Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:36 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times

Advertisements

If my husband gets the job he is applying for, we would be moving to the Myrtle Beach area sometime in the next couple of months. We would need to live within commuting distance of the VA center at the old airforce base. I would really appreciate any advice about where to look as far as buying a home in that location. I would love to live near the beach if possible and in a safe location. We are both over 50 with no children living with us. Any suggestions or recommendations? Conway looks wonderful, but possibly would be too far of a drive for my husband's job. I don't know. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 07:18 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
I'm surprised you haven't received a ton of suggestions. We finally hit some good wx, so I guess everybody has gone outside, leaving just us working stiffs... If you don't know the area, using a realtor is probably a good option. Regardless, a few thoughts. In broad terms, closer to the beach, higher the price tag.

Carolina Forest, located off Hwy 501, is a popular consideration. It includes some nice areas, relatively new and safe, but it's huge with lots of traffic - almost a city unto itself. It would require a commute on Hwy 501, which I would not wish on anyone. Same commute would apply to Conway.

There are a number of nice relatively new communities in Murrells Inlet, south of MB, on Hwy 707. Hwy 707 is an alternate route into MB, arriving at the back gate of the old AF base. IMO it's a very nice area w/o some of the issues of Carolina Forest.

Surfside Beach and Garden City are South of MB and a reasonable commute. They're close to the beach, thus a little more crowded and touristy.

Litchfield and Pawleys Island are a little further South and worth a look. There are a number of very attractive neighborhoods. They may be a little more pricey, maybe not. A little further commute but many feel like it's worthwhile.

Just my $0.02. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:45 AM

Default Thanks!

Yes, I have been disappointed to not get any replies, so yours is very much appreciated. I am planning to work with a realtor as you suggested, but waiting for the actual job offer before contacting a realtor. (Don't want to waste their time in case we end up not moving.) I've been looking at houses and communities online, but that is difficult not knowing the area at all. Your suggestions are helpful to me as far as narrowing down the areas I will look at. I was wondering about 501 being a nasty commute due to what I have read on other threads here. Sounds like a road to avoid! I especially appreciate your statement about the back entrance and the communities near there, Surfside Beach and Garden City, particularly. And yes, I saw some really nice homes in Pawley's Island, but thought it might be too far of a commute. But now that you are saying the longer commute might be worth it, I will look a little more there and also Litchfield, which I had not considered. We are coming from the NY metropolitan area, so the crowded part will seem normal to us!

Again, thanks so much for your input.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:28 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
vrexy, I agree with pawleysdude. I don't know your price range or if you are looking for a house or condo. You could get a very good deal on a condo in Myrtle Beach or North Myrtle. He may have overlooked the obvious, too. Since your husband will be working on the AFB you may want to look at the new housing at Market Commons. There are townhouses & apartments that really are attractive. Very convenient to shopping and proximity to the beach.

I am up in MB at least once a week from Pawleys and it takes me about a 25 minutes to half hour to get to the college at the AFB off season. Add 10 minutes during rush hour or peak season. I used to commute to Manhattan everyday so in comparison it is a piece of cake for me. There are many good communities between Pawleys & MB, too.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:17 PM

245 posts, read 761,510 times
Check out funbeaches.com a lot of people have relocated to Myrtle Beach from various places and they seem to congregate there.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:38 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about Market Commons. Nice catch, BayLovers.

It's not everybody's cup of tea, but it might fit your situation very nicely and the entire commercial/residential development has been very nicely done. The commute would be a stroll or a bike ride. IMO, there's also excellent potential for investment appreciation whenever the economy turns around.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:10 AM

Default website recommendation

I am searching around that site you told me about and finding a lot of helpful information. I had not seen this before. Thanks for telling me about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbychoice14 View Post
Check out funbeaches.com a lot of people have relocated to Myrtle Beach from various places and they seem to congregate there.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:14 AM

Default Thanks for this!

The driving distance information is very helpful. Even though we live in the NY metro area and are used to crowded highways and lots of people, my husband now has about a 5 min. commute, so this long drive might be something that would just add to the stress of moving and starting a new job. I will also look at Market Commons. I didn't know about that place. Thanks so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
vrexy, I agree with pawleysdude. I don't know your price range or if you are looking for a house or condo. You could get a very good deal on a condo in Myrtle Beach or North Myrtle. He may have overlooked the obvious, too. Since your husband will be working on the AFB you may want to look at the new housing at Market Commons. There are townhouses & apartments that really are attractive. Very convenient to shopping and proximity to the beach.

I am up in MB at least once a week from Pawleys and it takes me about a 25 minutes to half hour to get to the college at the AFB off season. Add 10 minutes during rush hour or peak season. I used to commute to Manhattan everyday so in comparison it is a piece of cake for me. There are many good communities between Pawleys & MB, too.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:53 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
There are some pictures of the Market Commons if you put that word in the SEARCH box above.
The townhomes there are quite beautiful. The town area was built on the old AFB......
Everything is walkable. The shopping brings you to a Barnes and Nobles, and also a Movie theater....There is a park for walking centered by a lake. Very pretty.
If you like something more peaceful many of the golf communities have homes or townhomes for sale.Most are within a short drive to the AFB........
Because of times like the bike weeks, you'd want to be as close as possible to the work place.
I have seen during even the car show where we had to take a detour around 501.......That highway is just not a picnic at all.
It all depends on your pricing and your wants and needs.........
Do you want a more peaceful area, or do you want to be in the mist of everything?
Do you like townhome living, or would you rather live in a single home?
A community with a pool? Leased or owned land? HOA or not?
I agree with Pawleysdude....in his suggestions.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:45 AM

Default Thanks for the pictures link and info

I'm open to just about anything at this point! Townhouse, condo, or detached home. I think I would want to live close to some action, but not too much tourist stuff because of the seasonal aspect. I'd like to live somewhere that has primarily consistent neighbors as opposed to transient vacationers. It would be heaven to live somewhere within walking distance to the beach that was also a community of sorts. (Is that even possible?) Ideally, I think I would like to have a yard and a nice place to walk my dog and feel safe.

Thanks very much for your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
There are some pictures of the Market Commons if you put that word in the SEARCH box above.
The townhomes there are quite beautiful. The town area was built on the old AFB......
Everything is walkable. The shopping brings you to a Barnes and Nobles, and also a Movie theater....There is a park for walking centered by a lake. Very pretty.
If you like something more peaceful many of the golf communities have homes or townhomes for sale.Most are within a short drive to the AFB........
Because of times like the bike weeks, you'd want to be as close as possible to the work place.
I have seen during even the car show where we had to take a detour around 501.......That highway is just not a picnic at all.
It all depends on your pricing and your wants and needs.........
Do you want a more peaceful area, or do you want to be in the mist of everything?
Do you like townhome living, or would you rather live in a single home?
A community with a pool? Leased or owned land? HOA or not?
I agree with Pawleysdude....in his suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area