Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 11:27 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
And to bperone-

I never said the boroughs get more visitis i couldnt call it. The boroughs might not be that far behind..they ight be idk. Jersey is a state. One state vs four countyies. The boroughs are however more culturally significant than than your state.

And the bronx-kidd is hating on his own city, thats not normal. Thats open minded?
Does NY state have more culture than NJ when you exclude NYC?
I don't know why you can't understand that your comparison of the largest and greatest city in the nation to a state that's made up of mid-sized cities and metropolitan suburbs is stupid.

Newark and Jersey City offer a lot of culture and arts for their size. You really have little knowledge about these cities besides the common knowledge that leads to "Newark is dangerous". (Though Newark has made some of the greatest strides in the nation since it was once crowned the most dangerous city, and most murderous city in the 90s to not even appearing in the top 10, or 20 for that matter on "most dangerous cities" lists today. It also has had incredible drops in murder rates)
Newark, only having a population of 280K+, has one of the most successful performing arts centers in the nation (6th in annual visitors, and home to a Grammy award winning orchestra.)
And I've told you before about The Newark Museum, and whether or not YOU ever heard of it, it's recognized as one of the best museums containing world artifacts (It's noted for having the best Tibetan gallery)
And I'm not going to bore your NYer mentality about Newarks history and how it's culture came to be, but it's very rich in it.

Jersey City is another great city that holds more culture than you know of. It's home to the stomping grounds of immigrants who came through Ellis Island for one. It's also home to more artist than the Soho district of Manhattan which is the well known district of ARTS.
Have you ever even been around, or even researched Jersey City to make all these statements?
Jersey City is basically the art capital of the nation despite its size and neighbor. It has A LOT of high end art galleries and museums. And don't get me started on how Jersey City's strong diversity puts a strong cultural significance on the city. What more can I say, these are some of the many reasons why Jersey City os one of the fastest growing cities in the North East.

So whether or not NJ has more or less of a cultural significance than NYC, it definitely exudes more culture than anything else of it's size. NJ cities offer a lot more in terms of culture than what the sizes are expected to contain.

~

Hating on your city isn't normal?! why the hell do so many people move from their home then to far away places? I'm sure you hear people, especially in the Bronx, who are dying to get out. (I hear it in NJ as well) It's definitely a norm that you just seem to be insecure about.
It's open minded because bronx-kidd is thinking freely and openly, spewing his own opinions. You don't know his situation. You think just because your in the Bronx you should and HAVE to gather all the pride, love, and joy and never let the Bronx down no matter what the situation... that's called "narrow mindedness"

Last edited by BPerone201; 12-28-2009 at 11:37 AM..

Old 12-28-2009, 11:43 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Does NY state have more culture than NJ when you exclude NYC?
I don't know why you can't understand that your comparison of the largest and greatest city in the nation to a state that's made up of mid-sized cities and metropolitan suburbs is stupid.

Newark and Jersey City offer a lot of culture and arts for their size. You really have little knowledge about these cities besides the common knowledge that leads to "Newark is dangerous". (Though Newark has made some of the greatest strides in the nation since it was once crowned the most dangerous city, and most murderous city in the 90s to not even appearing in the top 10, or 20 for that matter on "most dangerous cities" lists today. It also has had incredible drops in murder rates)
Newark, only having a population of 280K+, has one of the most successful performing arts centers in the nation (6th in annual visitors, and home to a Grammy award winning orchestra.)
And I've told you before about The Newark Museum, and whether or not YOU ever heard of it, it's recognized as one of the best museums containing world artifacts (It's noted for having the best Tibetan gallery)
And I'm not going to bore your NYer mentality about Newarks history and how it's culture came to be, but it's very rich in it.

Jersey City is another great city that holds more culture than you know of. It's home to the stomping grounds of immigrants who came through Ellis Island for one. It's also home to more artist than the Soho district of Manhattan which is the well known district of ARTS.
Have you ever even been around, or even researched Jersey City to make all these statements?
Jersey City is basically the art capital of the nation despite its size and neighbor. It has A LOT of high end art galleries and museums. And don't get me started on how Jersey City's strong diversity puts a strong cultural significance on the city. What more can I say, these are some of the many reasons why Jersey City os one of the fastest growing cities in the North East.

