Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2022, 05:16 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
The sins of others are wrongdoing; and I do not presume to judge anyone; I leave the judging up to Christ. I will proclaim to the sinner what His judgments are concerning sins that they may be committing.

Jesus preached hellfire and brimstone in Matthew 25:41, Matthew 25:46, Matthew 13:41-42, and Matthew 13:49-50.

So, you are saying that not only did Jesus do what is anathema to Christ's good news of agape love; but that He was doing satan's job.

Some view you have of Christ there, friend.
Stop pretending that I believe any such thing about JESUS!!! It is your Bible that is misinterpreted by ignorant savage primitives who did not understand Jesus and completely misinterpreted His sacrifice. They interpreted everything from their belief in a wrathful and vengeful War God who constantly needed to be appeased by blood sacrifices because that is all they had ever known.

They were not psychologically capable of comprehending the God of agape love and forgiveness revealed and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus on the Cross. It made no sense to them so they automatically assumed it was necessary to appease God's wrath against us. 2nd Corinthians 3:14-17

Old 02-03-2022, 05:21 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,845,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
If that was the case how come in the book of Acts not ONCE do we read of the apostles preaching hell fire ? You have munching too much on the doctrine of men, ever likely you are so opposed to the great truth that God IS the savior of ALL men.
I believe that the doctrine of hell fire and brimstone is intended to produce a missionary spirit in the believer and not so much to scare people into believing in Christ. Since the apostles were evangelizing unbelievers, they did not mention hell-fire and brimstone. That doctrine is for the believer to inspire him and motivate him to evangelize.

This is why Jesus spoke of hell-fire and brimstone primarily to His disciples in secluded locations; it is not a doctrine for the world but a doctrine for the church.

It also helps those who believe to have power in their lives to defeat sin.

But it is primarily intended to stoke believers on to evangelism.

Eternal judgment is a basic doctrine of the faith and it does not need to be re-staked unless there are those who are contending against it. In fact, the author of Hebrews said that if God permits, we will leave off from the preaching of eternal judgment (Hebrews 6:1-3). But God does not permit us to cease from preaching on it for as long as there are those who contend against it.

Old 02-03-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Stop pretending that I believe any such thing about JESUS!!! It is your Bible that is misinterpreted by ignorant savage primitives who did not understand Jesus and completely misinterpreted His sacrifice. They interpreted everything from their belief in a wrathful and vengeful War God who constantly needed to be appeased by blood sacrifices because that is all they had ever known.

They were not psychologically capable of comprehending the God of agape love and forgiveness revealed and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus on the Cross. It made no sense to them so they automatically assumed it was necessary to appease God's wrath against us. 2nd Corinthians 3:14-17
I'm inclined to give you a second admonition but will not do so at this time.

For as long as you do not accept that the Holy Bible is the inspired and inerrant word of God in its entirety, there can be no common ground between us; other than the fact that somehow you believe in the truth about God's Triune nature and we seem to be in perfect agreement on that point.

The Bible teaches that God is who He is.

That He has angry and negative emotions against sin is evident in not a few verses of holy scripture.

In rejecting the God of the Bible for a god who is described only by some of what is written in holy scripture, you have concocted a god of your imagination after your own image who is not just but who is much more like the god of the Muslims in that he is "most merciful" without justice.

I will say that I believe that there are distinctions between the members of the Trinity in that Jesus (the Son) is come in the flesh and His humanity has an impact on His personality as opposed to who He is in His pre-incarnate form as a Spirit without flesh.

Old 02-03-2022, 05:37 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
I believe that the doctrine of hell fire and brimstone is intended to produce a missionary spirit in the believer and not so much to scare people into believing in Christ. Since the apostles were evangelizing unbelievers, they did not mention hell-fire and brimstone. That doctrine is for the believer to inspire him and motivate him to evangelize.

This is why Jesus spoke of hell-fire and brimstone primarily to His disciples in secluded locations; it is not a doctrine for the world but a doctrine for the church.

It also helps those who believe to have power in their lives to defeat sin.

But it is primarily intended to stoke believers on to evangelism.

