Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 PM

55 posts, read 87,517 times

Advertisements

Dear Rapture,
You may not feel NJ is not a toxic waste land but it has one of the highest rates of cancer in most of the united States. It also has Elizabeth which has chemical factories which have little regulated control over the pollution. The turnpike also contributes to the pollution and the land has been contaminated by factories and even old airplane factories from world war two! That would be in Woodridge NJ. The area from a old plant had to be blown up to implode so that the toxic dust wouldn't cover the area by the Hudson River. They have covered it with several layers of dirt and will build condos. Check the local papers and the conservation groups. If you think the EPA will tell you the real deal don't be so sure. My mother worked in a plant that was suppose to be built on a toxic area and died of a rare cancer as did other memebers of her office ranging from 32 to 80 in the space of three years. After numerous calls and paper investigations the area was found to have dirt that had serious contamination and was closed. The water mixed with dirt ran down into a playground. If you are so in love with NJ stay in it and you will love it till someone dies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 01:09 PM

55 posts, read 87,517 times
Dear Rapture,
I understand that I may have sent a message just earlier that may sound inflammatory however, it is my feeling and that the sites I have mentioned have been even noted in the papers as areas which were contaminated. The lasting effects of contamination of any land on this planet is hurting it's humans and animals on the land it dwells on. If I sounded hot about the State please do not take offense but please understand this world must be monitored so that future generations of both animals, vegetables and people will survive.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:24 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,675,219 times
Default Back to the advice about moving......

I would love to hear more about Myrtle Beach. Please share stories, pictures or whatever! Someone posted pictures from the car show on another thread and even though I'm not exactly a car buff, I did enjoy seeing those. I'm really looking forward to moving to MB in the next month or two and because of that I am starving for information about the area. It feels like all I do most days is read about MB online, devouring whatever I can find! I am plannning to come there in 2 or 3 weeks to check it out myself, but in the meantime, like I said, I welcome any information. Even about random things like grocery stores! Is Piggly Wiggly the main large grocery store? I think I also saw a Food Lion. Any specialty food stores, etc. Are there any Indian restaurants? I love Indian food, but haven't seen any Indian restaurants listed for the MB area.

I am also very intrigued to hear that people live close to the beach and drive golf carts around. I never went to a beach area that did that and it sounds like fun. Now I want a golf cart and I don't even live there yet! I'd love to hear what that's like from someone who lives so close and uses a golf cart like that. Where do you park them?

And what is it like to live more inland, like Conway, or some of the more rural areas? Is it peaceful and calm, but then really hectic with traffic when you want to go to the beach? Are there many back roads and ways to get around that tourists don't use so much?

Most of the websites I look at are all geared towards vacation/tourist activities and while I do love those things, I would really enjoy hearing more about the day to day lifestyle and experience of living in MB, SC, etc. I want to get a feel for what I'm going to be experiencing when I am fortunate enough to be living there, which is one reason I joined this site and started this thread. I'd love to hear stories about when other people moved and what it was like; more about the "culture shock" of going from the NY/NJ metro area, or other larger cities to MB, etc. What does that mean, exactly, when people talk about the culture shock of MB? Is it that things are so much more laid back, the pace of life, or what? This might seem like a naive question, but it isn't. I get the idea, I just want details about it that pertain to MB.

When you move does the "Welcome Wagon" come call on you? (Do they still even do that?)

Thanks, everyone for the feedback!

Old 03-26-2009, 08:22 AM

I guess all the discussion about toxic waste, etc. has kept people from reading/responding to my posts anymore. I would love to hear from someone again about the MB area.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:18 AM

20 posts, read 80,628 times
We moved to Conway @ a yr ago.[over 50 ] Had been vacationing in MB for about 15 yrs, looked at @100 potential houses progressively ended up in Conway.What ever you do take your time ,the ball is in your court .Watch out for some of the HOA's and POA's I'm not exactly sure how they compiled their rules in some of these places . The realtors won't tell you what you really need to know :especially about taxes and Homeowners insurance in and around the Beach[extremely high].Lastly, don't expect too much as far as responsiveness to concerns from local Gov't officials. It don't happen. In fact I think one is currently on a taxpayer trip to Dubai?

