Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:01 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerion View Post
On my most recent trip to MB, it rained for two straight days. Talk about rude people! Here I am asking people at gas stations questions and getting really rude responses. Then I heard the accents, and I'm ashame to say since I use to live in NY, that they were definitely from the Northeast.

"Southern hospitality is still alive, but slowly dying out because of rude transplants and rude tourist. Not everyone is rude, but there are some that I cannot stand!"

I agree. I play tennis and even the gals of USTA here say MB tennis players have some the most despicable players.
Doesn't make me look forward to much since we were hoping to retire there. We've been away from the NY area for 30 years and don't miss those attitudes.

Have to sadly agree..we just returned from MB and most of the service people, bar tenders, waitresses etc, were from somewhere else not SC..thankfully not all were rude!!

All though some times people are only getting back what they've put out.....

Old 01-02-2008, 02:59 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,755 times
I am sure that there are more than plenty of rude native southerners in SC. It's not like the brain rewires itself depending on geographic location. I am from AL, and some of the most helpful feedback I have gotten from this forum is from former northerners. Not all, but quite a few of the SC natives give me the distinct impression that they are part of some sort of elitist circle, and I am not invited. Like I said, not all of the SC's have been like this, but enough to notice.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:37 PM

Just wanted to add on--I typically don't get on tangents, so I apologize. I hear people ranting about northerners all the time on here, and how it would be ok if they would only be more accepting of the southern way of life. You need to realize that someone can't just move somewhere and denounce their own heritage. A New Yorker won't move here and instantly develop a southern dialect, brew sweet tea, and salute the stars and bars. Nor should they be expected to. People from the north move to the south for various reasons, and usually try to blend in the best that they can. My observations have been that many well-intentioned people from the north encounter hostility from southerners due to misunderstandings and miscommunication. You also must factor in that Myrtle Beach is a tourist destination, and tensions can fly during peek season. Please don't be hypocrates, because southerners are capable of being just as judgmental and "keep to your own" as people from the north. I say this as a southerner who has lived in the north and has family in the north as well as the south, so I have seen both sides. Please don't be offended, this is just my personal opinion based on experiences and observations.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,406 times
So we are from the north . We are a young family and love were we live (We were born here and our fathers were born here and there parents were from here) . But we thought it might be nice to move somewhere warmer and different . But after reading what you wrote I dont Know . We have both nice and rude people here and I have been both nice and rude in my 31 yr of life . Is this how you all feel about new people moving to your town ? Do your kids feel the same way you feel about new people coming there , like when a new kid starts school there ?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katomn View Post
So we are from the north . We are a young family and love were we live (We were born here and our fathers were born here and there parents were from here) . But we thought it might be nice to move somewhere warmer and different . But after reading what you wrote I dont Know . We have both nice and rude people here and I have been both nice and rude in my 31 yr of life . Is this how you all feel about new people moving to your town ? Do your kids feel the same way you feel about new people coming there , like when a new kid starts school there ?
I am not sure whom you are asking in your post, but I live in AL and have also lived in Vermont, and have family in IL, WI, FL, NJ and TX. I only speak of my own experiences in regards to this forum and travel, and have observed that people have the same rude/non-rude ratio pretty much everywhere. There is no Utopia where everyone laughs and hugs and the streets are made or licorice. I only got on my rant because I have noticed SOME people on here are hostile toward outsiders. Whether that is the general attitude, I don't know. Perhaps there are people who seek out forums like this because they enjoy their own opinions so much that they assume everybody wants to hear it and they already have a chip on their shoulder the size of Texas. I have met many nice, nonjudgmental folks on here and am confident that when I move to SC it will be a positive experience.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:45 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,044 times
Having traveled to many states and having met thousands of people in my time, I must say.. No matter WHO you are, no matter WHERE you are, life is what you make of it.

Have you ever noticed that if you smile, people (generally) smile back at you? Yet, if you carry a look of discontent (for lack of a better word) on your face, people are less apt to be overly friendly?

Personally, I like SC. I've chosen to live my life here, as well as establishing myself, and my career here.

YMMV.. :-)

Old 01-28-2008, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 10,803 times
Hmm... I'm looking at a job with a company based in Myrtle Beach... am I going to have problems raising my family? We come from MN, I don't think we're rude but has MB become a place where they frown at you if you don't have the southern accent?

Old 01-28-2008, 04:54 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I actually wouldn't mind meeting some southern people. So far all I have met are people from the North. I don't notice the rude if it exist. I lived in NY for 27 years and Phoenix(unfriendly) for 19 years. I'm enjoying MB.
I've come to Surfside Beach in Myrtle Beach for over 5 years or so now, for quite a few of the winter months.
Really when you "snowbird" down here, at this time you do meet a ton of Northern people. Everyone is very, very, friendly. They meet and go to dinner together, talk about their states and what they do there. The guys all get together for golfing.
I just have in all this time not met an angry Southern person. It doesn't seem to be in their character to be that way. I love it.......
Having a blend of people from up North can be difficult I suspose. There are all types of people in the World and yes........they will come together at the Beach.
Crowds are never fun.......the traffic in the summer I hear is horrific.
Some areas though are a bit better then others. There is hardly any traffic movement in the actual center of Myrtle. That is a big issue. Some of the beaches are way, way, too crowded. We've learned what to do about that.
But, all in all......it is a beautiful area with tons to do.
I love it here. We can even swim starting in March.......fantastic.
The shows, the golfing, Murrells Inlet.......Pawleys......Just a great place to live. Believe me we have the same issues in Pa back home. The influx of a bolder, and harsher type of personality coming into the state.
Its happening all over, not just here........
Waving, Waving........to my friends down here.........HI

Old 01-28-2008, 05:08 PM

91 posts, read 378,526 times
HI from my me, Hi from my great Neighbors

Old 01-28-2008, 05:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasters View Post
HI from my me, Hi from my great Neighbors
.........and HI back to ya' .......I love, love this state.
Now if my kids would only change jobs and come with me......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area