Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:52 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,798,828 times

Advertisements

meetup is free if you join a group already started and there are several similiar to what you are talking about. It's just a suggestions because I know it sounds easy getting people together but most of the time people cancel last minute, don't show up or never rsvp so if someone else is handling all that, why bother. I'm just telling you this from experience...I'm big at organizing get togethers through meetup and outside of meetup and found it to be frustrating most of the time. I'm just trying to save you unnecessary work and aggravation. It only costs whatever you eat, or whatever you do, you just pay for yourself. If you start a group there is a fee but the first month or two is free. The fee is very inexpensive and the benefit is, people from all over on the internet find it and join, not just CD people. I had over 40 women in one group I had and then had over 80 in another group but that many doesn't show up. It also allows you to organize, greet people online, chat, post pics of your get together etc...sounds like I work for them but I don't. I just think it's a great way to meet people with no pressure. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Here's a tip - if you start a meetup but don't follow through to the shopping cart, they send you an email offering a free month or 3 months, I can't remember. At least they used to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 03:41 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,683,310 times
Default Oh, sorry!

vrexy, I'm not trying to re-invent anything! I do not have time for that or any wasteful redundancy. The club stated is for women only and although I may be interested in that club, I'd like something open to everyone. I think also their meetings are in the AM, not good for a lot of people.

I didn't mean to offend you. Just trying to suggest some helpful information since you seem to be interested in meeting people in the MB area. There are so many groups similar to the one you are trying to start.....not just the Newcomer's Club and not just the meet-up.com ones. There was another one that used to be very active and was spearheaded by a realtor from the area. All I can remember is that her first name was Patrish, or something like that. Haven't seen much about that group lately.

Anyway, good luck with your move and your group. As my friend, Rapture mentioned, it is difficult getting people to actually show up for events, no matter how interested they seem to be when they respond.

Last edited by vrexy; 01-22-2012 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: didn't want to be wastefully redundant!

Old 01-25-2012, 05:37 PM

245 posts, read 496,546 times
Love this post. We'll be looking for a second/retirement home in SC in the next few years. I have no idea where to start our search. 3bdrm/2ba within a 1 mile to beach.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:08 PM

145 posts, read 359,797 times
Default Sounds better than I thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
meetup is free if you join a group already started and there are several similiar to what you are talking about. It's just a suggestions because I know it sounds easy getting people together but most of the time people cancel last minute, don't show up or never rsvp so if someone else is handling all that, why bother. I'm just telling you this from experience...I'm big at organizing get togethers through meetup and outside of meetup and found it to be frustrating most of the time. I'm just trying to save you unnecessary work and aggravation. It only costs whatever you eat, or whatever you do, you just pay for yourself. If you start a group there is a fee but the first month or two is free. The fee is very inexpensive and the benefit is, people from all over on the internet find it and join, not just CD people. I had over 40 women in one group I had and then had over 80 in another group but that many doesn't show up. It also allows you to organize, greet people online, chat, post pics of your get together etc...sounds like I work for them but I don't. I just think it's a great way to meet people with no pressure. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Here's a tip - if you start a meetup but don't follow through to the shopping cart, they send you an email offering a free month or 3 months, I can't remember. At least they used to do this.
Rapture, I'm gonna try to do both. CD will likely be a secondary method, just like putting up on store bulletin boards. You're probably right that I can get most from meetup and it does sound like a good site. I will try your "tip" if I do try it. I will continue asking on here, too though, as this thread has turned out to have many purposes and I think it's good to make the most of it. Thanks, especially for all the info and examples about getting group members.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:48 PM

Default More good info from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
vrexy, I'm not trying to re-invent anything! I do not have time for that or any wasteful redundancy. The club stated is for women only and although I may be interested in that club, I'd like something open to everyone. I think also their meetings are in the AM, not good for a lot of people.

I didn't mean to offend you. Just trying to suggest some helpful information since you seem to be interested in meeting people in the MB area. There are so many groups similar to the one you are trying to start.....not just the Newcomer's Club and not just the meet-up.com ones. There was another one that used to be very active and was spearheaded by a realtor from the area. All I can remember is that her first name was Patrish, or something like that. Haven't seen much about that group lately.

Anyway, good luck with your move and your group. As my friend, Rapture mentioned, it is difficult getting people to actually show up for events, no matter how interested they seem to be when they respond.
vrexy, Wasn't offended. I just try to do things in the least costly way if it's sufficient. Also if you've been following this thread, it seems to have turned out to be somewhat different from most threads, actually it's something different from any other thread I've seen on CD. Seems to me it has taken on a life of it's own. I hoped it could be an ongoing multi-purpose thread and it HAS, but with all the people on here since the first post LAST APRIL , it's so far become so much more than I had thought it could be. I thought it would be nice to actually try to meet and continue seeing, in person, some of the people who have been posting on here long-term and assumed that others will be of the same mind, which some evidently have been. Whether anyone from here will be involved, at all, of course, I can't say. But I like things that are different, adventurous and even experimental, otherwise I would not have made any effort to help keep this thread going. In other words, it's all working together for me with this thread and from what some other posters are saying on here, it's helping them too. It's been really interesting to me to see which posters and how many are interested in the group and see all the different topics, posts, posters, etc. on the thread. I don't know if there would be any resistance fjrom the ("paying") meetup people if I try to combine those with the ("free") people from this thread. I think once I learn more about meetup, I will know. Maybe you, Rapture or someone else knows.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 PM

Default Welcome to the Newcomers and Hopefuls to Myrtle Beach thread! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarag View Post
Love this post. We'll be looking for a second/retirement home in SC in the next few years. I have no idea where to start our search. 3bdrm/2ba within a 1 mile to beach.
Tarag, your ID sounds familiar, but after a while some of the names seem to run together in my mind. I think there are several different paths to your goal, and many can be taken at the same time. There are real estate sections in the Sun News (MB area newspaper), and RealEstateBook.com among other online and hard copy publications. Also sometimes a realtor/rental agent can help. I hesitate contacting an agent unless I'm ready to take the property, but I don't think it's a bad thing to contact someone, especially via Internet. I have a map with come local new communities, but it's from last June. Please let us know if you have a preference to rent or buy and if you want to limit your search to any particular area. Then I think someone can better help you.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:00 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,798,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingSouthGal View Post
vrexy, Wasn't offended. I just try to do things in the least costly way if it's sufficient. Also if you've been following this thread, it seems to have turned out to be somewhat different from most threads, actually it's something different from any other thread I've seen on CD. Seems to me it has taken on a life of it's own. I hoped it could be an ongoing multi-purpose thread and it HAS, but with all the people on here since the first post LAST APRIL , it's so far become so much more than I had thought it could be. I thought it would be nice to actually try to meet and continue seeing, in person, some of the people who have been posting on here long-term and assumed that others will be of the same mind, which some evidently have been. Whether anyone from here will be involved, at all, of course, I can't say. But I like things that are different, adventurous and even experimental, otherwise I would not have made any effort to help keep this thread going. In other words, it's all working together for me with this thread and from what some other posters are saying on here, it's helping them too. It's been really interesting to me to see which posters and how many are interested in the group and see all the different topics, posts, posters, etc. on the thread. I don't know if there would be any resistance fjrom the ("paying") meetup people if I try to combine those with the ("free") people from this thread. I think once I learn more about meetup, I will know. Maybe you, Rapture or someone else knows.
Not sure what you mean by the paying people, it's free to join meetup and join a group on there. Well, whatever you do good luck and it's always nice to get people together. If you plan something, let me know and maybe I will join u if invited. : )

Old 01-27-2012, 10:55 AM

245 posts, read 496,546 times
Quote:
Tarag, your ID sounds familiar, but after a while some of the names seem to run together in my mind. I think there are several different paths to your goal, and many can be taken at the same time. There are real estate sections in the Sun News (MB area newspaper), and RealEstateBook.com among other online and hard copy publications. Also sometimes a realtor/rental agent can help. I hesitate contacting an agent unless I'm ready to take the property, but I don't think it's a bad thing to contact someone, especially via Internet. I have a map with come local new communities, but it's from last June. Please let us know if you have a preference to rent or buy and if you want to limit your search to any particular area. Then I think someone can better help you.
Thanks for your reply MovingSouthGal. I have just signed up for this site. We're looking to be outside of MB but close enough so if we rent out people will have entertainment close by. Our plan is to buy a single family house that we can do use and rent. This plan isn't going to happen for a few years we need to finish paying off NY house first so about 3-5 more years. I've only just started looking on the internet for houses for sale and when I saw a 1 million + house sell for $75,000 I was amazed, don't know if that price was an error or what.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:57 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,713,471 times
Ohhhhhh that price sounds like a big error to me. Prices are down......but a million dollar home going for that......kinda impossible. They must have forgotten an " O ".

Old 01-28-2012, 05:10 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,713,471 times
Quote:
Summering, LOL!! I assume you mean either state or federal tax or both, but if you mean only SC taxes, what if you are too new to have paid any state tax (other than maybe sales tax?). To some extent I've lived a sheltered life so far, but maybe my husband knows about the taxes. I really hope SC recognizes a national DL. I'll find out more about that when I get there.
Actually it is a TAX on your CAR........anything you register.
It wasn't on my property.
They sent us across the street to get a tax receipt. The highest you have to pay is ( if I am not mistaken) $300. That would be probably for a brand new car. Ours was a few years old and we paid quite a bit less.
After you have the receipt...then have all your information so they know who you are. I needed the marriage license.
All of this was confusing to us also as in NJ and PA there is no tax such as this but then our school tax was HUGE, HUGE...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area