Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 09:56 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times

Advertisements

Again,

folks who don't know about film and NJ are simply uninformed. That's like someone not knowing about the Civil War equating it to it never happening.

PS: Paterson was a center of American innovation in Industrial Culture (Industrial Revolution)

Working in Paterson - (American Memory from the Library of Congress)

...culture in Paterson, New Jersey, was conducted in 1994. Paterson is considered to be the cradle of the Industrial Revolution in America.,... The basis for Paterson's manufacturing potential was the Great Falls on the Passaic River. Paterson went on to become the largest silk manufacturing center in the nation as well as a leader in the manufacture of many other products, from railroad locomotives to firearms

Old 01-03-2010, 09:57 PM

14 posts, read 11,457 times
ROTLF. New Jersey is the birthplace of rock and roll because some new jersey website says so, New Jersey is the birthplace of film industry because a film commision in world-famous Fort Lee NJ says so, finally is is the most innovative state because.... you guessed it: Research & Development Council of New Jersey says so. On top of that they have very old city that is not really known as cultural wonder and avoided as much as possible.... Wow, what a cultural giant New Jersey is. Simply awesome

PS. I am not going to refute your laughable claims (rock and roll originated in New Jersey? According to whom?) but just read about Kaufmann-Astoria Studios, maybe you'll learn something about Queens, after all you are located so close to real history that took place in Astoria. Real history so much more interesting and culturally relevant than having the longest boardwalk in the world History that shaped the culture of this nation.

In the earliest days of the American film industry, New York was the epicenter of film-making. The Kaufman Astoria Studios in Queens, built during the silent film era, was used by the Marx Brothers and <A href="https://www.city-data.com/wiki/W.C._Fields" target=_blank><FONT color=#0066cc>W.C. Fields

Old 01-03-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofunintrolling View Post
ROTLF. New Jersey is the birthplace of rock and roll because some new jersey website says so, New Jersey is the birthplace of film industry because a film commision in world-famous Fort Lee NJ says so, finally is is the most innovative state because.... you guessed it: Research & Development Council of New Jersey says so. On top of that they have very old city that is not really knows as cultural wonder and avoided as much as possible and the longest boardwalk
Wow, what a cultural giant New Jersey must be. Simply awesome

PS. I am not going to refute your laughable claims (rock and roll originated in New Jersey? According to whom?) but just read about Kaufmann-Astoria Studios, maybe you'll learn something about Queens, after all you are located so close to real history that took place in Astoria. Real history so much more interesting and culturally relevant than having the longest boardwalk in the world
'epicenter' does not a birthplace make.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
ROTLF. New Jersey is the birthplace of rock and roll because some new jersey website says so, New Jersey is the birthplace of film industry because a film commision in world-famous Fort Lee NJ says so, finally is is the most innovative state because.... you guessed it: Research & Development Council of New Jersey says so. On top of that they have very old city that is not really known as cultural wonder and avoided as much as possible.... Wow, what a cultural giant New Jersey is. Simply awesome

PS. I am not going to refute your laughable claims (rock and roll originated in New Jersey? According to whom?) but just read about Kaufmann-Astoria Studios, maybe you'll learn something about Queens, after all you are located so close to real history that took place in Astoria. Real history so much more interesting and culturally relevant than having the longest boardwalk in the world History that shaped the culture of this nation.

In the earliest days of the American film industry, New York was the epicenter of film-making. The Kaufman Astoria Studios in Queens, built during the silent film era, was used by the Marx Brothers and W.C. Fields. Chelsea, Manhattan was also frequently used. Mary Pickford, an Academy Award winning actress, shot some of her early films in this area. However, the better year-round weather of Hollywood made it a better choice for shooting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_the_United_States#Origins

Whaaaat!!!! You knock BPerone's links and then you back up your own claims with...with....wikipedia!! The everyman's encyclopedia!!

Talk about the pot calling the tea kettle black

Old 01-03-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
'epicenter' does not a birthplace make.

What? I guess you were trying to say that epicenter does not equal birthplace. Well, let's leave semantics aside for a moment. Let me ask you this, bithplace or epicenter... Was New Jersey ever an epicenter of anything in term of culture?

Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Cinema was born in NJ, regardless if NY'ers like that fact or not.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:07 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Lol where does all of this come from. You keep bringing things out the woodworks and none of these things are culturally tied to new jersey.

