Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 04:57 PM

145 posts, read 359,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryandtony View Post
Just found this thread....We SOLD our home in NJ (in 3 weeks!!!) and are visiting Myrtle now to look for a long term rental...we are renting in NJ while we look and I'm am anxious to move down. We are looking in the North Myrtle (cherry grove area) or Little River....if anyone has any ideas please let me know. 3BR/2B w/ a garage (if possible)...of course close to beach would be nice.
terryandtony, did you read the info from engine12 about their building company? If they can't help you, maybe another builder can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,382 times
Haven't had a chance to read all the threads yet. We are giving consideration to retiring to the MB area in about 5 years. We have researched some housing and local stuff in Conway. Anybody have any "insider" info about that town?

Old 09-12-2011, 01:17 PM

35 posts, read 76,387 times
Default Relocating to MB area

We are young retirees (55 and 60) and we just put our house on the market in Massachusetts. When it sells we're coming down (really hoping to avoid another Northeast winter). We have scouted both NC and SC and decided on the NMB or LR area. We will be coming down in October to try and narrow the decision. This thread has offered a wealth of information. We are planning to rent for a while before buying so it was great to find the information for short/long term rental companies. Thanks to all for taking the time to post their knowledge and opinions, its greatly appreciated.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:58 PM

Default Welcome to the Newcomers and Hopefuls to Myrtle Beach thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by d426 View Post
Haven't had a chance to read all the threads yet. We are giving consideration to retiring to the MB area in about 5 years. We have researched some housing and local stuff in Conway. Anybody have any "insider" info about that town?
d426, I started this thread mainly for any newcomers to MB, anyone hoping to move there or considering moving there. An early post in this thread lists some sites for information about the area. If you don't get the info you need about Conway, you may have better luck with another existing thread or ask by starting your own thread. This thread is general, with not much specific info about any particular issue. Mostly the "hopefuls" come back here now and then to leave messages and talk with others -- It's more or less a hangout place for anyone interested in the area. Some of us are also interested in a physical group where we can all meet in person once we've moved. I try to post in this thread every 2 weeks or as often as I can, so I can keep it alive. Hope you read through the thread to gain from it what you can and hope you stop here again, even if to just say hello.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:10 PM

Default Welcome to the Newcomers and Hopefuls to Myrtle Beach thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWINS View Post
We are young retirees (55 and 60) and we just put our house on the market in Massachusetts. When it sells we're coming down (really hoping to avoid another Northeast winter). We have scouted both NC and SC and decided on the NMB or LR area. We will be coming down in October to try and narrow the decision. This thread has offered a wealth of information. We are planning to rent for a while before buying so it was great to find the information for short/long term rental companies. Thanks to all for taking the time to post their knowledge and opinions, its greatly appreciated.
JWINS, Glad you found the thread helpful. I didn't think there was all that much except for the early post with all the info sites for the area. Other than that there is a little of this and that. Great that you found something you needed.

We are young retirees also, late 50's. Well, I'd like to work again part time at least.. My mom is with us also. Trying to get our house ready to put on the market. You will probably make the move ahead of us. Good luck to you and have fun in October! At least one person looking into NMB posted here and several for LR. Hope you can sell and make your move soon. This thread's become somewhat of a community, a hangout of sorts, so feel free to post again, even if to just say hello. I come here as often as I can, partly so this thread stays alive and on the first page of the MB section.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:49 PM

52 posts, read 103,510 times
We're doing it! Have started getting our house ready to put on the market and if all goes well, this will be our last NJ winter! Plan on renting when we get to MB next year so we can get a feel for the areas we're considering. Now if we could only make up our mind between house vs condo and how many bedrooms we really need!

Old 09-22-2011, 12:07 PM

Default Welcome to the Newcomers and Hopefuls to Myrtle Beach thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia561 View Post
We're doing it! Have started getting our house ready to put on the market and if all goes well, this will be our last NJ winter! Plan on renting when we get to MB next year so we can get a feel for the areas we're considering. Now if we could only make up our mind between house vs condo and how many bedrooms we really need!
Alexia561, your name sounds so familiar to me on this thread. Have you posted in here only once? If so, this multi-purpose thread is for:

Emotional or social support for anyone "feeling their way" through choosing, planning or settling in MB.

A community of sorts, where people pop in to update everyone on how their MB endeavors/relocations are going.

"One-stop shop" for many types of info about the area.

Anything else! For example, some already settled in MB answer questions or offer general ifo, some with clickable websites.

To help facilitate a future physical group, for those already in MB. (Maybe a small group can meet at a local coffee shop and grow the group from there.)

Maybe it would be easier for you to get help if you can you tell us your specific concerns with choosing number of bedrooms. Not sure who can bunk up with whom? Want to have the option for overnight guests or posible additional household members? Want an extra room for an office or whatever?

Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingSouthGal View Post
Alexia561, your name sounds so familiar to me on this thread. Have you posted in here only once? If so, this multi-purpose thread is for:

Emotional or social support for anyone "feeling their way" through choosing, planning or settling in MB.

A community of sorts, where people pop in to update everyone on how their MB endeavors/relocations are going.

"One-stop shop" for many types of info about the area.

Anything else! For example, some already settled in MB answer questions or offer general ifo, some with clickable websites.

To help facilitate a future physical group, for those already in MB. (Maybe a small group can meet at a local coffee shop and grow the group from there.)

Maybe it would be easier for you to get help if you can you tell us your specific concerns with choosing number of bedrooms. Not sure who can bunk up with whom? Want to have the option for overnight guests or posible additional household members? Want an extra room for an office or whatever?
....and house vs condo! I've lived in so many types of homes, from blended-family in SFH to renting a studio in a large complex. Condo is particularly good for renting, especially with a short, renewable lease. I have a strange theory that whatever problems the condo residents have, at least everyone's pretty much in it together -- a "misery loves company" attitude. Good to help with a sense of community. I had lots of fun living in large complexes because I made so many friends close-by, which was important to me.. Of course a single home offers more privacy and usually, more space, more options, more potential for luxury. Before I sign on the dotted line, I like to hang around as long as I can and observe, while asking the neighbors what they think. You have to be a bit assertive to do this but I've found almost everyone is happy to give you some time (as long as they don't have to rush off). I would even ask restaurant servers and other readily accessible people in the area. I tried asking the local police about crime where I live now, but they couldn't reveal anything. It may depend on the ordinances. Good luck and hope you post here again to tell us how it's going.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:45 PM

Default Conway -- seems like a "no man's land" from this thread :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by d426 View Post
From what I remember, you're the only person asking specifically about Conway. Can someone tell us why this could be so? Are there areas or streets in Conway to avoid? Is it a Mayberry type place or not? Are the people different at all from those in other areas of MB? I am not good yet with the local geography, but there is another area near MB called Socastee (sp?).

Old 09-22-2011, 01:36 PM

790 posts, read 1,622,890 times
There are some threads that contain information on Conway. If you do a search, you can find them.

When we were planning our move to the Grand Strand, we originally had Conway on our list. Upon visiting the town, we found it further away from the beach than we wanted especially with traffic on 501. The downtown area is quaint and there are strip malls on 501 with a Walmart, etc. However, there are sections of the town that should be avoided as well due to crime. But, overall, if you don't mind the drive to the beach, it's a delightful little town with quite a few fairs, festivals, local theater, etc. to give residents something to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area