Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 11:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
You must be joking, you lost a lot of ground with that statement.

I'm going to go ahead and let you do a little research and then get back to me...b/c my man, if you don't think there's any European leagues then you are so out of touch with the rest of the world that's it's nothing short of depressing.

(I mean that with the utmost sincerity)
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I'm literally shocked and appalled he didn't know
I'm not really. People that just talk out of their ass tend to not have a lot of knowledge lol.

And on that, I'm out the door. Have a happy and safe New Year everybody! Including you guys, the handful of slower, ultra-stubborn posters!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:08 AM

37 posts, read 34,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Oh but your ignorance is SOOO much funnier!

Apparently you weren't present during my post a few pages back so I'll help you out:

Foot meet mouth. LOL too funny.

Again, your ignorance is simply funny and proves you have never set foot in Europe. Again, American Footbal is not popular in Europe, anyone who ever been to Europe and watched TV or read a newspaper over there knows it. Nobody reports on it. The existence of a league with fanatics playing the sport does not prove anything. Heck, there is US Cricket Association and we all know how popular the game is in the US as opposed to its obscure local variation called baseball There is US Polo Association with both men and women leagues. 32 teams and fans. Would you call polo a popular sports? Can you name the current champion?
Anyways, we were talking about popularity of American Football in Europe and I can only tell you that it is not a popular sport over there even though people are aware of it, the same way we are aware of rugby or cricket. If you think Europeans would generally watch superbowl to observe American teams play a truly American sport with no European representation you are very mistaken. You want to talk to Europeans about American sports - talk about basketball. Those interested in the sport know and watch both European and American teams...

PS I have nothing against Wikipedia, it's a great source but you really have to understand the context of provided information to make it usefull. Otherwise, as every other encyclopedia, it is as usefull as a scientific calculator in hands of a monkey...

Last edited by mescal; 01-01-2010 at 01:39 AM..

Old 01-01-2010, 06:55 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Does the NFL still play two regular season games at Wembley Stadium? I thought they were doing this through 2011. (Why is this thread about football now)?

Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Blasphemy!

The new york character doesnt hit you to you cross that GWB. When you travel somewhere for a long period of time you should know what im talking about. You dont get that "where not in kansas anymore" till u cross that gwb or that lincoln. New jersey doesnt feel like nyc it feels like new jersey. I noticed that even when i was a kid, going to my aunts house(those cylinder buildings right across the hudson)
The GWB goes into Bergen County. I too wouldn't expect the palisade cliffs and the relieving open highways to have much NYC character, but who gives a crap. The best thing for me is to hang out in NYC, and after all the horns, traffic, and congestion It's great to cross the GWB and be on the quiet wide open highway thinking "home sweet home". It's the convinience that makes it great.

I agree with Infamous, Hudson county resembles parts of residential Manhattan and the Bronx. Of course it's not going to be exactly like the two boroughs, so relax, but the similar architecture and high population density makes hudson county look more like NYC than anywhere else in America. All in all, it's still NJ.

Here's a look at cities/towns with the highest population density in the NYC area with all 5 boroughs included.

1.) Manhattan- 66,940/mi

2.) Guttenberg, NJ (Hudson Co) 56,012/mi
3.) Union City, NJ (Hudson Co) 52,978/mi
4.) West New York, NJ (Hudson Co) 44,352/mi

5.) Brooklyn- 34,917/mi
6.) The Bronx- 31,709/mi

7.) Hoboken, NJ (Hudson Co) 30,239/mi
8.) Cliffside Park, NJ (Bergen Co) 23,848/mi

9.) East Newark, NJ (Essex Co) 23,330/mi
10.) Passaic, NJ (Passaic Co) 21,805/mi

11.) Great Neck Plaza, NY (Nassau Co Long Island) 20,853/mi
12.) Irvington, NJ (Essex Co) 20,528/mi
13.) Queens- 20,409/mi
14.) East Orange, NJ (Essex Co) 17,777/mi
15.) Paterson, NJ (Passaic Co) 17,675/mi

16.) Long Beach, NY (Nassau Co Long Island) 16,595/mi
17.) Jersey City, NJ (Hudson Co) 16,094/mi
And more NJ.... Staten Island 8204/mi

Old 01-01-2010, 11:33 AM

37 posts, read 34,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
The GWB goes into Bergen County. I too wouldn't expect the palisade cliffs and the relieving open highways to have much NYC character, but who gives a crap. The best thing for me is to hang out in NYC, and after all the horns, traffic, and congestion It's great to cross the GWB and be on the quiet wide open highway thinking "home sweet home". It's the convinience that makes it great.
And that's exactly why we don't like New Jersey. You come over to hang out in New York and enjoy it's artsy atmosphere yet you would not contribute to New York with your taxes and you don't share the mindset. Keep in mind the City of New York spends on arts more than the National Endowment for the arts in the entire US. Yes, by living and working in New York we support arts yet New Jersey does not have such aspirations. New Jersey residents would not carry such a burden, after all it is so much easier to build a huge IMAX or another shopping mall. You know what, come over and spend you money, we need that but never ever claim you have anything in common with New York City, anything more than any other visitor from Nebrasca or Texas who is gawking at New York City without understanding what it takes to build such a great city, such a cultural giant like New York City. I hope they raise tolls on bridges and tunnels to $20 so you would leave your cars in your nice quiet neighborhoods instead of polluting the city with congestion and emissions and then complaining about just that pointing out how clean and quiet your own neighborhoods are in comparison, how "convenient" they are...
Build your own city.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mescal View Post
Again, your ignorance is simply funny and proves you have never set foot in Europe. Again, American Footbal is not popular in Europe, anyone who ever been to Europe and watched TV or read a newspaper over there knows it. Nobody reports on it. The existence of a league with fanatics playing the sport does not prove anything. Heck, there is US Cricket Association and we all know how popular the game is in the US as opposed to its obscure local variation called baseball There is US Polo Association with both men and women leagues. 32 teams and fans. Would you call polo a popular sports? Can you name the current champion?
Anyways, we were talking about popularity of American Football in Europe and I can only tell you that it is not a popular sport over there even though people are aware of it, the same way we are aware of rugby or cricket. If you think Europeans would generally watch superbowl to observe American teams play a truly American sport with no European representation you are very mistaken. You want to talk to Europeans about American sports - talk about basketball. Those interested in the sport know and watch both European and American teams...

