Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:35 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times

Advertisements

I don't find it uncomfortable at all and people are almost always friendly to me. I've only had one bad experience and it wasn't even that bad. I went into a couple salons to get prices and I got the up and down look from the women working there and they really mad it clear they didn't want to help me. I don't know if that was a thing down here or just that fact that sometimes women are weird to other women.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 5,247 times
People will always think it's greener on the other side, no matter where they live. It's all perception.. it is what you make it.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:57 AM

421 posts, read 2,533,675 times
You think southerns are rude towards the tourists, you best not even think about coming up to the northeast portion of this country, trust me you'll get a 'rude awakening' for sure, especially towards southerns. I'm not saying I do this, but I definitely know lots of people in this area that don't want anymore people moving into this area because there are hardly any jobs here whatsoever. So if you're from the south, and thinking of moving up north, do yourself a favor and get rid of your soutern accent real quick so as to not give yourself away.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,039 times
I am from SC moved back after living in Chicago "30" years. So many changes. At least Garden City, is much the same. Alot of the same people have owned for 25 years or more including myself.
The only advice I can give anyone do your food shopping in Aynor or Conway. Go to Aldi's in Florence a couple times of year. Unless you are made of money. My daughter being a midwestern most people ask Where are you from! They don't get the accent. And she has not hit it off with alot of the Northern East Coasters. They don't want to hear about Chicago, Only NY. Like I told her, Our Family has roots in Horry County for 150 Years. Come on down, no matter who you are, just be NICE

Old 05-17-2009, 08:27 PM

68 posts, read 362,042 times
Default Don't consider moving to SC- if your from anywhere else!

Listen we just moved from Georgetown County a couple of months ago and lived there for 5 miserable years- it was awful! I am not from the North, but I have to say that Northerners might sound tough but are usually pretty decent. It was the Southerners that were our biggest problem. They weren't just rude, they were hostile! We got ripped off several times- we were called Yankee's repeatedly. We are extremely friendly people and helpful and we really tried. We didn't bring any attitude with us that we were better than etc... we were really looking forward to living there and from Day One- it was a disaster! I was asked where "I was from every single day" and with real hostility. We were shut out and alienated by nearly all the Southerners. The only people who showed us any kindness was our neighbors- who after living near us knew we were good people. When we left they all apologized for how we had been treated and finally admitted that it was good that we were getting away. Before that they had always seemed to doubt our side or had seemed to think we were at fault, but when we were leaving they all said that they knew how tough the area could be on outsiders. Myrtle Beach and that whole area draws a pretty low grade tourist base. It's not called the "redneck riviera" for nothing- tons of strip clubs, prostitution, drugs, crime and hostility. It really was a nightmare and I can't imagine anyone moving there wanting to raise a family there. It would have to be one of the all time worst places to do so ever. I don't know if they use to/ back in the day-- be friendly or hospitable but they really are not now. Let them have the area, maybe when they get it all back they will be happy. We thought that the beach and inexpensive real estate was just so great- trust me our thinking and our lives took a huge downturn with that move. I still feel very scarred from the experience and I truly hate the thought of others having the same heartbreak we went through. I don't even think it's a good tourist destination for a week or so. I think that people work hard for their money and don't deserve to be treated badly- PERIOD! What a nightmare!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 35,693 times
I have been to MB plenty of times and I love it. We just got back last week and were treated with nothing but respect. we are from CT and we are moving to Windsor Green, we are very very excited and surprised to here all of these negative remarks.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:10 AM

245 posts, read 761,510 times
We moved here last year after vacationing here for 35 years and I am wondering if I live the same place as y'all. 95% of the people I meet are delightful....northern or southern. Of course I am lucky to live in the Southern end but I do shop and wander around all of the Grand Strand.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:18 PM

10 posts, read 35,693 times
I am moving to the carolina forest area in a place called windsor green condominiums. It is a beautiful place and a beautiful area, does anyone know what this area is like? The people I met there were very nice.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:58 AM

344 posts, read 725,995 times
Moved here 4 years ago from Maryland, which is an anomaly, because that's southern to yankees and northern to southerners. I found in both places, you get what you give. Most people, if you approach them in a friendly manner, will return in kind. I don't speak with either Brooklynese, or a drawl, but I've never been singled out as a "tourist, northerner, yankee, etc."

I've found the Murrells Inlet area to be a nice mix of locals and transplants. And some of those transplants are from Florida or the Midwest, not just Jersey or New York. I gotta think that some of the people who run into rudeness here are the same people who would run into it "back home."

Old 08-29-2009, 12:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,888 times
Default Think positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraGirl View Post
Listen we just moved from Georgetown County a couple of months ago and lived there for 5 miserable years- it was awful! I am not from the North, but I have to say that Northerners might sound tough but are usually pretty decent. It was the Southerners that were our biggest problem. They weren't just rude, they were hostile! We got ripped off several times- we were called Yankee's repeatedly. We are extremely friendly people and helpful and we really tried. We didn't bring any attitude with us that we were better than etc... we were really looking forward to living there and from Day One- it was a disaster! I was asked where "I was from every single day" and with real hostility. We were shut out and alienated by nearly all the Southerners. The only people who showed us any kindness was our neighbors- who after living near us knew we were good people. When we left they all apologized for how we had been treated and finally admitted that it was good that we were getting away. Before that they had always seemed to doubt our side or had seemed to think we were at fault, but when we were leaving they all said that they knew how tough the area could be on outsiders. Myrtle Beach and that whole area draws a pretty low grade tourist base. It's not called the "redneck riviera" for nothing- tons of strip clubs, prostitution, drugs, crime and hostility. It really was a nightmare and I can't imagine anyone moving there wanting to raise a family there. It would have to be one of the all time worst places to do so ever. I don't know if they use to/ back in the day-- be friendly or hospitable but they really are not now. Let them have the area, maybe when they get it all back they will be happy. We thought that the beach and inexpensive real estate was just so great- trust me our thinking and our lives took a huge downturn with that move. I still feel very scarred from the experience and I truly hate the thought of others having the same heartbreak we went through. I don't even think it's a good tourist destination for a week or so. I think that people work hard for their money and don't deserve to be treated badly- PERIOD! What a nightmare!
With your negative attitude I don't know how you expect to make friends and honestly I do not believe that neighbors would out of the blue come over and state you'd been mistreated once they realized you were moving. I moved to Georgetown County and my neighbors are fabulous, very friendly people who are always having dinner parties or cookouts, I've met a lot of neighbors I otherwise would not have known.
If people ask where you're from they must have had a friendly interest otherwise they wouldn't ask and by not asking I'd take that to mean they didn't care to know. You don't sound like you'd be happy anywhere.

I don't see one positive sentence in your entire post, change your attitude and people will enjoy being around you. There are a lot of great restaurants, golf courses, entertainment and most of all people that live in the area. I wouldn't dream of living anywhere else, I've made great friends and have a wonderful life here. It's enriched with history from the surrounding areas and the weather is wonderful. It's close to the NC mountains, the beach is at my back door and a short flight to NY for shopping or theatres. I have the best of all worlds but it's what I make of it.

For you to think MB attracts a "low grade tourist base" makes me question the calliber of places you visited. I am in MB frequently and have yet to see prostitutes standing on a street corner, drug dealers roaming around or the hostility you speak of. Where in the world were you frequenting to have such poor experiences? You sound more like a bar rat than an educated professional who moved here to enjoy life in the south. Good luck, any area you choose to move to will be a nightmare based on your poor attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area