Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 03:24 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
1. Football is not at all popular outside the U.S. lol
2. That popularity would not transfer to people abroad being Dallas fans. Dallas has no swagger outside america. Why would it. What have they done exactly? The yankees represent new york city, is more historic, and more successful. Theres no comparison. Like dude said earlier, you can see a yankee fitted in the boondocks.
Again, you really have to get outside of the BX. The superbowl in 2007 was the WORLDS MOST WATCHED EVENT. It's easy to tell you just say stuff (check out the link):

Super Bowl, the world’s most watched live TV sports event in 2007

MLB came up 'fifth'

Old 12-31-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I do not like arguing with you, because you are my friend. However I want to say my point of view. I like NJ is a great state. However for the purpose of this thread. I have to say NJ cannot be compared in any way to NYC.

You stated New Jersey is where the world's first film production studio was created where the first recorded film was ever made. This later moved on to Fort Lee where it became the motion picture capital of America BEFORE ever reaching out into Hollywood. This is incorrect because:

Hollywood – The World Cinema | Majestic51 Men's Mag - News, Babes, Articles, Movies, Games and tons of Chat! (http://majestic51.com/hollywood-the-world-cinema/ - broken link)

Also why do you think that Frank Sinatra made the song of New York, New York? Because NYC in fact is a great city and nothing can be compared to NYC.
In 1894, the world’s first commercial motion picture exhibition was given in New York City, using Thomas Edison’s Kinetoscope.

To clarify this excerpt of yours (b/c it seems you're trying to say film was developed in NY)

an 'exhibition' in NY does not mean it was 'created' in NY. The same way hip/hop was 'created' in BX, but quickly moved on to other boroughs (and then taken by the West before moving south and so on)

Old 12-31-2009, 03:59 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
In 1894, the world’s first commercial motion picture exhibition was given in New York City, using Thomas Edison’s Kinetoscope.

To clarify this excerpt of yours (b/c it seems you're trying to say film was developed in NY)

an 'exhibition' in NY does not mean it was 'created' in NY. The same way hip/hop was 'created' in BX, but quickly moved on to other boroughs (and then taken by the West before moving south and so on)
Duke, the rest of the world could careless about American football. They may entertain it, like we do soccer. But come on. Soccer,basketball,baseball,rugby etc. Are played more overseas.

Hip hop is a new york city creation.And is recognized as such. Culturally they are tied. It started in the bronx and than spread to the rest of the world. Film is in no way culturally linked to nj. The avg person wouldnt know that jersey had a hand in it at all. Its like a trivia question. Besides new york gets more credit for birthing hollywood anyway

Old 12-31-2009, 04:35 PM

37 posts, read 34,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Again, you really have to get outside of the BX. The superbowl in 2007 was the WORLDS MOST WATCHED EVENT. It's easy to tell you just say stuff (check out the link):

Super Bowl, the world’s most watched live TV sports event in 2007

MLB came up 'fifth'

You really have to get outside... I don't know what. No, football outside of the US is not really popular. Try soccer which is often referred to as... football outside of the US...

Old 12-31-2009, 04:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times
i like how people argue against actual facts and stats with baseless/useless personal opinions
the guy posts a link saying the superbowl was THE. MOST. WATCHED. SPORTS. EVENT. IN. THE. ENTIRE. PLANET. IN. 2007.

and the retort? "no because ppl dont like football outside of the U.S"
lol, bunch of morons

"The report says an average live global audience of 97 million people watched the Indianapolis Colts defeat the Chicago Bears. Following the NFL Super Bowl in second place was Formula One’s Brazilian Grand Prix, followed by the UEFA Champions League Final."

oh wait never mind actual facts don't matter in this discussion. jackassesgl

Old 12-31-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mescal View Post
You really have to get outside... I don't know what. No, football outside of the US is not really popular. Try soccer which is often referred to as... football outside of the US...
Served on numerous overseas bases and yes...OMG...Europeans are quite familiar with AMERICAN football.

as 'expect' said, you guys are actually trying to fight stats w/ baseless opinions. Love it or hate it, the Superbowl was the victor in '07.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Duke, the rest of the world could careless about American football. They may entertain it, like we do soccer. But come on. Soccer,basketball,baseball,rugby etc. Are played more overseas.

Hip hop is a new york city creation.And is recognized as such. Culturally they are tied. It started in the bronx and than spread to the rest of the world. Film is in no way culturally linked to nj. The avg person wouldnt know that jersey had a hand in it at all. Its like a trivia question. Besides new york gets more credit for birthing hollywood anyway
That's your defense? 'But come on'??? Is that how you convince all of your opponents?

And FYI, for any who know HISTORY, they DO know TV/Film was created in NJ (Thomas Edison). His large research facility is a National Historic place. Just b/c you don't associate the above mentioned with NJ, doesn't mean other folks do not. Where were you in History class?

Last edited by 66nexus; 12-31-2009 at 05:24 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 05:26 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Blasphemy!

The new york character doesnt hit you to you cross that GWB. When you travel somewhere for a long period of time you should know what im talking about. You dont get that "where not in kansas anymore" till u cross that gwb or that lincoln. New jersey doesnt feel like nyc it feels like new jersey. I noticed that even when i was a kid, going to my aunts house(those cylinder buildings right across the hudson)

Our opinions are just different, I feel different "characters" when I'm in different boroughs. Coming from the Lincoln just feels like I'm on the other side of Manhattan, nice views of the skyline. You get that feeling when you are in NYC, I don't get it until I'm at least a good 10-20 miles away.

What makes Hudson Co. any less NYC than Richmond Co. lol?

Old 12-31-2009, 06:08 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
We can't forget "The Sopranos".
The whole series was set in New Jersey and it was the most financially successful cable series in the history of television. (It's also won 21 Emmys and 5 golden globes). And James Gandolfini who played the main roll in the series was a Jersey man himself.

I'm sure the significance in that alone brought a lot of attention towards New Jersey.

I for one am I fan of the series, and watching it shows a lot of New Jersey's culture (subsiding NJ's mafia scene) It shows a lot of Newark's underrated history (since Gandolfinin's character was born there) which is often overlooked. They also use a lot of authentic settings to exude NJ's rich culture..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx5FGpwHd5A
The Sopranos is a really good example for the Jersey side of the argument. Oddly, in recent years that show has become synonymous with the Mafia for most Americans. NJ has eclipsed NYC when it comes to that image lately just because of that show, which is strange b/c NYC is and always has been the capital of all that is Italian Mafia related. But it seems that most people nowadays refer to Tony Soprano before they do Don Corleone. I still think of NY when I think of the mob, but I've definitely been hearing more about the Sopranos when people have made random references in recent years. This probably has more to do with the show drawing people's attention more than news articles since you don't hear as much about the mob in the news these days.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:11 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantabuckhead View Post
All 5 boroughs, including NJ have shaped NYC.
I nominate this for most rational post of the thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City