Old 03-27-2009, 07:27 AM

Thanks D.L. And yes, I have some concerns about the HOA's, etc. I don't really like the idea of living somewhere that has arbitrary rules about what I can do with my own property. Might as well buy a condo, if I wanted that! Also, if the realtors don't tell you the information about the taxes and insurance, how do you find out about that prior to buying a home? I know there are websites that give statistics, but how would you find out the specific information about a specific property?

So you drive to the beach very often? I'm wondering what you think of the traffic on 501 or if you know of back roads to get there. Where did you move from? Was it a high cost of living area, etc.?

Thanks so much for answering me. I'm so glad to be back on track with this thread and off the the toxic waste debate!

Old 03-27-2009, 01:18 PM

245 posts, read 762,139 times
They will give them to you if you ask.....if you look at a hundred properties they will only give you the stats on the ones that really interest you.
I live less than five miles from the beach and my hoas and insurance are very reasonable esp for all my amenities.
The rules in my neighborhood aren't any big deal but it does help maintain how lovely it stays.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:26 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,832,690 times
Vrexy, you've got LOTS of questions! Specifics regarding "Myrtle Beach" questions can be very difficult because when most folks refer to Myrtle Beach, they're actually referring to the Grand Strand, which stretches from the NC border to Georgetown. Within that 50-mile stretch, there are many smaller communities in that span, each with their own flavor, regulations, primary groceries, specialty shops, etc. An answer that may be appropriate for one specific area can be totally meaningless in others.

You'll find that golf carts are a sore subject in many areas. Some prohibit operating them on public roads, some specify which roads, etc. By law, if they are driven on a public road, the operator must have a driver's license. In most areas, that's a joke, as kids dart in and out of traffic, on sidewalks, etc. It's not nearly as romantic or "Mayberry-like" as it sounds. They have become serious hazards in many areas.

What's it like living here? It's a lot like being surrounded by tourists in all your daily pursuits. At one point, that meant 3 months during the summer. Now, golf season starts in February and snowbird season winds down the following February. Forget about making left turns on main roads unless there's a light. Expect to come to a dead stop behind a Continental with OH tags in the inside lane, while they decide which restaurant they want to pick for dinner. Think about a thousand other hassles that can make daily life dreary, wondering why you ever moved here. Then walk out on the beach one morning in February about sunrise, and watch an eagle lift off the beach with a fish in its claws, reminding you why you moved here. A recent letter to the editor explained why one family moved here: "It reminds me of NJ but without the snow..." Ten years ago, that letter would have been laughable. Today it makes perfect sense. The MB area is changing daily, as its population increases and its demographics change.

Accurate tax and insurance information is both difficult to get and essential to making good decisions. In some cases, prior owner or neighborhood info is useless. SC laws were recently changed, reassessing properties at the time they sell to the amount paid for the home. With rapid appreciation typical in many coastal areas, that means the new owner will pay significantly higher taxes than the seller. This law has been challenged for a number of reasons, and changes are being reconsidered by state legislature. When you narrow in on a home, it's worth the time to visit the county's tax auditor's office. Insurance is no less complicated. As you get close to the beach, generally east of Hwy 17, the question is often whether you can get insurance, not just what it costs. If your current insurance company also services this area, it's worth the time to get a referral from your current agent, then schedule an appt with an agent in this area. Deductibles can be significantly higher and hazards such as mold may be uninsurable. Don't mean to discourage you, but taxes and insurance are a mine field.

Is it a neat place to live? Yep. Is it a paradise for everybody? Nope. We've been here about 10 years, and at least several times a year we have discussions whether it's time to move back to the real world....

Old 03-28-2009, 08:10 AM

Default Thanks for the reply!

