Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:25 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,548 times

Advertisements

Also as soon as possible. However, I said that 3 years ago and I'm no closer today than I was then. Sometimes things just don't work out when you want them to, but I ain't given up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 03:12 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,563 times
We moved to the MB/Conway area almost a month ago, and we are really enjoying it so far. I had interviewed/accepted a job at a local hospital which is what brought us here. We had originally planned on moving to Charleston SC, and we still may down the road. MB was not our "first" choice, but I believe we are meant to be here for reasons we can't understand yet I definitely want to stress the importance of having a job lined up before moving, especially with a family. We found a beautiful rental house in the Carolina Forest High School/Conway zipcode area. I would be happy to share the company we went through (name/info) per DM. This site and the kind people responding helped us tremendously, thank you all again! Good luck to all of those who are planning to move here...

Old 06-03-2012, 09:16 PM

8 posts, read 24,271 times
I'll be moving to MB is 2 months. I only have enough saved to live off of for 3 months... Hoping I can find a job by then. I've always been able to find work, so hupefully my luck won't run dry. I'm a 20 something guy from TN looking to start over somewhere new. I had thought about Charleston but rent seems hire there... unless you choose North Charleston but I think I'll pass. All my friends told me to stay away from that place. I worked all over South Carolina for about a year with a company based in TN (allied home medical) delivered and demonstrated power wheel chairs and such. Other than that I have experience in electrical construction as an electricians helper.. hows the construction business there? I'm looking to find a place 800 or less including utilites to start out.. Just wanting to relocate myself and start over new and try that whole American dream thing where you start from scratch and make it on your own.. well at least thats the way I look at it.. I'd rather be poor living in my own paradise than be rich living in a place I hate. I'm new to this site and it seems that locals are not fans of newbies... but hell, I think thats the same in any southern town.. especially the one I come from. earn respect before you gain it.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:03 PM

35 posts, read 76,376 times
Default Best driving route from Boston to Myrtle Beach

Well, we finally have the house under contract and plan on coming down in September. I have been seaching these threads for driving directions from Boston to MB which give the best way to avoid DC. It also gave a good half way point to stop overnight. I thought I saw it in this forum but cannot seem to find it. I will be heading down there in September and will drive one car down early with my sister. We thought we'd stop overnight and would like any and all suggestions. I'm more concerned about staying in a safe place overnight. A secured parking area would be ideal. Thanks so much for any advice you can give me.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 PM

108 posts, read 227,410 times
We drove down from Massachusetts this past Dcember and used Springfield Virginia as our halfway point. Found nice hotels right off the highway. Springfield is just past DC. I belive we used 495 to go around the city although i must admit I got lost and felt a bit like Charlie on the MTA going round and round til I could take the right exit to the hotel.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:32 PM

790 posts, read 1,621,451 times
We used to live in Hartford, CT and we dread the drive through DC back to see family. I have finally started driving to VA Beach and taking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge up through DE and hooking up with I95 just west of the Delaware Toll Bridge into NJ. It doesn't save any time but it does help keep my blood pressure under control. :-)

Can't really help you with the stopping point. But I will say that I wouldn't feel safe sleeping overnight in my car in any parking area on I95.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
We used to live in Hartford, CT and we dread the drive through DC back to see family. I have finally started driving to VA Beach and taking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge up through DE and hooking up with I95 just west of the Delaware Toll Bridge into NJ. It doesn't save any time but it does help keep my blood pressure under control. :-)

Can't really help you with the stopping point. But I will say that I wouldn't feel safe sleeping overnight in my car in any parking area on I95.
CTyankee, it takes us 11 hours (with bathroom/gas/fast food stops) from Central NJ (near the coast) if we don't run into traffic/accidents/construction around S. Maryland/DC/N. Virgina. If we do it can add an hour or more to the trip. What do you estimate our travel time to be if we did the VA Beach/CBB route?

Old 06-21-2012, 02:26 PM

790 posts, read 1,621,451 times
It usually takes us about 15 hours to the Hartford area either way (through DC or through Delaware) because we always seem to get stuck in DC traffic...especially the area of construction in the south end of the loop. So, potentially it may take an hour longer through DE IF you were lucky enough not to hit traffic in DC. But, my experience is that we ALWAYS hit traffic in DC so I just go around to keep my blood pressure lower. And, DE is such a pretty state......

Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
It usually takes us about 15 hours to the Hartford area either way (through DC or through Delaware) because we always seem to get stuck in DC traffic...especially the area of construction in the south end of the loop. So, potentially it may take an hour longer through DE IF you were lucky enough not to hit traffic in DC. But, my experience is that we ALWAYS hit traffic in DC so I just go around to keep my blood pressure lower. And, DE is such a pretty state......
Our oldest daughter use to live in Berlin MD, just west of Ocean City. So we use to go that way a lot to visit her. Maybe I'll try it this trip (leaving NJ 7/14 for MI SC).........

Old 06-21-2012, 07:00 PM

35 posts, read 76,376 times
Thank you for your responses, at least I have a couple of options to start mapping out a route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area