Early film is associated with 1900/20's new york. And than california. Thomas edison created the kinetoscope but there were examples of film before that. The concept of the moving picture predates that. And anyway to say that film is culturally linked to new jersey is reaching

Chuck berry,lil richard etc are not from new jersey. Rock and roll is a black southern creation not a south jersey creation. Thats laughable
You just proved my point.
Your arguing and denying valid points when you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. All this in attempts to make your outer boroughs gleam

Quote:
Chuck berry,lil richard etc are not from new jersey. Rock and roll is a black southern creation not a south jersey creation. Thats laughable
Contradiction
Herc isn't from the Bronx, yet Hip Hop was created there by him (and don't give me you "society helped" crap because without herc, society would be clueless.)

The Southern blacks originated jazz and blues, not rock n roll (rock n roll did relate with jazz and blues though as hip-hop did with poetry)

Even with all this said, I admitted that I wasn't certain that rock n roll starting in NJ due to a few other cities/towns who claim that rock n roll originated in their town. (Though some of the greatest rock n roll artist hail from NJ)

~

Quote:
Early film is associated with 1900/20's new york. And than california. Thomas edison created the kinetoscope but there were examples of film before that. The concept of the moving picture predates that. And anyway to say that film is culturally linked to new jersey is reaching
I don't know why i'm continuing to ague with such ignorance, but just to finish off, I gave you the link. Did you read it?

How about a quote from wikipedia

"The history of cinema in the United States can trace its roots to the East Coast where at one time, Fort Lee was the motion picture capital of America. The industry got its start at the end of the 19th century with the construction of Thomas Edison's "Black Maria", the first motion picture studio in West Orange, New Jersey. Cities in New Jersey offered land at costs considerably less than New York City, and the cities and towns of New Jersey near New York benefited greatly as a result of the phenomenal growth of the film industry at the turn of the 20th century."

Or how about a book?
Fort Lee: Birthplace of the Motion ... - Google Books

Anyway, I'm done arguing people who argue valid points.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Whaaaat!!!! You knock BPerone's links and then you back up your own claims with...with....wikipedia!! The everyman's encyclopedia!!

Talk about the pot calling the tea kettle black
Yeah, links to New Jersey websites obviously touting New Jersey horn, really entertaining.

Queens today has two major film studios:

Kaufmann Kaufman Astoria Studios (http://www.kaufmanastoria.com/about_02.php - broken link)
and
Silvercup Silvercup Studios - History

Any film studios in "awesome New Jersey?"

Old 01-03-2010, 10:42 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You just proved my point.
Your arguing and denying valid points when you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. All this in attempts to make your outer boroughs gleam

Contradiction
Herc isn't from the Bronx, yet Hip Hop was created there by him (and don't give me you "society helped" crap because without herc, society would be clueless.)

The Southern blacks originated jazz and blues, not rock n roll (rock n roll did relate with jazz and blues though as hip-hop did with poetry)

Even with all this said, I admitted that I wasn't certain that rock n roll starting in NJ due to a few other cities/towns who claim that rock n roll originated in their town. (Though some of the greatest rock n roll artist hail from NJ)

~

I don't know why i'm continuing to ague with such ignorance, but just to finish off, I gave you the link. Did you read it?

How about a quote from wikipedia

"The history of cinema in the United States can trace its roots to the East Coast where at one time, Fort Lee was the motion picture capital of America. The industry got its start at the end of the 19th century with the construction of Thomas Edison's "Black Maria", the first motion picture studio in West Orange, New Jersey. Cities in New Jersey offered land at costs considerably less than New York City, and the cities and towns of New Jersey near New York benefited greatly as a result of the phenomenal growth of the film industry at the turn of the 20th century."

Or how about a book?
Fort Lee: Birthplace of the Motion ... - Google Books

Anyway, I'm done arguing people who argue valid points.
Ive said it before. Afrika bambaataa was the true creator of Hip hop culture. He along with grandmaster flass aswell as the urban bronx youth created hip hop. Hip hop started off humbly as no more than urban youth culture in new york city. Not this big industry. Anybody that says that kool herc has a bigger play than Bambaataa in the actual creation of the culture doesnt know what they're talking about. Hip hop was a joint creation of thousands of young new yorkers not just one single person. The elements of the genre came from many different directions

Rock and roll started in the south period, with chuck,richard and others. Thats what it is... thats the general consensus. Rock and roll started as black southern music, far from a boardwalk in new jersey. Thats ridiculous. Stop reaching

Roundhay Garden Scene Created in the UK is credited as the first motion picture

Old 01-03-2010, 10:58 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
So now industrial revolution equals culture?
HA HA...........................

We are not talking about small inventions. The light bulb & the motion picture are significant human achievements. Cinema > Hip Hop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City