Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 05:35 PM

55 posts, read 87,581 times

Advertisements

Dear Summering,
If the areas you mentioned are built on a old air force base is it safe or is it a biohazard of some type? I guess I still think like I am from NJ all of which is like toxic dump!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 01:21 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,790,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by country heart View Post
Dear Summering,
If the areas you mentioned are built on a old air force base is it safe or is it a biohazard of some type? I guess I still think like I am from NJ all of which is like toxic dump!
First, I never heard of any biohazard there and I know several people that have property in there. Second, I take offense to that comment about NJ. The whole state is not like a toxic dump. Please don't spread more negative comments about NJ here.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:20 PM

245 posts, read 762,500 times
It was just a base not a storage facility.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 8,098 times
Default need info on Windjammer Village

My wife and i are thinking of purchasing a manufactured home(for winters and beyond) in Windjammer Village, garden City......anyone have any comments concerning this area.....we are both retired....both 60+......fairly active.....like relative quiet but fun too!!!

whitey5533...........

Old 03-12-2009, 08:06 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,836,573 times
Quote:
whitey5533 wrote: thinking of purchasing a manufactured home(for winters and beyond) in Windjammer Village, garden City...
Well, relative quiet is all relative... but IMO that location would be hard to describe as quiet. It's hemmed in between Hwy17 Biz and Hwy17 Bypass in an extremely busy commercial area. I may be mistaken but I don't recall any traffic lights on the roads exiting Windjammer so getting out could be a problem. Given its location, going just about anywhere will require a car. Other than that, I don't recall hearing any negatives about the development.

One word of caution... I believe this property is similar to the long-term "campground" locations around here, in that the land is leased, with manufactured or modular homes. Just a few years ago, a couple of these campground owners realized they could make more money by selling off the land to developers, leaving the occupants with little recourse except to pull out. There was a big stink made about it but the owners were within their rights. With the down economy, that's not much of a short-term concern, but at some point that will change. In a strong economy, large plats of land such as these are eagerly sought after by developers. When you look, just make sure you're clear on the property owner's legal rights, and ignore all those comments about "it would never happen here..."

Old 03-13-2009, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 8,098 times
Thank You Pawleysdude for all the good info.. It helps to get local opinions. What areas would you suggest we look for a small home ?????? 1,000 to 1,200 feet.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:45 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,836,573 times
Whitey, there are lots of smaller homes in the same general area; it's usually a factor of finding something you like that suits your budget. If you don't know the area well, it's a location where a good realtor can be invaluable. I'm not a realtor, but they earn their keep down here, particularly for out-of-towners.

There are several older sections of both Surfside and Garden City that include smaller homes and some manufactured homes between Hwy 17 business and the ocean. Their proximity to the ocean impacts both prices and the cost of insurance.

There are also a couple 55+ communities which include manufactured homes a little further South in Murrells Inlet. I don't recall their names, but they're along Hwy17, just north of Huntington Beach St Park. Hwy 17 is still busy, but the area is much less commercial. This state park has one of the nicest beaches along the Grand Strand, and it's close to all the good restaurants and music along Murrells Inlet's MarshWalk. Finally, there are a number of newer communities with smaller stick-built homes on Hwy 707 near Murrells Inlet, west of Hwy17. IMO, the Murrells Inlet area is a little more relaxed than Garden City, but you're still close to all the activities. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,963 times
I would suggest Garden City or surfside beach. Great deals can be found in both locations and you are not too far away from your husbands job on the Air force base.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:50 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,678,209 times
Thanks, Debbie, I appreciate the feedback. I'm still looking around and trying to figure out the best way to start narrowing down what areas to concentrate on. I plan on coming down in a couple of weeks or so and just exploring. Hard to do all of this online without knowing the area at all.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:16 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,678,209 times
Default Thanks!

skobos8225 Yes, these seem to be the best so far. Thanks so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobos8225 View Post
I would suggest Garden City or surfside beach. Great deals can be found in both locations and you are not too far away from your husbands job on the Air force base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area