Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 01:31 PM

4 posts, read 10,063 times

Advertisements

My husband is planning to retire soon and we are looking for a nice place to live in the Myrtle Beach or surrounding areas. My husband is in a wheelchair, and I need to use a scooter to get around in large areas. We would like to rent a handicapped accessible apartment long term with 3 bedrooms and 2+ baths in a safe, relatively quiet upper-middle class area that is convenient to shopping and hopefully medical care. My dream is to be near the ocean, but not necessarily ocean front; my husband is wary of hurricanes. We need fairly easy handicapped access to the beach, but we are not swimmers or sunbathers. We just like the ambience. We are coming down to check out the area next month and tour possible housing alternatives. We would really appreciate advice from the locals about the best places for us to call home down there, and also which places to stay away from and why. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 02:46 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbound View Post
My husband is planning to retire soon and we are looking for a nice place to live in the Myrtle Beach or surrounding areas. My husband is in a wheelchair, and I need to use a scooter to get around in large areas. We would like to rent a handicapped accessible apartment long term with 3 bedrooms and 2+ baths in a safe, relatively quiet upper-middle class area that is convenient to shopping and hopefully medical care. My dream is to be near the ocean, but not necessarily ocean front; my husband is wary of hurricanes. We need fairly easy handicapped access to the beach, but we are not swimmers or sunbathers. We just like the ambience. We are coming down to check out the area next month and tour possible housing alternatives. We would really appreciate advice from the locals about the best places for us to call home down there, and also which places to stay away from and why. Thanks so much!
I can't help very much with handicapped accessible apartments. I would think that many of the oceanfront condos would be, but finding a year round rental would be tough. I am sure there are many off the beach as well and hopefully someone will pop in with more knowledge on the subject.

I did find a list of handicapped accessible beaches in Myrtle Beach.

City of Myrtle Beach Handicapped Accessibility

In addition to those I know of at least one fully accessible beach in Surfside at 3rd Ave. N.

Good luck to you both!

EDIT Re medical care: I forgot to mention that Grand Strand Regional Medical Center is up around 82nd Ave in Myrtle Beach and at the South end in Murrells Inlet is Waccamaw Community Hospital.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:03 PM

neecewh, we so appreciate your response! The info about handicapped beach access will be invaluable to us, as is the medical info :-) Do you have an opinion as to the safety and relative quietness of these apartments/condos we thought might be nice--The Residences at Market Commons, Seaside Grove and Savannah Shores? Thanks again!

Old 04-15-2011, 05:23 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,258 times
Coastalbound, I am not very familiar with any of those place, although I do know their general location and I certainly do not think there would be any alarming safety issues with any of them. I think Market Commons is an adorably quaint "city within a city". I can't imagine any place that is there being anything different. Like I said though, I am really not familiar with any of those places. I am certain someone will be along that can better help you though.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Neecewh, thanks for your input. We didn't do enough research when we built up here in Indy five years ago, and we are so disillusioned with the neighborhood we chose that we want to make more informed choices when we move to the Myrtle Beach area. Do any other locals down there have any advice for us?

Old 04-17-2011, 03:42 PM

Oh, no...I just read about the violent storms in the Carolinas last night. Is everyone ok down there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area