Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2022, 04:51 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,134,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
Matt 10:28

28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Oh you got me Brightfame52 - I get it now, eternal torture IS a good thing because God can destroy the soul and body in hell. Never saw that one before.

Oh wait, I have seen it before many times, and eternal torture is still the most evil thing humanity can think of, although attributing it to God is probably worse.

First of all that verse says nothing about eternal torment or eternal torture, so thanks for proving my point.
Second of all its not even translated correctly. Its "gehenna" - the Valley of Hinnom. Not 'hell'. The translators did much damage by making gehenna=hell.

Jesus is talking about a metaphor for judgment where you will "die in fire". The flesh must die.

At the very best case, you could use that verse as support for annihilation. I wouldn't even have a problem with that. But you are blinded to read hell='eternal' when it doesn't even say it. You also are blinded to think think fire='eternal torture' in flames. And somehow you don't even question your understanding as that would be very against the character of God which IS AGAPE (LOVE).

Old 06-02-2022, 06:04 PM

4,639 posts, read 1,184,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Oh you got me Brightfame52 - I get it now, eternal torture IS a good thing because God can destroy the soul and body in hell. Never saw that one before.

Oh wait, I have seen it before many times, and eternal torture is still the most evil thing humanity can think of, although attributing it to God is probably worse.

First of all that verse says nothing about eternal torment or eternal torture, so thanks for proving my point.
Second of all its not even translated correctly. Its "gehenna" - the Valley of Hinnom. Not 'hell'. The translators did much damage by making gehenna=hell.

Jesus is talking about a metaphor for judgment where you will "die in fire". The flesh must die.

At the very best case, you could use that verse as support for annihilation. I wouldn't even have a problem with that. But you are blinded to read hell='eternal' when it doesn't even say it. You also are blinded to think think fire='eternal torture' in flames. And somehow you don't even question your understanding as that would be very against the character of God which IS AGAPE (LOVE).
You giving people false hope. Some people are going to hell!

Old 06-02-2022, 06:08 PM

4,639 posts, read 1,184,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post

Darksoul52 knows neither the word of the Lord, and worse, the ways of the Lord whose mercy endures forever.

"Let his love continually pour from you to one another, because God is love. Everyone who loves is fathered by God and experiences an intimate knowledge of him. The one who doesn’t love has yet to know God, for God is love. The light of God’s love shined within us when he sent his matchless Son into the world so that we might live through him. This is love: He loved us long before we loved him. It was his love, not ours. He proved it by sending his Son to be the pleasing sacrificial offering to take away our sins. Delightfully loved ones, if he loved us with such tremendous love, then loving one another should be our way of life! No one has ever gazed upon the fullness of God’s splendor. But if we love one another, God makes his permanent home in us, and we make our permanent home in him, and his love is brought to its full expression in us." ~TPT
God's love is limited to the elect. He has hatred for the non elect seed of the serpent.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:37 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times
Quote:

Those who never receive Jesus as their Lord and Saviour are most certainly going to hell.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:09 AM

553 posts, read 173,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post

Those who never receive Jesus as their Lord and Saviour are most certainly going to hell.
Does that include the Jews?

Old 06-03-2022, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsmaine View Post
Does that include the Jews?
The fate of unbelieving Jews is related to us in Romans 11:9-10.

Those verses appear to me to be speaking of everlasting torment.

Rom 11:9, And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them:
Rom 11:10, Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Let me rebut Brightflame52 with one simple sentence.

'Eternal torture in hell' is a false teaching because it is the most ridiculous heinous evil mankind can think of, and God is GOOD.
This in all reality is a contention that the God that is worshiped by Christians, the God of the Bible, isn't good.

Because the God of the Bible does in fact give, as a deterrent, the penalty of eternal torture to those who will not relinquish their sins to God by availing themselves of the Cross of Christ so that the sin nature might be eternally dealt with.

This contention falls under the category of what we find the apostle Jude speaking of in his epistle.

Jde 1:14, And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
Jde 1:15, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.
Jde 1:16, These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

There is a way that seems right to a man but the end thereof is death.

It seems right to a man that the God of the Bible couldn't possibly be God for that "God is good; and a good God would never implement eternal torture."

People who contend for this idea have men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

But the fact is, that these same men are ungodly sinners who are speaking hard speeches against God.

But God doesn't have to answer to you;

The reality is that you will answer to Him.

Old 06-03-2022, 01:19 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,032,424 times
NONSENSE 101!

Search = "eternal torment" =

There are no concordance results for eternal torment in the KJV.

The tag team of Dumb and Dumber must learn to sing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpgaWm2pnNs

Last edited by Rose2Luv; 06-03-2022 at 01:34 AM..

Old 06-03-2022, 03:10 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
This nonsense smells like hell.

Old 06-03-2022, 01:21 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,032,424 times
The scope of Christ's Love =

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...08&version=KJV

"Nothing shall separate us."

The whole groaning creation v.20 & 22.

They and us v.23

Nothing = oudeís =

No one, nothing at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity