Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d426 View Post
Haven't had a chance to read all the threads yet. We are giving consideration to retiring to the MB area in about 5 years. We have researched some housing and local stuff in Conway. Anybody have any "insider" info about that town?
My sister lives in the Hillsboro developement in Conway her and hubby just retired there 3 years ago. I am going to settle on a home in Murrells Inlet next week and have a sister in Murrells Inlet as well.

I like Conway the BF didn't want to move there due to distance to grocery 7 miles. The Realtor also talked him out of the area saying many of the developements are overrun by college students renting homes with multiple people in one house, late night parties, cars everywhere etc. The college is close by. My BIL is unhappy at Hillsboro because they are now building cheaper homes due to the economy. This is happening in many of the Conway communities.

I do have a good Realtor she has dealt with my family for 20years starting with my parents retiring there, my sister Robin purchasing 2 homes and selling her first, my Sister Bet's puchase and now our purchase. She knows the area after being there for 25yrs inside and out.

I guess I should also introduce myself. I currently live in Baltimore and as I said am moving to Murrells Inlet. We will settle on our home Sept 29 and move Dec at the latest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 11:49 AM

52 posts, read 103,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingSouthGal View Post
Alexia561, your name sounds so familiar to me on this thread. Have you posted in here only once?
Think I've posted a couple of times, the main topic was looking for help finding a realtor. Received a few suggestions, but never heard back from any of them.

Find it very strange that all of the realtors I've contacted either never get back to me or make me chase them down after the first email. I even went back and reread my original email, thinking maybe it didn't make sense. But no, I was very clear that we were planning on moving down in the spring and laid out what we were looking for. Strange behavior for realtors, but sure I'll be able to find someone within the next few months.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingSouthGal View Post
Before I sign on the dotted line, I like to hang around as long as I can and observe, while asking the neighbors what they think. You have to be a bit assertive to do this but I've found almost everyone is happy to give you some time (as long as they don't have to rush off). I would even ask restaurant servers and other readily accessible people in the area.
Great idea! When we were there in August, I stopped for a haircut and was asking the girl questions about the area. Told her we were moving to the area and asked her opinion. She had grown up in Murrills Inlet and gave me her perspective, which I found really helpful!

DH is pushing for a condo as he's tired of yardwork, but I want a small house for the noise and privacy issues. I'd also like a small yard so we can get a dog again, as I miss having pets. We're going back and forth on 2 bedrooms vs 3, as don't know if we want to encourage visitors or not.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,640 times
my husband and i looking to rent a condo on the beach in the myrtle area, long term of course, how do we find a place on the web before we get there so we can go and look at these places when we arrive?
looking for 2bedroom, 2 bathroom with an oceanview and balcony

Old 10-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice McMahen View Post
my husband and i looking to rent a condo on the beach in the myrtle area, long term of course, how do we find a place on the web before we get there so we can go and look at these places when we arrive?
I've had pretty good luck using realtor.com, so you might want to start there. Or you could do a search on google. Good luck!

Old 10-06-2011, 11:05 AM

145 posts, read 359,467 times
Default I think you were already on this thread but Welcome to the Newcomers thread anyway :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
There are some threads that contain information on Conway. If you do a search, you can find them.

When we were planning our move to the Grand Strand, we originally had Conway on our list. Upon visiting the town, we found it further away from the beach than we wanted especially with traffic on 501. The downtown area is quaint and there are strip malls on 501 with a Walmart, etc. However, there are sections of the town that should be avoided as well due to crime. But, overall, if you don't mind the drive to the beach, it's a delightful little town with quite a few fairs, festivals, local theater, etc. to give residents something to do.
CTyankee54, This is the first post in this thread that talks about Conway in any depth .... And gave more "depth" to the thread. hehe! One recent poster was asking about "insider" info, and I think this also means which areas or streets to avoid. When I was considering Louisiana, people were very concerned about crime there and posters would say something like "avoid 7th St. between Main and Elm." Is it that specific in Conway? Up here in Philly they say to look for graffiti or lllittering. Of course, poor looking areas, with broken windows, overgrown lawns, etc. are big red flags.

I'm trying to get to this thread more often because sometimes I'm the only one to answer. But it's really become my "baby", so that's fine.

BTW, did you make the move to the Grand Strand?

Old 10-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Default Newbie Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia561 View Post
Think I've posted a couple of times, the main topic was looking for help finding a realtor. Received a few suggestions, but never heard back from any of them.

Find it very strange that all of the realtors I've contacted either never get back to me or make me chase them down after the first email. I even went back and reread my original email, thinking maybe it didn't make sense. But no, I was very clear that we were planning on moving down in the spring and laid out what we were looking for. Strange behavior for realtors, but sure I'll be able to find someone within the next few months.
If you don't find an experienced realtor, I can give you the name of someone who I think is "up and coming" as a realtor. He's a long term investor himself in MB. The best thing I like about him is that he's one of the smartest people I've ever known. He's not yet licensed but plans to take the test in a couple of weeks. Knowing him, he'll ace the courses and the test. Also, I have not known him to ever be dishonest in any way. He's low-key, quiet and pleasant. My husband has known him for about 15 years and I've known him and his wife for about 3 years. Let me know if you are interested. I know you have other posts here which I haven't yet read.....

Old 10-06-2011, 11:31 AM

Default Sorry I missed your post about Conway :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawns2shelties View Post
My sister lives in the Hillsboro developement in Conway her and hubby just retired there 3 years ago. I am going to settle on a home in Murrells Inlet next week and have a sister in Murrells Inlet as well.

I like Conway the BF didn't want to move there due to distance to grocery 7 miles. The Realtor also talked him out of the area saying many of the developements are overrun by college students renting homes with multiple people in one house, late night parties, cars everywhere etc. The college is close by. My BIL is unhappy at Hillsboro because they are now building cheaper homes due to the economy. This is happening in many of the Conway communities.

I do have a good Realtor she has dealt with my family for 20years starting with my parents retiring there, my sister Robin purchasing 2 homes and selling her first, my Sister Bet's puchase and now our purchase. She knows the area after being there for 25yrs inside and out.

I guess I should also introduce myself. I currently live in Baltimore and as I said am moving to Murrells Inlet. We will settle on our home Sept 29 and move Dec at the latest.

Dawns2shelties, I started this thread and pretty much take care of this thread but I am not the best at it. I did not mean to ignore your information about Conway. After reading your post, I would be careful about the Conway area in general. The last thing you need coming to "Nirvana", which many of us consider MB to be, is concern about crime and noisy, inconsiderate neighbors.

You gave us a good "heads up" about Conway. I'm sure there are some nice areas in Conway, with many happy residents, but my family has an impression that's it's somewhat "shacky". Also, in Rome you have to do what the Romans do, and it may be too uncomfortable to try to fit in. This is especially true for retirees, which seems about half the hopefuls to MB. I lived in Gettysburg, which is a college town, and very well-controlled, but even so, we had a student clowning by laying in the street, and we heard some bad language, etc. College living quarters in high numbers -- not so good.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 AM

Default Welcome to the Newcomers and Hopefuls to Myrtle Beach thread :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice McMahen View Post
Janice McMahen, just saying hi and hope you soon find a place to stay in MB. The unit you described sounds really luxurious, especially the ocean view with balcony. I did post some rental agencies a page or two back, but I can post again if you need it. Keep us informed on how you're doing, if you will. I especially love to hear about everyone's progress with their move to "Nirvana", and love to help when I can. If you can't get help in this thread, you can always start your own thread with a specific title that describes what you're looking for. I've found that's often faster.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:48 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,321,360 times
Not moving...yet. But, we got good news this week. The condo that we had the offer in on and was a short sale that took forever is finally going to be ours, the bank accepted our offer. This is in a beautiful, newer building with lots of upgrades and an ocean view. We are paying under $150,000 and this unit last sold for $484,000 three years ago. We are feeling very, very blessed right now. Winters in MB--someday, since we're still working now and can't take the entire winter off--and summers here in beautiful Michigan. We may not ever be full-time residents of MB, but who knows? Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area