Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 12:34 PM

145 posts, read 359,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynner View Post
Hi all.

I found this thread in researching the Little River area for relocating. If everything goes right, if the mortgage rates stay low -- I am hoping from moving from... PA to this area. Like most, this long winter took the last of my patience.

I was looking in the FL area, but the overall heat and lack of seasons threw me.

So add me to your list, please. Right now, I'm preparing some projects to complete on the home prior to listing it... and, finger's crossed, we should be heading down that way right after Christmas.

We do need to make a group of transplants!

Any suggestions for areas in Little River/MB to avoid completely if purchasing? What about homes in Longs? I need a medium-sized yard for my dogs, so condo's and townhomes are out of the question.

If you feel more comfortable, send me a private email.

Crabbing, here I come!
This thread is almost 3 months old. I am trying to start a group where newcomers and hopefuls meet. Of course, everyone is welcome. I'm getting it started here and hopefully there will be local "in person" meetings. IF such a group already exists there, I would be happy to be involved. Hope you keep us informed about your progress with your relo to MB area and continue to keep in touch after you settle in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Default Engine12, Sorry you had to lower your price so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine12 View Post
Summering, tried to send you a PM but you don't allow them... Where abouts in PA was your home, we are close to Gettysburg. Did you have wall paper and removed it, and also did you have different colors and re-paint ? We have one of the best realtors and do open houses just about every Sunday. Just looking for some other possible ideas.... We have already lowered the price over 45k... Thanks
I lived in Gettysburg for almost 2 years (1990-1992). I had been living in Waynesboro, my dad's mother's home, prior to that off and on since 1971. I think the home values in G'burg are not as high as in the Philly burbs, but not as low as in Detroit. MB would be pretty exciting compared to G'burg, which I found really quiet and sedate, in spite of the summer crowds and college kids. One of the things I remember about my time is G'burg was the "parade" where the "bones" (of war soldiers?) were moved from a private collection to the cemetery. I will probably never experience anything like that again -- depressing but very interesting.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:55 PM

Default Mgmt company may help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynner View Post
I've got the dilemma of renting versus selling. Take the money and run -- or use the rental for long-term investment. While I would enjoy the extra monthly income, there's the problem of renting from a distance, keeping a rental occupied, and finding a good 'handyman' to actually do the work. I'd rather sell it to a family who will keep up the home, enjoy the huge yard, and make the home a celebration again.
Realtors sometimes will handle some of the problems you're describing, as well as collect the rent. I know there are long-distance landlords. Unfortunately, I don't know much about it -- don't know the risk, even under the best of circumstances. Am considering renting out mine.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:00 PM

Default Your new home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Vrexy......Thanks........I remember you.........
I buy a home NEXT WEEK.........I can hardly believe it myself.
We love the ocean, the people, and the places of Myrtle Beach.
I even miss the little ole' dog park...( and so does Maddie)
I'll be your neighbor soon, Wave to me...
Summering, Hope everything finalizes well with your purchase and relo!

Old 07-03-2011, 01:04 PM

Default Summering, I agree with all your advice on staging

[quote=Summering;19689237]You mean a Direct Message.........that should work.....hemmmmmm.
Our PA home is just below Stroudsburg, past the Delaware Water Gap.

I have no wallpaper. I realize, what was my tastes, would not be a future buyers tastes.......The owner usually loves their wall paper, the buyer does not.
I have very neutral colors. Shades of tans....one called comforting that changes color a bit depending on the light coming in. Some pale sage green in the bedrooms.
It all boiled down to price. I had it on previously, decorated the same and it was in a higher bracket.
I believe you have to be on the "lower" side now. Sure my home was worth 85 thousand more just some years back..... It is not that time now. You have to be completely priced right or the Open Houses will go to waste.
No extras around as far as collectibles. A few in a grouping as decor.....
No 8X10 pictures sitting on a huge, huge, wall. Good clean floors....
Leave rooms open with space. Dispose of old items, extra clutter.
I hope your home is sold now.......
If not, best, best, of luck to you........Summering[/QUOT

I think the single most important factor -- NEUTRAL, not just in colors, in everything. You did that with your home. Paid off for you.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:08 PM

Default I have not been to MB since I was 13...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
2 more days until I return, hopefully for the last time as a tourist, to Myrtle Beach. I wish I were job interviewing and house hunting and leaving MI behind forever, but maybe next time.
that was in the 1960's. It must be really hard to have to leave there. I feel for you. But you get to experience what you will be able to have all the time -- a never-ending vacation! At least that's what it will be for me. I know we have to work there, living not like vacationing, but I know of people who work at the Jersey shore all summer in order to be able to spend the whole season there. I realize not quite the same as living there, but still I look forward to it.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Default Welcome to the Newcomers and Hopefuls to MB Group Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Magnafan View Post
Well, my wife and I finally decided that Myrtle Beach would be better for us than Sarasota--for several reasons. Now, we are learning about the real estate market, checking in with a lawyer, scanning the news, even listening to Grand Strand streaming radio.

We notice that oceanfront condos are beginning to drop in price quickly. However, I've had experience living in a condo during the last real estate bust in the late seventies. People were selling their units for quit-claim deeds back then--the condo board was hopeless and the place began to look old before its time. I wouldn't want to repeat that.

I notice that the POA/HOA fees are going to be higher than our monthly mtge or line of credit payments. In SC, how can delinquent HOA fees be recouped?

Also, how difficult is it the get a look at the condo corp's books--and its reserve fund?

It may be that after careful research, it might be an idea to go with a freehold propert.

Can you help me with my thoughts?

Thanks.
I'm thinking you definitely have been a real estate professional. From this thread, I think you will find what you need, although you may have to wait for the right person to reply.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:21 PM

244 posts, read 715,928 times
In SC, how can delinquent HOA fees be recouped?

Also, how difficult is it the get a look at the condo corp's books--and its reserve fund?

One way that HOAs try to squeeze some delinquent fees from foreclosed properties in SC is to file a lien when the foreclosure goes under sales agreement. That usually gets someone's attention at the lender. I've had very little luck getting access to HOA financials but am not sure if it is because my realtor doesn't go after them hard enough or because they aren't made available. You can usually get a general sense of whether the HOA is in trouble by the number of foreclosures past and present in the building. Smaller projects tend to be more vulnerable because one deadbeat is disproportionately more hurtful than in a large project with responsible owners.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:03 PM

7 posts, read 15,797 times
Smile Moving to MB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingSouthGal View Post
This thread is almost 3 months old. I am trying to start a group where newcomers and hopefuls meet. Of course, everyone is welcome. I'm getting it started here and hopefully there will be local "in person" meetings. IF such a group already exists there, I would be happy to be involved. Hope you keep us informed about your progress with your relo to MB area and continue to keep in touch after you settle in.
Movingsouthgal.. we are moving to MB on July 17 or 18th. cant wait.. keep me posted of a group of relocators please.. that would be great!

Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 PM

36 posts, read 138,894 times
Good idea. My wife and I will be scouting for an MB residence later this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area