Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:14 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate your information about Seagate, don't think I want to live somewhere that old and with the asbestos, etc. That's the kind of thing I would never know unless someone told me. Knowing that ahead of time saves me a lot of wasted time, because I can pretty much tell from your post and the following one, that it would have prohibitive issues (at least for me!) Anyway, thanks so much for your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 09:22 AM

Default southernbychoice14, thanks so much!!

I appreciate your reply. Thank-you. Yes, I think that it a good idea to see places at different times of the day to get more of a feel for the neighborhoods. I will make sure to do that when I am there next week. I also like hearing that there are back roads and short cuts to avoid some of the trafffic, etc. And while having a short commute to work is desirable, it certainly isn't the main concern when choosing a good place to live! At my age (not all that old!) I don't want to have to deal with a lot of fixer-upper type things, etc. While I don't mind living in an older home, I would absolutely want it to be one that had been well cared for.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:41 AM

35 posts, read 82,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I appreciate your reply. Thank-you. Yes, I think that it a good idea to see places at different times of the day to get more of a feel for the neighborhoods. I will make sure to do that when I am there next week. I also like hearing that there are back roads and short cuts to avoid some of the trafffic, etc. And while having a short commute to work is desirable, it certainly isn't the main concern when choosing a good place to live! At my age (not all that old!) I don't want to have to deal with a lot of fixer-upper type things, etc. While I don't mind living in an older home, I would absolutely want it to be one that had been well cared for.
I would talk to the Seagate Village management and ask for a tour of particular homes before you make too many judgments. They are older homes, but I didn't find them to be in bad shape. I toured 3 and all were in good shape. Remember, the homes are owned by individuals and so results may vary; just go see the specific home and check it out. Also, it's a neighborhood with kids, and maybe they "hang around", but kids do that. We're not talking about gangsters or something ridiculous.

I had my personal dislikes about the Myrtle Beach area, but these were never high on my concerns list. If you do want newer homes, the houses and condos for rent off Palmetto Pointe Blvd are newer and the Market Commons/Old AF Base are a reasonably quick drive. Much like the retirement communities of Florida, the Myrtle Beach area is drastically overbuilt with condos that they are now desperate to rent. Squeeze them a little and you can probably get a great price on one to rent or even buy.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:44 AM

Thanks again, torcastle. I think right now (prior to having actually been there!) I am leaning towards Surfside Beach, walking distance of ocean. I know the taxes, insurance etc. will be higher. But people manage to do it, right? This is most likely the only chance I will ever have in my life to live somewhere that I can walk to the beach from my house. I would love to be able to do that!

Old 04-05-2009, 06:10 AM

35 posts, read 82,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Thanks again, torcastle. I think right now (prior to having actually been there!) I am leaning towards Surfside Beach, walking distance of ocean. I know the taxes, insurance etc. will be higher. But people manage to do it, right? This is most likely the only chance I will ever have in my life to live somewhere that I can walk to the beach from my house. I would love to be able to do that!
I don't blame you a bit. Surfside Beach is a cool town. It's one of the few places along the strand that felt like a real town to me, and they don't have the big, ugly hotels that look like 1950s era Soviet housing projects.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:40 PM

53 posts, read 332,269 times
I currently rent in seagate. At first I liked it very much, and it still is a good deal. The home was very clean when moving in and the area is well maintained. However, I can wait to leave now. The POA is a bunch of Nazis. I tried to place a net for some sweet pea to grow on and they said I was distorying their property. They are now placing vinyl on the exterior, and they requested that I move my side mounted dish. I asked them to return to the home because I was moving in a 2 week and they did not allow. So I paid 150 for 2 weeks of use on a post. They dont like clothing hung out side either.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:49 AM

thaxil, I don't blame you one bit for wanting to get out! I can't imagine a POA that didn't allow you to grow sweet peas! I love plants and flowers and am just amazed at a rule like this! I could understand if they wanted to keep people from trashing the neighborhood, but prohibiting flowers? Crazy!

Old 04-10-2009, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 12,806 times
Just my personal experience, I have not had any problems with the POA at Seagate. We have installed numerous flowerbeds in front, back and on the side of our place. As far as I know, as long as you continue your landscaping from an existing bed or border you are fine. You can't just start a new bed or the like in the middle of the grass or in an area that is not already bordered.

We have a large front porch and there is a maximum number of potted plants you are allowed on the porch. We are well over that amount, but have never had anyone say anything to us. It may be because they are all clean, healthy and well maintained.

Also remember you are allowed to put a fence up and close in your backyard (15 ft from house) and within this area you are then allowed to do want you want with flowers or a clothesline, but you are then required to do your own landscaping of course.

As for this obviously uninformed person screaming ASBESTOS!!! You would know about it, because when you move in or purchase you are shown the certificates where they units have been tested for asbestos and found to be clean. If they lived here before the remodeling (which they state they did) then they have no idea what has been done and changed.

I love know it alls.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:21 PM

245 posts, read 761,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torcastle View Post
just go see the specific home and check it out. Also, it's a neighborhood with kids, and maybe they "hang around", but kids do that. We're not talking about gangsters or something ridiculous.
Actually I said "Palmetto point was lovely during the day but when I went back at night there were kids loitering around in the streets and I didn't get a good vibe at all."

They were acting like thugs though...Sitting in their cars in the middle of the street not letting people pass with loud music thumping and girls in scimpy clothing leaning in the windows. It looked like a high school hang out in the middle of the street. No thanks.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:39 AM

Thanks to everyone for all of your feedback. We are here in MB now. Bought the second house we looked at! Surfside Beach, can walk to the ocean. (Yay!) We're so excited. Probably moving in about a month to 6 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area