I appreciate your response. Seems reasonable to not get into major details about the stats until you narrow down certain properties. I'm glad to hear some positives about the HOA fees. I guess you do get something good in return for them and it probably does keep your neighborhood in a good condition. I was sort of fixated on the bad part of them because of how the real estate sites always mention something about "restrictions" That sounds so negative, but I guess if it keeps people from having, say, washing machines or other inappropriate objects in their front yards, well, that would certainly be a good thing!! I definitely want to live in an area where the neighbors take pride in where they live and keep it nice, clean, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbychoice14 View Post
They will give them to you if you ask.....if you look at a hundred properties they will only give you the stats on the ones that really interest you.
I live less than five miles from the beach and my hoas and insurance are very reasonable esp for all my amenities.
The rules in my neighborhood aren't any big deal but it does help maintain how lovely it stays.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:35 AM

Default What a wonderful response!!

Oh, thank-you so much for all of this information! You're right, I do have so many questions! Most of them, I know, can only be answered by me when I get there and find out about things for myself, but in the meantime I really appreciate hearing your opinions and getting your advice. I always like to make an informed decision about things and often the best information comes from someone who has been through the same process or experience.

You seem to really understand what I am so curious about. I did (do) have that "Mayberry" impression about the golf carts. I pictured them on little golf cart alleys or something like that and not driving down the roads and being a hazard!

What you said about the insurance and taxes is so helpful. I did not know that the homes were reassessed when purchased, etc. And I would never have known to go to the county tax office for information. Also, I did (do) have concerns about insurance, but I naively thought that it must not be much of a problem or else how could so many people live there, etc. So anyway, I'm really glad that you brought me up to speed about all of that!

And last, but not least, I loved your description of the tourists, (I'll be one of them in less than two weeks ~ note to self: definitely make sure not to stop in the middle of the road to pick a restaurant!) Your story about the frustrations and pleasures of living in that area and then the mental pictures it evoked were very poetic. Can't wait to see that eagle!

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Vrexy, you've got LOTS of questions! Specifics regarding "Myrtle Beach" questions can be very difficult because when most folks refer to Myrtle Beach, they're actually referring to the Grand Strand, which stretches from the NC border to Georgetown. Within that 50-mile stretch, there are many smaller communities in that span, each with their own flavor, regulations, primary groceries, specialty shops, etc. An answer that may be appropriate for one specific area can be totally meaningless in others.

You'll find that golf carts are a sore subject in many areas. Some prohibit operating them on public roads, some specify which roads, etc. By law, if they are driven on a public road, the operator must have a driver's license. In most areas, that's a joke, as kids dart in and out of traffic, on sidewalks, etc. It's not nearly as romantic or "Mayberry-like" as it sounds. They have become serious hazards in many areas.

What's it like living here? It's a lot like being surrounded by tourists in all your daily pursuits. At one point, that meant 3 months during the summer. Now, golf season starts in February and snowbird season winds down the following February. Forget about making left turns on main roads unless there's a light. Expect to come to a dead stop behind a Continental with OH tags in the inside lane, while they decide which restaurant they want to pick for dinner. Think about a thousand other hassles that can make daily life dreary, wondering why you ever moved here. Then walk out on the beach one morning in February about sunrise, and watch an eagle lift off the beach with a fish in its claws, reminding you why you moved here. A recent letter to the editor explained why one family moved here: "It reminds me of NJ but without the snow..." Ten years ago, that letter would have been laughable. Today it makes perfect sense. The MB area is changing daily, as its population increases and its demographics change.

Accurate tax and insurance information is both difficult to get and essential to making good decisions. In some cases, prior owner or neighborhood info is useless. SC laws were recently changed, reassessing properties at the time they sell to the amount paid for the home. With rapid appreciation typical in many coastal areas, that means the new owner will pay significantly higher taxes than the seller. This law has been challenged for a number of reasons, and changes are being reconsidered by state legislature. When you narrow in on a home, it's worth the time to visit the county's tax auditor's office. Insurance is no less complicated. As you get close to the beach, generally east of Hwy 17, the question is often whether you can get insurance, not just what it costs. If your current insurance company also services this area, it's worth the time to get a referral from your current agent, then schedule an appt with an agent in this area. Deductibles can be significantly higher and hazards such as mold may be uninsurable. Don't mean to discourage you, but taxes and insurance are a mine field.

Is it a neat place to live? Yep. Is it a paradise for everybody? Nope. We've been here about 10 years, and at least several times a year we have discussions whether it's time to move back to the real world....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area