most importantly objective
I know many New Jerseyans complaining about high taxes, expensive car insurance and indolent. corrupt administrations. It seem like nothing ever changes in New Jersey. Let me think, do I want a longer commute, paying taxes in both states and living amongts people mostly interested in quality of their lawns... No, thanks.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:12 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
[quote=yourfriendly;12265022]yeah. rich New Yorkers build the Hamptons and made southern Connecticut, White Plains what it is today. Incredibly affluent and organized areas.
Even today there are not that many native New Yorkers in Hoboken, mostly transplants from other states. New York City has other traditional areas of flight to the burbs and New Jersey has never been one of them.[/quote]

Wow...you have no idea what you're talking about.

Tons, TONS of NYers move to NJ. TONS.

Congrats ... you win the troll of the week award!!

Old 01-02-2010, 04:16 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Quote:
I agree: you have no idea. You don't know that the developemnts on Hudson river are less then 20 years old. The area looked like a huge abandonded factory plant, ugly as it gets. That Hoboken before gientrification was a complete dump nobody wnated to hear about and other towns on Paths route like Harrison and Jersey City and Newark continue to be mostly dumps until today.
Is Newark really an appealing place for anybody to move today?
Compare it to picturesque towns of south-eastern Connecticut, convenietly connected to the city by Metro North or Westchester County Do you see any difference?

Yes, there always were appealing areas of New Jersey but far away from mass transit that turned southeastern Connecticut into beatiful New York suburb..
Connecticut??

Have you been to Bergen County? LOL. Much closer than southeastern Connecticut, and ON train routes, and equally as nice (and wealthy).

Most of Northern NJ is leafy, bucolic suburbs (and much closer to Manhattan than both Connecticut and Long Island). Really not sure what, or where, you are looking.

There is a reason (or rather, many reasons) as to why NJ is the wealthiest state in the US.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,203 times
Is BK really that far from Mount Vernon? I live in England, my geography is rubbish and have invited my FB friends to an event. If could, I would be there myself!
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]North East Region Black Law Enforcement Networking Night.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Date: January 14th, 2010 at 730pm until
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Place: African American Club (AAC), 216 East Third St, Mt. Vernon, NY
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]And Every Second Thursday of the month after[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].
Come network with your brothers and sisters in law enforcement. The North East Region is starting a new meet,greet and network night. This night gives the friends and members of the NE Region of the National Black Police Association a chance to fellowship with one another and build a stronger brother and sisterhood.
[/FONT]
[url=http://www.nbpanortheast.org/Events-.html]Events[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City