PS I have nothing against Wikipedia, it's a great source but you really have to understand the context of provided information to make it usefull. Otherwise, as every other encyclopedia, it is as usefull as a scientific calculator in hands of a monkey...
Man this poor guys is a lost cause. I'm not going to continue any further after this b/c it is off topic and you two arguing against it is making the rest of us look like the mean kids at school picking on Corky Thatcher. But I have to point out the lunacy in your choosing to actual stand by your argument at this point. Lol.

See, your tactic of trying to switch the crown of ignorance to someone who has proven what they were saying from the guy who was just proven incorrect does not work. Allow me to refresh you so you can remember what it is you are even arguing here - not this new version you tried to concoct so that you could sound like you've made a point lol.

Quote:
There is no European league of American football, there is British rugby but no football. It's not geography, football is just not an European sport. there is no interest. Soccer on the other hand has an actual league in the US because there is a lot of interest in this sport here.
And while I must applaud your attempt to imply my info was flawed b/c it came from Wikipedia, it was quite an impotent maneuver. I had no need to research any further than that in order to find evidence to the contrary of your 100% incorrect claims of football being non-existent in Europe. I of course already knew that was completely false b/c I watched NFL Europa when it still existed (which had some players who came from leagues in many different nations including Japan and Mexico), as well as the American Football World Cup in 2007 and the NFL games at Wembley Stadium the past two years that sold out.

And just for laughs, here's another little tidbit that can function as the nail in the coffin for your claim of any football leagues or interest of any kind in Europe:

"Wembley was chosen to host the second regular season game to be played outside of North America after impressing NFL bosses in hosting the Giants v Dolphins game in 2007. The NFL have confirmed that the UK will host at least one regular season game for three seasons, starting with the New Orleans Saints versus the San Diego Chargers in October 2008 and running through to the 2010 season. With the popularity of American Football in the UK and Europe bigger than ever before, demand for tickets for the Saints v Chargers game has surpassed all expectations with over half a million people having applied for tickets. The first sale of tickets went happened in May and all 45,000 sold out in 90 minutes, with the second phase of 15,000 selling out in just 30 minutes during June. We will bring you the latest news on the final sale of tickets for this year’s game, which will take place during September 2008 and will be sold on general admission basis when they are made available."

NFL London 2010 | Wembley Stadium

Wow, sure sounds like Europe could care less about American Football! NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER!! LOL. I got that from NFLLONDON.NET, which the existence of alone negates your claims LMAO.

Not one person on this thread ever tried to say it was anywhere near as popular as soccer and cricket, and the fact that you went there just shows how desperate you were to try and sound like you've made a point. The only reason there was any arguing about this subject at all was b/c two of you tried to claim there was NO INTEREST AT ALL, when there clearly is plenty, regardless of how high the sport ranks vs. other sports in Europe and elsewhere overseas. Sorry, but your phony stance of trying to make this out to be us saying football is more popular than other sports is not going to work (although I think it is more popular than baseball in Europe and until anyone shows me anything solid to the contrary I have no reason to think otherwise). The fact that football leagues and interest in the sport exist overseas has been proven, and you guys claiming that there is no interest in it at all are flat out wrong. Check and mate.

Last edited by jman650; 01-01-2010 at 02:48 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
And that's exactly why we don't like New Jersey. You come over to hang out in New York and enjoy it's artsy atmosphere yet you would not contribute to New York with your taxes and you don't share the mindset. Keep in mind the City of New York spends on arts more than the National Endowment for the arts in the entire US. Yes, by living and working in New York we support arts yet New Jersey does not have such aspirations. New Jersey residents would not carry such a burden, after all it is so much easier to build a huge IMAX or another shopping mall. You know what, come over and spend you money, we need that but never ever claim you have anything in common with New York City, anything more than any other visitor from Nebrasca or Texas who is gawking at New York City without understanding what it takes to build such a great city, such a cultural giant like New York City. I hope they raise tolls on bridges and tunnels to $20 so you would leave your cars in your nice quiet neighborhoods instead of polluting the city with congestion and emissions and then complaining about just that pointing out how clean and quiet your own neighborhoods are in comparison, how "convenient" they are...
Build your own city.
Did you really need to raise the level of ignorance in your posts to this?

And where's "Nebrasca?" Is that near Canzass?

Old 01-01-2010, 02:43 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
What does this all have to do with the boroughs vs NJ? lol

Old 01-01-2010, 02:48 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,111 times
it has to do with the stupidity of some people in the boroughs and their denial of basic facts about planet earth.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
it has to do with the stupidity of some people in the boroughs and their denial of basic facts about planet earth.
LMAO precisely! Like I said though, I'm done on that point since its off topic and I've proven what I set out to. There's no need to kick out all of his teeth after I've already knocked him out lol.

I think what's been shown in this thread though is that Jersey has made a lot more contributions culturally than it usually ever gets any credit for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City