Eternal judgment is a basic doctrine of the faith and it does not need to be re-staked unless there are those who are contending against it. In fact, the author of Hebrews said that if God permits, we will leave off from the preaching of eternal judgment (Hebrews 6:1-3). But God does not permit us to cease from preaching on it for as long as there are those who contend against it.
I'm not interested one iota in that at the moment. Why are you a fire and brimstone preacher when our example evangelists in the book of Acts where anything but that ? The message is Jesus Christ is the savior of all men which speaks volumes about God, but your fiery brand speak volumes about what "appears" to men to be a stumbling block for God.... You just do not get that where sin abounds grace super abounds much more.

Old 02-03-2022, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I'm not interested one iota in that at the moment. Why are you a fire and brimstone preacher when our example evangelists in the book of Acts where anything but that ? The message is Jesus Christ is the savior of all men which speaks volumes about God, but your fiery brand speak volumes about what "appears" to men to be a stumbling block for God.... You just do not get that where sin abounds grace super abounds much more.
I do believe that there are those here who frequent these boards who are members of the church of Jesus Christ; and for their sake I seek to preserve sound doctrine.

And I have already told you that we will move on from hell-fire and brimstone preaching if God permits.

However, God will not permit that for as long as there are those who are contending against this very sound doctrine in holy scripture.

Yes, where sin abounds grace super abounds; however this does not preclude that there is not going to be a judgment. Revelation 20:10-15 is clear on that.

Old 02-03-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I do believe that there are those here who frequent these boards who are members of the church of Jesus Christ; and for their sake I seek to preserve sound doctrine.

And I have already told you that we will move on from hell-fire and brimstone preaching if God permits.

However, God will not permit that for as long as there are those who are contending against this very sound doctrine in holy scripture.

Yes, where sin abounds grace super abounds; however this does not preclude that there is not going to be a judgment. Revelation 20:10-15 is clear on that.
In other words you cannot explain why the apostles were not hell fire preachers are but you are, and you cannot support your position by Scripture. So why should we listen to you on anything regarding the salvation of men, especially the salvation of all men. The sound scriptures regarding evangelism are found in the book of Acts, where we find the apostles up against the Jewish authorities and Gentiles, and never once did they resort to fire and brimstone.

Old 02-03-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
In other words you cannot explain why the apostles were not hell fire preachers are but you are, and you cannot support your position by Scripture. So why should we listen to you on anything regarding the salvation of men, especially the salvation of all men. The sound scriptures regarding evangelism are found in the book of Acts, where we find the apostles up against the Jewish authorities and Gentiles, and never once did they resort to fire and brimstone.
I have explained it but apparently you do not accept my explanation.

Old 02-03-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I have explained it but apparently you do not accept my explanation.
No you have not, the Apostles were not fire and brimstone preachers so what scriptural authority do you have to be so ?

Old 02-03-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
No you have not, the Apostles were not fire and brimstone preachers so what scriptural authority do you have to be so ?
Paul preached eternal suffering in Romans 11:9-10.

Jesus preached hellfire and brimstone and the author of Hebrews wrote that eternal judgment is a basic tenet of the Christian faith (Hebrews 6:1-3).

We can move on from this type of preaching if God permits.

But God will not permit it for as long as there are those who are contending against this very sound truth of holy scripture.

Old 02-03-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Paul preached eternal suffering in Romans 11:9-10.

Jesus preached hellfire and brimstone and the author of Hebrews wrote that eternal judgment is a basic tenet of the Christian faith (Hebrews 6:1-3).

We can move on from this type of preaching if God permits.

But God will not permit it for as long as there are those who are contending against this very sound truth of holy scripture.
Lol, they were not preaching that. Our example in evangelism is the apostles in the scripture, repent and preach that Jesus Christ is the Savior of All.

Paul when he was in Athens said this, tell me where the fire and brimstone is in this message.

16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.

17 Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.

18 Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.

19 And they took him, and brought him unto Areopagus, saying, May we know what this new doctrine, whereof thou speakest, is?

20 For thou bringest certain strange things to our ears: we would know therefore what these things mean.

21 (For all the Athenians and strangers which were there spent their time in nothing else, but either to tell, or to hear some new thing.)

22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.

23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, To The Unknown God. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

32 And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.

33 So Paul departed from among them.

34 Howbeit certain men clave unto him, and believed: among the which was Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman named Damaris, and others with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity