Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 AM

6 posts, read 138,210 times

Advertisements

There are some things to keep in mind, other than just how busy it gets in the summer.

Our tourist season now runs about 8 months a year. Pretty much from March until almost November.. and gets busy at the holidays. It used to be that once Labor Day came, things got a little easier, but that is not to be now.

It has always been a situation of "locals v. tourists" and sadly the last 2 years have gotten very bad, not just traffic-wise. People who live here that normally look forward to tourists, are fed up. Why? Because visitors seem to think this is their own private area, and are more than a little rude over silly situations. We all understand that tourism helps this area, but SC had about $100 million excess last year because many live here year round now. Visiting here one week a year isnt grounds for bad behavior to those who are here 52 weeks a year.

I have been here 10 years, my parents 23. We are all leaving. Just going to the beach, not even in MB proper, but Georgetown county, has become too stressful. So, if you are looking for nirvana, and have visited here and love it like we do, think twice. The hostilities are getting worse.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:27 AM

890 posts, read 4,326,689 times
It's interesting you should say this. I used to live in NC, now I'm in SC. I have been making Myrtle Beach visits regularly for 14 years now. Never had any problems there until the last 2 years. Seems like every time I go there recently I experience or notice rudeness there, like you said over silly little things. Maybe it's all the transplants, I'm not sure. I know what you are saying, I have noticed it too. Southern hospitality doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Last edited by scjj; 11-09-2006 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-09-2006, 10:32 AM

. . . Southern hospitality doesn't seem to be there anymore

Well the southern hospitality is still here, but we have limits now with tourists.. It really is sad and those of us who moved here from wherever did so because we like the hospitality, beach, lifestyle, etc. We are now worn thin and I confess I have little tolerance for rude yankees now, despite being born one... To be honest, the way things have gone where I am, I see things coming to blows in some situations with locals, vs. tourists. I myself have been so angry coming away from the beach at 6 a.m. with my dogs that if I could wiggle my nose, I'd live elsewhere. I can say too tho that this next year, all of the locals have decided the buck stops here and rudeness in any form will not be tolerated.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 40,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxpaws View Post
There are some things to keep in mind, other than just how busy it gets in the summer.

Our tourist season now runs about 8 months a year. Pretty much from March until almost November.. and gets busy at the holidays. It used to be that once Labor Day came, things got a little easier, but that is not to be now.

It has always been a situation of "locals v. tourists" and sadly the last 2 years have gotten very bad, not just traffic-wise. People who live here that normally look forward to tourists, are fed up. Why? Because visitors seem to think this is their own private area, and are more than a little rude over silly situations. We all understand that tourism helps this area, but SC had about $100 million excess last year because many live here year round now. Visiting here one week a year isnt grounds for bad behavior to those who are here 52 weeks a year.

I have been here 10 years, my parents 23. We are all leaving. Just going to the beach, not even in MB proper, but Georgetown county, has become too stressful. So, if you are looking for nirvana, and have visited here and love it like we do, think twice. The hostilities are getting worse.
It is okay to move to myrtle beach and just chill.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:58 AM

Well, my point is that living here we get overwhelmed with traffic, far too much, and bad behavior for tourists.. so I guess moving here and being able to chill depends on how patient you are.. lol... I was raised in CT and as you know, we dont tolerate rude well...

Old 10-03-2007, 02:31 AM

21 posts, read 178,076 times
Lightbulb All of coastal/northeastern South Carolina is becoming "ruder"

Hey

I'm a native born MB girl but I lived in Ohio from age 7 to 19, so I have a few things to say now that I've come back down to the coastal area of South Carolina.

I remember growing up that people were really nice. I was taught to be a hospitable Southern female. It was only proper, everyone in my family is from the South and that's how everyone is supposed to act--proper, polite, friendly.

Two months ago, I moved back down toward this area to attend grad school in Florence, about an hour and a half from Myrtle Beach (for those of you not from this area.) I was shocked.

Instead of people possessing glamorous displays of southern hospitality like I was expecting, I have had people be excessively rude to me, talk down to me, act like I'm the outsider or the tourist, and in general, treat me like I'm a piece of dirt. My boyfriend--who is a native Northerner-- has noticed it, too. It's not just in Florence, but in Conway, Myrtle Beach, other regions in the Pee Dee (Dillon, Lake City, etc.)

My boyfriend has had to quit his job and switch to another because of the harassment he endured at one place of work-- people threatened him at work because he was a transplant to this area, even though he explained that his girlfriend was here for school and was from the area.

I don't know why people are becoming so rude. Not just in Myrtle Beach but everywhere I've been in South Carolina, touristy or not. Maybe someone else has explanations for it!!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:19 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,183 times
I actually wouldn't mind meeting some southern people. So far all I have met are people from the North. I don't notice the rude if it exist. I lived in NY for 27 years and Phoenix(unfriendly) for 19 years. I'm enjoying MB.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,044 times
sheena:

We're here, trust me... ;-)

Old 10-04-2007, 08:14 AM

543 posts, read 2,363,772 times
*waves hand*

Southern hospitality is still alive, but slowly dying out because of rude transplants and rude tourist. Not everyone is rude, but there are some that I cannot stand!

I don't venture out to the beach much during tourist season because of these issues. I just book a room here and there and take my kids to the most quiet part of the beach to enjoy it.

Plus, you have all of these people thinking they can change things. Change is good at times. But I have real issues when county council cares more about tourist than they do the people who live here year round.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:29 PM

19 posts, read 95,558 times
On my most recent trip to MB, it rained for two straight days. Talk about rude people! Here I am asking people at gas stations questions and getting really rude responses. Then I heard the accents, and I'm ashame to say since I use to live in NY, that they were definitely from the Northeast.

"Southern hospitality is still alive, but slowly dying out because of rude transplants and rude tourist. Not everyone is rude, but there are some that I cannot stand!"

I agree. I play tennis and even the gals of USTA here say MB tennis players have some the most despicable players.
Doesn't make me look forward to much since we were hoping to retire there. We've been away from the NY area for 30 years and don't miss those attitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area