Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 01:04 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,111 times

Advertisements

oh ok because an unpopular team would rank 2nd only to Manchester United as the most valuable sports franchise on planet earth.
yea of course you're right
cowboys playing 16 times a year, 2009 revenue- 350 million
yankees playing 162 games a year, 2009 revenue- 319 million

i dont know what someone in japan would recognize first, and i wont make assumptions. id rather deal with facts, like the fact that the cowboy's revenues and the cowboy's value is greater than the yankees. therefor my argument backed with facts > yours backed by your baseless opinions

Old 12-30-2009, 01:39 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Aight so your going to seriously say the cowboys are more recognized than the yankees. When you see yankee fitteds from texas to london. And ya math doesnt make sense. It cant be based off games the yankee stadium is packed every game

Old 12-30-2009, 04:15 AM

37 posts, read 34,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
i dont know what someone in japan would recognize first, and i wont make assumptions. id rather deal with facts, like the fact that the cowboy's revenues and the cowboy's value is greater than the yankees. therefor my argument backed with facts > yours backed by your baseless opinions
If it wasn't for the 27 titles I would agree with you. Also, you would be surprised in what remote areas of the world you can someone wearing a Yankee cap.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:20 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Aight so your going to seriously say the cowboys are more recognized than the yankees. When you see yankee fitteds from texas to london. And ya math doesnt make sense. It cant be based off games the yankee stadium is packed every game
Pro football is much more popular world wide and in America so it would not be surprising if Dallas or Green Bay or New England or Pittsburgh NFL teams are more popular than the stankees

Another question: If they are so popular, why do they only build a stadium that seats less than 50,000? Football stadiums seat way more than that (and almost always sell out)

Old 12-30-2009, 09:32 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Of course The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island takes the cake. These boroughs is what makes the city of NYC. New Jersey cannot be compared to NYC at all. Nothing compares to NYC. Lastly, New York is called the empire state for a reason..

Definition of empire: WordNet Search - 3.0

Lastly empire means having an emperor as chief of state. So NY is the emperor of the other states
I personally think without Manhattan, New Jersey can definitely compare. But that's just two separate opinions. (I havn't heard much of anything on this thread referring to Staten Islands cultural significance)

The reason why it's called the empire state is because of it's economic growth and wealth due to NYC (Wall St.). I surely don't think It's called the empire state because it's the "emperor" of the country, or else DC wouldn't be the nations capital, and the emperor (president) would't be living there.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Pro football is much more popular world wide and in America so it would not be surprising if Dallas or Green Bay or New England or Pittsburgh NFL teams are more popular than the stankees

Another question: If they are so popular, why do they only build a stadium that seats less than 50,000? Football stadiums seat way more than that (and almost always sell out)
LOL so you are saying the Yankees are not that popular because there are 50,000 seats less? Also you are saying that the Yankees tickets are not always sold out? If you go to the Yankees stadium it is always pack... So I do not know what you are saying here...

Old 12-30-2009, 11:03 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Also you are saying that the Yankees tickets are not always sold out?
Actually the Yankees had such a tough time selling the Legends Suites this year, they're cutting prices for the 2010 season. In fact for the 4 game series vs the Sox, they only averaged 93% capacity. So no...they are not always sold out. Far from it.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post

1. Football is not at all popular outside the U.S. lol

2. That popularity would not transfer to people abroad being Dallas fans. Dallas has no swagger outside america. Why would it. What have they done exactly? The yankees represent new york city, is more historic, and more successful. Theres no comparison. Like dude said earlier, you can see a yankee fitted in the boondocks.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,111 times
lol@ your argument
my argument: cowboys value= 1.6 billion, yankees 1.3 billion
your argument: omg there are yankee hats in japan

you should've been a lawyer.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:58 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
1. Football is not at all popular outside the U.S. lol

2. That popularity would not transfer to people abroad being Dallas fans. Dallas has no swagger outside america. Why would it. What have they done exactly? The yankees represent new york city, is more historic, and more successful. Theres no comparison. Like dude said earlier, you can see a yankee fitted in the boondocks.
1. You are very incorrect. From Wikipedia:

"The sport is also played outside the United States. National professional and collegiate leagues exist in United Kingdom, Germany, Italy,[3] Switzerland,[4] Finland, Sweden,[5] Japan, Mexico, Israel,[6] Spain, Austria,[7] and several Pacific Island nations.

In the UK, 46 teams play in the British American Football League. The BAFL has three levels: The Premier, of which there are five teams; BAFL 1, of which there are 19 teams; and BAFL 2, of which there are 26 teams. While the lower level teams have their own championship games during BritBowl Weekend, only Premier league teams face each other in the BritBowl which is it held in Doncaster's Keepmoat Stadium. Unlike the NFL, the BAFL season is played through the summer (April to September), with the British university season spanning the autumn and winter.
In Mexico, the ONEFA is a college league with 26 teams in 3 conferences.
In Japan, the X-League is a professional league with 60 teams in four divisions, using promotion and relegation. After the post-season playoffs, the X-League champion is determined in the Japan X Bowl. There are also over 200 universities fielding teams, with the national collegiate championship determined by the Koshien Bowl. The professional and collegiate champions then face each other in the Rice Bowl to determine the national champion.
In Germany, the German Football League whose elite division is called Bundesliga, has 12 teams partitioned into north and south conferences. The finalists from the playoffs determine the German champion during the German Bowl.
In Hungary, 18 registered teams participate in a the MAFL's two division league structure. The sport has grown significantly since 2004 and with some top Division I teams participating in the CEFL.
In Norway, div I consists of only two teams, Oslo Vikings and Eidsvoll 1814's. These two teams also compete in the European Football League but they play an annual game for the Norwegian Championship title. Norway has seven other teams that play in div II and this division is looked upon as the Norwegian Football League.
The International Federation of American Football is the governing body for American football with 45 member associations from North and South America, Europe, Asia and Oceania. The IFAF also oversees the American Football World Cup, which is held every four years. Japan won the first two World Cups, held in 1999 and 2003. Team USA, which had not participated in the previous World Cups, won the title in 2007."

American football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this didn't even touch on the Canadian Football League or the total of 4 different leagues in the UK they have for American Football. Yeah, its not popular AT ALL outside of here.

And baseball blows compared to football anyway. Outside of the US, Japan and the Caribbean baseball is not extremely popular (although it does exist in many countries as well).

2. Ugh, enough with beating us over the head about the yankees hats! We get it, you've seen some youtube vids with some kids from London wearing the hats. Point made!

Did you ever stop to think that maybe they were just wearing them b/c they want to wear something AMERICAN, and NYC being the media darling would make the NY hats desirable to them?? Do you have any idea how many people I've met that wear hats for every team in baseball just to match their fits and could care less about the teams? My homeboy from Oakland wears a yankees hat and when people have come at him like "F**k the yankees," he's like "yeah, f**k em," because he doesn't care about the team at all. He has the hat to go with his clothes.

And this is not uncommon. Did you see the Wale video where he's wearing an SF Giants hat? He's from DC, does that make him a Giants fan? Most likely no. Most likely he was just wearing it cause it went with what he was wearing in the video.

Man you've been saying this over and over again, and I gotta tell ya its a pretty weak argument for what's supposed to prove that NY is jocked worldwide. Not saying that it isn't, but that is a weak example to keep referencing. America is/was jocked worldwide (and that's rapidly changing), and NY gets the most attention b/c of a NE bias, so its not surprising at all that the yankees hats are the first thing someone in the UK would get to have that's American. They're not all yankees fans, so get over it.

Last edited by jman650; 12-30-2009 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City