So whether or not NJ has more or less of cultural significance than NYC, it definitely exudes more culture than anything else of it's size. NJ cities offer a lot more in terms of culture than what the sizes are expected to contain.
I never said newark or jersey city didnt have culture. But theres was a blatant disrespect for the boroughs by jerseyans. Im not comparing the whole city to new jersey that would be bullying. Just the other four boroughs

And im not trying to be a jerk. But jersey city being the arts capitol of the nation?

And about bronx kidd. Its one thing to say you dislike it here and want to move. The bronx kidd was taking it to another level actually bashing the city as if here were a californian. Its just weird to me. Thats all

Old 12-28-2009, 12:10 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
I post really quick and really dont have time to spell check. Your the only person who has had that complaint. Its lame really

I think a little common sense is in store for you. Get it through your skull- People from the bronx are not the vast majority going to these places trust me. Have you ever been to the ny botanical or the bronx zoo. Look around those places you can tell most of these people are not from the bronx. U have to be a clown or a hater to use that as an argument against places that receive millions of visits each year. I dont know why you keep saying that. Any rational person would know that

"I never said the other boroughs were irrelevant. I questioned your claim that there were millions visiting all the other boroughs after I said the vast majority stay in Manhattan."

Ok you questioned it and i proved my case. So?.........................
I questioned your spelling and grammar because you called me a clown. Not lame, a valid point.

Why should I trust you? You have given no proof of anything you have said.

I was going to the Bronx Zoo and Botanical Gardens before you were born.

The Bronx Zoo has about 2 million VISITORS a year not tourists. Many are repeat visitors from the area that have season passes, many are classes taking day trips, many live in NY and go once or twice a year. Yes, some tourists go there, I never said they didn't. Do millions go there? No.

You proved absolutely nothing. You typing something into a thread is not you proving something.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:29 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I questioned your spelling and grammar because you called me a clown. Not lame, a valid point.

Why should I trust you? You have given no proof of anything you have said.

I was going to the Bronx Zoo and Botanical Gardens before you were born.

The Bronx Zoo has about 2 million VISITORS a year not tourists. Many are repeat visitors from the area that have season passes, many are classes taking day trips, many live in NY and go once or twice a year. Yes, some tourists go there, I never said they didn't. Do millions go there? No.

You proved absolutely nothing. You typing something into a thread is not you proving something.
Its safe to say that a good percentage of that 2 million are not from the bronx. If you've been going to the zoo(which proves my point in a way) since i was born than you should know that. Your playing dumb. If 2 million go to the bronx zoo every year alone, plus the millions that attend yankee stadium, to the near million that attends the ny botanical ADDED on by what brooklyn has(coney,brooklyn museum etc) and Queens and staten island. You would have to be an idiot to say that millions dont come to the boroughs.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:35 PM

44 posts, read 85,047 times
jamaica avenue, a "good shopping district" lol

Old 12-28-2009, 02:02 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Why doesn't this thread include a poll?

Anyway, here are just a few things that I thought of that NJ has contributed to the world over the years:

Thomas Edison invented LIGHT in NJ, lol (West Orange, NJ)

Les Paul invented the solid-body electric guitar (Mahwah, NJ) which changed music forever.

Movies (motion pictures) were invented in NJ.

Baseball started in NJ.

College football started in NJ.

Brewing beer in the US started in NJ (America's first brewery, Hoboken NJ)

Frank Sinatra.

World famous Jersey Tomatoes.

World famous Jersey cranberries and blueberries.

Taylor ham invented in NJ, and only available in NJ.

Monopoly, the world's most famous board game, is based on Atlantic City, NJ.

There are more Cubans in Union City, NJ than in Havana Cuba.

RADIO was invented in NJ.

TV was invented in NJ.

the Jersey Shore Sound:
Jersey Shore sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can somebody list some contributions that the boroughs have given to the world? Without tangible identification of such things ... it's all based on opinions. Which is why this thread should include a poll, LOL.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:21 PM

44 posts, read 85,047 times
im too lazy to fact check this guy's claims.. particularly baseball, radio, tv.. and lol@ tomatos and cherries.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:27 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Its safe to say that a good percentage of that 2 million are not from the bronx. If you've been going to the zoo(which proves my point in a way) since i was born than you should know that. Your playing dumb. If 2 million go to the bronx zoo every year alone, plus the millions that attend yankee stadium, to the near million that attends the ny botanical ADDED on by what brooklyn has(coney,brooklyn museum etc) and Queens and staten island. You would have to be an idiot to say that millions dont come to the boroughs.
How does me going to The Bronx Zoo before you were born prove your point in any way, shape or form?

Why is it safe to say a good percentage that go are not from the Bronx? Are you trying to say visitors from Queens, Manhattan, Yonkers, etc. are tourists?

Yankees averaged about 45,000 paid attendance a game this year and have about 36000 season ticket holders. They count those that were paid for and no one shows also so it pads it a little. The majority of those other tickets are sold in other plans. Once again, some tourist go to games but there aren't many seats to be had. Even if you had 4000 tourists a game that is less than 325,000 for the year.

Let me put it quite simply, you don't count the total visitors to an arena/attraction and say they are all tourists. .

I will once again state what it did in my first reply to one of your posts, Millions do visit NYC each year and the vast majority will not leave Manhattan.

You really do expose yourself with your continued use of the words clown, idiot, etc. They do not validate anything you are trying to say.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:37 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
last time i went to the bronx zoo i was in elementary school..

Old 12-28-2009, 04:29 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
I post really quick and really dont have time to spell check. Your the only person who has had that complaint. Its lame really
Naw dude, sorry but the spelling is actually horrendous and undermines your arguments because it makes you sound unintelligent when you have as many errors as you do. I saw someone else point this out to you a few days ago on another NY vs Jersey thread you were arguing in. I think most people just ignore it and laugh, as that's what I've done most of the time. But just fyi, he's not the only one.

Many of us post really quick and don't have the time to spell check, but our errors are not in the same abundance yours are. And my comments are intended to help you, not attack you, so you don't need to respond defensively to this.

Quote:
Jersey is a state. One state vs four countyies. The boroughs are however more culturally significant than than your state.
Why are some of you pro-NYers so heavy on the theatrics? So many start off with an NYC vs. the world argument and then continually remind us that "its just one little city against an entire state!" Or region or whatever is being compared at the time. Like you guys are always the underdog with your backs up against the wall and NYC is so awesome b/c it always prevails!

No matter how much praise we all give NYC for being as great as it is, its never enough for some of you. Yes, Jersey is a whole state and you're comparing it to one city. Or in this case, 80%+ of one. But you're overlooking the fact that its a pretty even playing field when NYC has almost the same population as ALL of Jersey! NYC has a larger population by itself than 39 of our states, so let's not act like its the underdog in any way. It gets every advantage possible and then some.

Jersey is the underdog here in this comparison, and I think its holding its own quite well. Especially considering NYC, being a city, is more consolidated than a state that is split between two metros. So NJ is really at quite the disadvantage when it comes to which of the two should be the most influential culturally.

Quote:
And the bronx-kidd is hating on his own city, thats not normal. Thats open minded?
Well its more open-minded than simply having blind faith in where you're from and failing to acknowledge any fault. He's looking at things objectively, without bias, and he's finding he has some distaste for where he's from. So yes, open-minded is exactly what he is.

Just because he's found that other places appeal to him more doesn't mean he's hating. At least I haven't seen him say anything that I would call hating. He just doesn't have that uber-pride some of you have that prevents you from seeing things the rest of the world sees. If you can't understand that and can only comprehend it as "hating," then the concept of open-mindedness is over your head.

There are people from everywhere who find they have a distaste from their hometown or state and want to be elsewhere - plenty of which end up going to NYC. I don't that makes any of them haters, unless they actually begin bashing where they're from. And even then, if that's how they feel then so what? Its very strange how you can't seem to comprehend having anything less than unwavering pride in your hometown. The world is much bigger than the little bubble NYC sits in, and the Bronx is even smaller. You should really try getting out more and get some perspective.

Last edited by jman650; 12-28-2009 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City