Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2022, 11:24 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times

Advertisements

https://www.blueletterbible.org/sear...=s_primary_0_1

Old 05-31-2022, 11:26 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,032,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
Hi my friend. Good to see you again too.
The glorious Gospel exceeds anything we have ever imagined.

"In His love, He chose us as His own in Christ before the creation of the world, that we might be holy and without blemish in His presence. For He pre-destined us to be adopted by Himself as sons through Jesus Christ--such being His gracious will and pleasure--to the praise of the splendour of His grace with which He has enriched us in the beloved One. It is in Him, and through the shedding of His blood, that we have our deliverance--the forgiveness of our offences--so abundant was God's grace, the grace which He, the possessor of all wisdom and understanding, lavished upon us, when He made known to us the secret of His will. And this is in harmony with God's merciful purpose for the government of the world when the times are ripe for it--the purpose which He has cherished in His own mind of restoring the whole creation to find its one Head in Christ; yes, things in Heaven and things on earth, to find their one Head in Him. In Him we have been made heirs, having been chosen beforehand in accordance with the intention of Him whose might carries out in everything the design of His own will." ~Weymouth

Old 05-31-2022, 11:34 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,134,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
The glorious Gospel exceeds anything we have ever imagined.

"In His love, He chose us as His own in Christ before the creation of the world, that we might be holy and without blemish in His presence. For He pre-destined us to be adopted by Himself as sons through Jesus Christ--such being His gracious will and pleasure--to the praise of the splendour of His grace with which He has enriched us in the beloved One. It is in Him, and through the shedding of His blood, that we have our deliverance--the forgiveness of our offences--so abundant was God's grace, the grace which He, the possessor of all wisdom and understanding, lavished upon us, when He made known to us the secret of His will. And this is in harmony with God's merciful purpose for the government of the world when the times are ripe for it--the purpose which He has cherished in His own mind of restoring the whole creation to find its one Head in Christ; yes, things in Heaven and things on earth, to find their one Head in Him. In Him we have been made heirs, having been chosen beforehand in accordance with the intention of Him whose might carries out in everything the design of His own will." ~Weymouth
Very awesome Rose2Luv...

Its amazing how the good news is even better than we first thought!

jjGuru - I'm enjoying your posts as well!

Old 05-31-2022, 11:36 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,032,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
When I use the phrase “in Christ”, I believe it refers to the state of believers.
Rev. 5:13

Every created thing (παν κτισμα). Every creature in a still wider antiphonal circle beyond the circle of angels (from κτιζω, for which see 1 Timothy 4:4; James 1:18), from all the four great fields of life (in heaven, upon the earth, under the earth as in verse Revelation 5:3, with on the sea επ της θαλασσης added).

No created thing is left out. This universal chorus of praise to Christ from all created life reminds one of the profound mystical passage in Romans 8:20-22 concerning the sympathetic agony of creation (κτισις) in hope of freedom from the bondage of corruption. if the trail of the serpent is on all creation, it will be ultimately thrown off.

Saying (λεγοντας). Masculine (construction according to sense, personifying the created things) if genuine, though some MSS. have λεγοντα (grammatical gender agreeing with παντα) present active participle of λεγω, to say.

And to the Lamb (κα τω αρνιω). Dative case. Praise and worship are rendered to the Lamb precisely as to God on the throne.Note separate articles here in the doxology as in Revelation 4:11 and the addition of το κρατος (active power) in place of ισχυς (reserve of strength) in Revelation 5:12. ~A.T. Robertson

Old 05-31-2022, 12:22 PM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
The only proof that I can give you is the fact that I have been baptized in Jesus' Name and therefore I have been given the Holy Ghost (Acts 2:38-39).

And therefore, when I say that adhering to a kjv-superior understanding is essential to salvation, I am speaking by the Holy Ghost and therefore you ought to hearken to what I am saying.

<<snip>>

Utterly ridiculous!

Virtually everybody taking part in this forum is a baptized Christian, and, by your own reasoning, has been given the Holy Ghost. Yet, they almost universally disagree with you.

There is no reason to accept your claim that your reasoning is any better than anybody else's.

There is a baptized Christian in this forum that will say that virtually any translation you can name is superior to any other translation. Certainly, they can't all be right, but they can all be wrong. In reality, each is right in the sense that each translation has something of value.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:28 PM

1,091 posts, read 279,177 times
Quote:
Actually, it is at the name of Jesus that every knee should bow.
Actually, it's not "at" but rather "in" (Gk "εν"). The word "at" in English doesn't really capture the meaning of the Greek word "εν" in the text. The term being used in the text has the meaning of being in a fixed position, at rest and remaining in place.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:59 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Utterly ridiculous!

Virtually everybody taking part in this forum is a baptized Christian, and, by your own reasoning, has been given the Holy Ghost. Yet, they almost universally disagree with you.

There is no reason to accept your claim that your reasoning is any better than anybody else's.

There is a baptized Christian in this forum that will say that virtually any translation you can name is superior to any other translation. Certainly, they can't all be right, but they can all be wrong. In reality, each is right in the sense that each translation has something of value.
I don't see anyone actually making any kind of claim that a version other than the kjv is superior to all others.

That is why there is a "kjv-only controversy" and not an "NIV-only controversy" or an "ESV-only controversy".

The claim has only been made concerning the kjv.

Now, either kjv-only advocates are arrogant or else they have compared translations and found the kjv to be superior.

btw, ridiculous = foolishness (see 1 Corinthians 1:18,21).

And you might be surprised at how many people actually agree with me as concerning the basic tenets of the faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
Actually, it's not "at" but rather "in" (Gk "εν"). The word "at" in English doesn't really capture the meaning of the Greek word "εν" in the text. The term being used in the text has the meaning of being in a fixed position, at rest and remaining in place.
It is at.

Old 05-31-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Very awesome Rose2Luv...

Its amazing how the good news is even better than we first thought!

jjGuru - I'm enjoying your posts as well!
Thanks for the kindness .

Old 05-31-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
It is at.
Do you have a reason why you believe so, other than simply asserting "just because"?

Old 05-31-2022, 01:21 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,344,758 times
Im beginning to see a similar pattern here.

Not unlike our current political climate.

There are those who gather their " facts " from their favorite outlets.
And only their favorite outlets..

The " outlets " become the source of truth alone.

I wish someone can explain to me how a group of books, written at different times, in different languages, thousands of years ago, by people who were writing from memory . And in many cases by authors who were writing on behalf of others.
Oh, and what individual books were included is STILL in dispute.

How can anyone say with authority that the books they choose are the only authoritative expression of God's will. As if somehow, God dictated His instructions, and they were written down verbatim.

This worship of books, is starting to look like a form of idolatry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity