Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 04:32 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Dont play yourself. Its commonly known that the bronx is the birthplace. Afrika BAMbaataa created the hip hop sound and culture not kool herc. Dont type on what you dont know. Im from the bronx, my parents grew up in that era. Im not using wikipedia here.
Kool herc moved from jamaica when he was a little kid anyway

If anything a nj station, atleast one, should be known to new yorkers. None are however. Small time dont count either. Im not hopeless its just that your state is cultureless
Umm...jazz 88.3 (Newark) is one of the metro areas few MAJOR jazz stations. And IS known all over the continent b/c of online listening.

It appears that your only point of reference is hip/hop.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:24 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
The Bronx Zoo.
Why is it so great? It's a zoo I once visited when I couln't even say The Bronx Zoo. (and the only reason we visited it was because we were visiting family in the Bronx) There's nothing more there other than it's NYC ambiance that I can't find in any other New Jersey zoo. If you believe this is more important than any culture significance NJ has to offer, than there is no point to argue against such ridiculousness..

Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchamp View Post
im too lazy to fact check this guy's claims.. particularly baseball, radio, tv.. and lol@ tomatos and cherries.
Baseball's an arguable one and a matter of semantics.
The rest are all plausible, and the phonograph should be added

And why lol@ the tomatoes and Cherries? Cherries were not mentioned and your pretty sheltered if you've never herd of Jersey Tomatoes and Corn. They are know the world over.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:37 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Default it proves my point because your not from new york thats why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
How does me going to The Bronx Zoo before you were born prove your point in any way, shape or form?

Why is it safe to say a good percentage that go are not from the Bronx? Are you trying to say visitors from Queens, Manhattan, Yonkers, etc. are tourists?

Yankees averaged about 45,000 paid attendance a game this year and have about 36000 season ticket holders. They count those that were paid for and no one shows also so it pads it a little. The majority of those other tickets are sold in other plans. Once again, some tourist go to games but there aren't many seats to be had. Even if you had 4000 tourists a game that is less than 325,000 for the year.

Let me put it quite simply, you don't count the total visitors to an arena/attraction and say they are all tourists. .

I will once again state what it did in my first reply to one of your posts, Millions do visit NYC each year and the vast majority will not leave Manhattan.

You really do expose yourself with your continued use of the words clown, idiot, etc. They do not validate anything you are trying to say.
Look i dont know why your so hung up on this. Its like your trying to tell me 2+2=5

Point is millions of people go to yankee games, a vast majority are not from the bronx, Millions go to the bronx zoo. Alot are not from the bronx. They dont have to be from france to count as tourist.And not all theses people are new yorkers either. The general interest these places generate in are in the millions. Stop hating. U trying to do your own math on season ticket holders and everything is laughable and exposes you as a hater, who does that. All you have to know is that the yankees generete big numbers every year, aswell as the bronx zoo and the botanical. Aswell as the brooklyn museum and so on and so forth.

I say clown, for instance. I already said that manhattan receives the lions share of visits. I stated that like 3 times already. I said that there were things in the other boroughs that generate great interest aswell.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post

No matter how much praise we all give NYC for being as great as it is, its never enough for some of you. Yes, Jersey is a whole state and you're comparing it to one city. Or in this case, 80%+ of one. But you're overlooking the fact that its a pretty even playing field when NYC has almost the same population as ALL of Jersey!

Jersey is the underdog here in this comparison, and I think its holding its own quite well.

There are people from everywhere who find they have a distaste from their hometown or state and want to be elsewhere - plenty of which end up going to NYC. I don't that makes any of them haters, unless they actually begin bashing where they're from. And even then, if that's how they feel then so what? Its very strange how you can't seem to comprehend having anything less than unwavering pride in your hometown. The world is much bigger than the little bubble NYC sits in, and the Bronx is even smaller. You should really try getting out more and get some perspective.
Hold up, from your tone. It seems like your making me out to be the bad guy here. Im not. Jerseyans tried to throw weight around, claiming that manhattan was the only thing in ny worth going to. Which is ridiculous. Jersey city and the surronding counties have borough envy. I understand it, its obvious. Which is cute. But at the same time im not going to sit here and take that from anyone, especially someone from jersey or anywhere in the tristate.The point is the boroughs have contributed more to culture and have more general relevance than new jersey.

And jersey has more ppl than the boroughs, they are not the under dog

And to Bperone.New Yorks premier zoo. The bronx zoo is the biggest metropolitan zoo in the US and is a world reknown venue. And is far beyond any zoo in new jersey. Come on. Had it been on the level of the central park zoo, or the queens zoo, or the bk zoo i wouldnt have mentioned it. But its not.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Why doesn't this thread include a poll?

Anyway, here are just a few things that I thought of that NJ has contributed to the world over the years:

Thomas Edison invented LIGHT in NJ, lol (West Orange, NJ)

Les Paul invented the solid-body electric guitar (Mahwah, NJ) which changed music forever.

Movies (motion pictures) were invented in NJ.

Baseball started in NJ.

College football started in NJ.

Brewing beer in the US started in NJ (America's first brewery, Hoboken NJ)

Frank Sinatra.

World famous Jersey Tomatoes.

World famous Jersey cranberries and blueberries.

Taylor ham invented in NJ, and only available in NJ.

Monopoly, the world's most famous board game, is based on Atlantic City, NJ.

There are more Cubans in Union City, NJ than in Havana Cuba.

RADIO was invented in NJ.

TV was invented in NJ.

the Jersey Shore Sound:
Jersey Shore sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can somebody list some contributions that the boroughs have given to the world? Without tangible identification of such things ... it's all based on opinions. Which is why this thread should include a poll, LOL.
Alot of those are like the bronx claiming sonya sotomayor to prove there relevance. Its like........eh?!?

Alot of those inventions were the work of so many people, so many discoveries. To say that NJ is directly culturally relevant, when nobody even begins to associate them with it anyway, because of things like cherries(lol) and lights and tomatoes. Proves my point

What staple can the this generation of america directly relate to jersey, distinctively new jersey. I'll give you Blue eyes

Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 PM

44 posts, read 85,067 times
Bruce Springsteen, George Clinton, frankie vallie and the 4 seasons, the fugees, whitney houston, bon jovi, dionne warwick, redman, naughty by nature, derek jeter, shaq, jack nicholson, dennis rodman, meryl streep, paul simon, princeton, rutgers, seton hall = nj

Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 PM

Bronx-Billy joel(born in the X) Stanley Kubrick,Ralph LAuren,Calvin Klein,big pun, Jlo,Colin Powell, Sonya sotomayor(nations current supreme court justice) Fordham university,afrika bambatta,The genre of hip hop period and countless rappers,Al pacino,fiorello laguardia,cuba gooding jr,george carlin,New york yankees.

Got tired. I'll add the other boroughs later

Old 12-28-2009, 11:31 PM

44 posts, read 85,067 times
would never brag about jlo, colin powell or sotomayor lol.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:33 PM

i can see jlo but the other two. Two high minority government officials?.....but Redman?? Rutgers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City